Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Thank you Sraebaer! WW

I kept looking at the posts about Weight Watchers; I've been trying to figure out maintenance.

Looking at 2 long time members, Ann2 and sraebaer, it was apparent long term success is possible, but each person (along with Tinman) have different approaches. SO I've always tracked diligently my food. I was working with an app that meant tracking calories, broken down by macronutrients (protein/carb/fat ratio). I felt like it made me, for my mindset, a bit too focused on food all the time, even I wasn't eating poorly.

For me, part of the gift of the tool of sleeve was setting me free from food think -- like "good/bad" (in my case maybe lousy?) But judging/judging/judging each day be the focus of did I do it or not? Was I perfect or not? Would I regain? Would I feel crappy? Would my hair regrow? You get it -- obsession.

Then again, I'm kind of OCD (more than kind of).

So, with sraebaer's success with Weight Watchers (and some of you other lovely folks) and Ann2's excellent help with my particular set of weird body/mind stuff, I tried WW tracking.

All I can say that in its simplicity, still bearing in mind post-sleeve needs, I have found it works wonderfully and has reduced my food focus markedly.

And the couple of pounds that needed to come off, are doing it! And I am satisified and comfortable that I am doing the best for my body and my health.

(Yes, I know it may be food tracking for dummies, but wow has it helped)
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Thank you Sraebaer! WW

Totally what I call it, tracking for dummies! I never knew what a macro was until you explained it to me. I can't figure out how to count every calorie like many of you do. I'm down 13 pounds on WW! I still totally follow the sleeve rules, and the fit in perfectly with Weight Watchers.

Works for me, glad it works for you too. It's cool how we all find what works for us to maintain, and there are so many different ways!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Annie,
    So glad that you like the WW app! It is pretty awesome and helpful! It totally made me see that some of the things that I was eating had a lot more calories than I thought. Making those small adjustments and with my sleeve has been really helpful.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

WW is not part of my experience. It could be at some point and so I’m grateful for these discussions ;-)

I’m sooo happy you found a solution that works for you!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

What ever is working is the best way! We are all different and require different solutions.

I was tracking like a crazy person during my 14 months diet (2012/2013) did study nutrition and after the sleeve didn't want to start the crazy tracking again. It did drive me crazy/obsessive.

But by then, from surgery, I knew exactly what I was eating, and would only track "weird days" when I was eating something new. Tracking can be a big help for getting a grip on serving sizes.
    Between my two years curriculum in nutrition and the past year in naturopathy which also have more nutrition (but on an other angle) I was fine and didn't need it.
    Many need to continue it long term, which is fine, but it's feels like a full time job and after the sleeve I had other things to do, working out my vitamin and supplement intake is already something!

But it's useful to get back to it from time to time.
    I went back to tracking my food after our return in France since I was eating a different diet from what I was eating in Asia. Funny thing is I was eating more and that's when my weight loss started again!
    Did it for like 2 weeks. Then again when I stopped the snacks and went back for some more tracking for a few days...

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be 8 years post-op and haven't tracked for a very long time , however; as maintenance becomes challenging sometimes; I might look into the WW app. I'm not good at tracking even though I also have the OCD tendencies and that's probably why I tend to stick to what works for these 8 years and eat pretty much the same way, foods, type of foods, etc. I'm planning on retiring in October and the thought terrifies me that I'm going to have more "free time" to fall into negative eating habits. I work in bariatrics and feel responsible to our patients so it's easy to keep myself in check. I'm wondering how only "self-accountability" will effect my lifestyle as opposed to accountability to others now. We shall see.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    I'm going to be 8 years post-op and haven't tracked for a very long time , however; as maintenance becomes challenging sometimes; I might look into the WW app. I'm not good at tracking even though I also have the OCD tendencies and that's probably why I tend to stick to what works for these 8 years and eat pretty much the same way, foods, type of foods, etc. I'm planning on retiring in October and the thought terrifies me that I'm going to have more "free time" to fall into negative eating habits. I work in bariatrics and feel responsible to our patients so it's easy to keep myself in check. I'm wondering how only "self-accountability" will effect my lifestyle as opposed to accountability to others now. We shall see.
    REGARDING retirement and self-accountability. If you are a traveling retired, Ann2 and sraebaer are as well; they may have some wonderful tips about how they do maintenance when not at home.

I am primarily at home with non-sleeve related health issues, and I have had to remind myself when I eat, is
    1) Where am I in my protein and water goal for the day
    2) Am I tired?
    3) Am I bored?
    4) Am I stressed

So if I 2-4 are a NO, and I'm okay with the others, I just go ahead and plan my next meal if I haven't already. And it makes me feel more comfortable that I am still on track.

Everyone has their own method.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

It's funny, because if someone would have mentioned WW 3 years ago I would have told them they were crazy, to just follow the sleeve rules. But now I'm finding it super helpful.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Being a full time RV'er, I am either always at home or always traveling, I'm not sure which one...
    As for accountability I may become a WW online member, but I still happy with my fitness pal tracking app.
    I did contact my old WW coach, so if I need support from that angle, it is easy to reach out to her.
    I have always loved WW, and when sraebaer told about the program being so similar to our sleeve needs, I was very pleased about that.
    I will go back as soon as I need it!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

I’ve been retired and traveling (leaving next Friday 6/28) for 3 years.

I stick with MFP app and do exactly what I do when I’m home.

I installed WW app today because I see that it works for others and I am open minded enough to know there are many other resources available.

My 2 cents for what it’s worth lol ;-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Being a full time RV'er, I am either always at home or always traveling, I'm not sure which one...
    As for accountability I may become a WW online member, but I still happy with my fitness pal tracking app.
    I did contact my old WW coach, so if I need support from that angle, it is easy to reach out to her.
    I have always loved WW, and when sraebaer told about the program being so similar to our sleeve needs, I was very pleased about that.
    I will go back as soon as I need it!
    If My Fitness Pal works, I would keep it up. The trick is finding what works for YOU, we're all different. Plus WW isn't cheap unless you're a lifetime member.