Surgeon
    Dr. James Foote
    Last Activity
    01-12-2020 03:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Are second thoughts normal?

I'm almost three months into my six month waiting period before surgery. I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm doubting that I can follow the diet and worried that I'll sneak snacks and that I will fail. I have issues with fear of failure already with anything I do, so this is a major worry for me.

Are my fears natural? Would therapy help?

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 10 users said welcome SpartyOn to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Are second thoughts normal?

Yes, I'd say therapy will help. You have to be fully committed to change your lifestyle, or this won't work. But when you follow the rules, the results will be beyond your wildest dreams. If changing your lifestyle is worth it to be a healthy, regular sized person, this surgery is for you. If you'd prefer junk food, this surgery is not for you.

The cool thing is early on you can not overeat, so healthy eating becomes a habit. When something is a habit for say a year, it's easy to stick to. Not to mention you will be so thrilled with the new you it will be much more important to you than a bag of chips. Promise. Good luck!

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Therapy will help you get down to causes and conditions.

This is a lifestyle change and requires a 100% commitment to yourself.

This is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. I have a new lease on life. My only regret is that I waited.

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey ;-)

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Yes, I'd say therapy will help. You have to be fully committed to change your lifestyle, or this won't work. But when you follow the rules, the results will be beyond your wildest dreams. If changing your lifestyle is worth it to be a healthy, regular sized person, this surgery is for you. If you'd prefer junk food, this surgery is not for you.

The cool thing is early on you can not overeat, so healthy eating becomes a habit. When something is a habit for say a year, it's easy to stick to. Not to mention you will be so thrilled with the new you it will be much more important to you than a bag of chips. Promise. Good luck!

This ^^^^ by sraeber says it all! It is physically impossible to over eat early on. You simply cannot get in more than just a few bites of food (at least I can't but I am only 4 weeks post op). If you over eat by just one or two bites you will regret it big time. It is a great time to learn all of the good habits for success like chewing well, eating slowly, eating proteins first, drinking plenty of water, etc. I most definitely had second thoughts before surgery and I was really scared but now that it's done, I KNOW I did the right thing.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I was having second thoughts up to the week before surgery because I didn’t think I could do it. I was sure this was going to be one more thing I failed at. But I had the surgery in March and I haven’t looked back. I can’t say I didn’t sneak a couple chips (and eating while vacationing overseas was a bust) but I am determined to make this a success. With this forum and my surgeon, I have the support I need to finally lose the weight and then keep it off.

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents