Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default 3 month Post-Visit .. with Doctor

I went yesterday for my 3 month post-op visit. I had to go to the Weight-Loss center. I met with a counselor and had all my measurements and weighed. They had my weight different they had me starting at 352.2 lbs and I had been gauging from my original before liquid pre-op diet weight of 360... ( either way no big deal )... I weighed 298 lbs .. I was okay but i was 295 and as low as 294.4 at home... ( Crazy !!... I would have never cared before ).. but to me it was like I was getting cheated.

All my measurements and the whole interview was foggy after weighing. I remember them saying I was on course and they told me a percentage of my weight loss goal ?? ( maybe ) it was a number like 26 %.. I really done a shut down over a couple of pounds on the scale. It was the craziest visit. I had two women asking me all kind of questions... LOL.

I swear I should have wrote a book about this whole experience, if I’d kept notes on all my experiences and emotions I’d probably have a BEST SELLER.. ( not sure it would have been on weight loss) as much as ( Crazy Law Man gets bambazooled !!)

I leave to go to the actual doctors visit and had another fiasco. I signed in , literally !! Had to electronically sign this pad . Consent for treatment and then to be financially responsible. I sit down in the waiting room with 4-5 other people . I watch as everyone in waiting was called back except me. The room fills back up and all those folks are called back. I decided I’d inquire with the receptionist. She looked like she had saw a ghost when I explained my dilemma. She slid the window closed and they had a huddle meeting.. a different receptionist came back and apologized. I was taken back for a blood draw and I had two nurses working with me. I was asked another 100 questions and was “STUCK TWICE “... Then the doctor steps in and says “You really doing well”.. “come back in 3 months “.. I was so confused ... LOL.. I did ask how/when would I get the blood test results and they told me to log into my portal ??... I said OK ?.. I went to the parking lot and called the wife. “Honey , do I have a Portal “. It took a few minutes to explain and she finally told me to come home she’d find out ?.... I get home and after talking to the wife I DO HAVE A PORTAL .. it’s pretty cool. I can log in and see all my medical history...

Folks I’m from the country .. have an Associates Degree, like to think I’m of average intelligence but this sleeve experience has showed me a different side of living. LOL

I HAD A GOOD REPORT ??.. now waiting for the blood work results. I also think after over hearing my wife and daughter talk, ( they, at least one of them will accompany me in September when I go back.). They understand I get so confused and stonewalled over little things that really don’t matter.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 month Post-Visit .. with Doctor

You are hilarious!
    I can relate to everything that you've said. Your scale at home and the doctor's scale are never in agreement! I'm glad your wife or daughter will go with you to your next dr.'s visit. My old doctor did everything via computer. She no longer even wrote prescriptions! She inputted the information into the computer and then the pharmacy would call me and tell me my prescription was in Glad to hear you're rocking your sleeve. Keep up the good work!

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

LOL!

I can relate...
    My husband was with me at all times (asking pre-arranged questions and taking notes).

My scale weighs 4 lbs less than the Dr’s...imagine my disappointment.

As an IT Pro I knew all about the portal and refused to use it. I still don’t...I prefer to speak to a human being!

Keep on keeping on...sounds like you’re doing great!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Please know I wasn't laughing at you, but with you! I think of myself as pretty savvy medically, and even on computers. But sometimes people have processes in place that work for them, but leave us a bit clueless.

Maybe if the thought of us as customers, vs. patients....but then again, excellent customer service seems to be disappearing.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Don't worry City folk with post docs are confused by the medical industry and their practices. Doc office scales are always higher than home scales. Some of it is clothes/keys/phone. I'm a similar size as you and I weigh 2-3 pounds more at the doc fully dressed without shoes.

Next time you might call ahead and ask to go in for labs the week before so you can go over them with the doc at your appointment. In that circumstance it's usually just an in and out to get the blood drawn and then going back for a sit down with the doc. I also got my surgeon to send what he needs to my regular doc so when I get annuals done at my regular doc he runs all the tests my surgeon needs and vis a versa so they both have all the data they need at more frequent intervals than normal.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I love your posts Russ - please write a book of your experiences! I'm sure it would be a best seller.
    Medical "systems" can be totally bamboozling. I have to sit with my partner every time he needs to order a repeat prescription or book a Dr's appointment online - everything seems to be "online" these days! And don't get me started about customer service!! :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Wow Russ, you've done a great job and please do write a book. LOL It really is a bit overwhelming when you step back and think about where we've come from to where we are going and where some have already gotten. It's an everchanging, growing and learning thing, and that's why I enjoy reading here so much. I learn something each time I'm here.

Glad you've gotten a good report and I hope things continue right on track for you.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Wow how much I've missed giggling at your posts. You are doing so well and I'm so proud of you! I'm about to make my update. Get ahold of me sometime. I'm glad you are doing so well!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

12. Said thanks: