Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Physical activity??

It seems everyone post about the food / nutrition aspect of the gastric sleeve. I know by reading some are limited on physical exercise. I’m just curious? What is the basis on daily exercise. I know one poster LOVES the mountain hikes. I sorta got a new passion for trail hiking the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC after reading about Colorado .. (actually trying to get my wife interested in taking a trip WEST !! She loves snow).

I’ve done resistant training (weights), been walking daily since the very first week. Found a game called “Pickleball” (google or YouTube) it .. I’ve found folks from 14 yo to 83 to be really competitive and fun to play against so its for all ages. I’ve read some about yoga . Never tried it, but I laughed when introduced to Pickleball so I’m not ruling it out.

I never had a problem working out, use to love local 5k runs. (Want to get back to running them again). I just got to thinking wonder if others have success just watching their food intake (notice I didn’t say diet). I’ll never diet again, it’s a true lifestyle change. I work out physically, daily. Some days are more focused and intense than others.

My wife has been wanting me to pickup the vacuuming, dusting, folding towel workout routine. She even takes the time to write out the number of reps, and sets she’d like to see me obtain. (LOL). She’s a firm believer there’s enough to do on
    a daily basis around the house, I don’t need the gym or Pickleball. She’d like her car washed a couple times a week, the flower beds weeded. She has her own routine. I don’t like her scheme of workouts!!!... LOL

JUST CURIOUS??... how your weight loss /maintenance is tied to your physical exercise. I been told some lose without a lots of physical activity. I’ve found if I want the scales to move and have non-scale victories it’s all according how much I truly dedicate physical activity.

The OH ITS COMING OFF.. if you just eat according to the protein first rule. Maybe that’s true ?.. but for me the stalls come when I’m not doing what I had been getting my steps in or doing some kinda resistance training.

I’m interested Or curious who has a focused daily (workout) routine ?? Or do some just try the nutrition route ??

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Physical activity??

I think loosing weight starts with the foods you eat.
    Exercise is good for everything else, good for physical health and all that comes with that.
    Not necessarily for loosing weight, unless you are a body builder.

The only exercise I really loved to do, was ballroom dancing at competition level.
    We did that a couple of times per week.
    But I do not like gyms or workout places.
    I did Tai Chi, which I still like to do from time to time, but not in a class anymore.
    That is one of the downsides of not living in an actual house.

I love to hike in every country we visit, it is a great way to explore nature.
    In August, September and October we plan to visit the utmost northern parts of Norway, Sweden and Finland, at the Barents Sea.
    I am looking forward to long hikes there.
    I do a lot of walking, which is also good exercise.

But I have to agree with your wife that household chores are good exercise, as are garden maintenance.
    Really!
    I still have to google pickleball...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would NEVER have kept my weight off without physical activity. Never. You know I love outdoors, it is good for my body and soul. Amazing stress reliever, if I'm having a bad day and get out in my woods, just me, nature, and God, I feel 100% better. I think the key is finding something you like, be it dancing, weight lifting, yoga, walking, climbing mountains, tennis, bike riding, swimming, whatever. And you're right, day-to-day activities like lawn mowing, vacuuming, stairs, parking far from the store, and stuff like that counts too. It also has to be within your physical limits; at 62 I now have a really sore shoulder so had to quit my formerly favorite Body Pump classes. For some of you with mobility issues a "Sit and be Fit" class may work for you.

Many large people think of exercise as a four letter word. For those of you, I would recommend buying a good pair of walking shoes and getting started. Start slow, even if it's just down your driveway or around the block, and gradually build up your distance and speed. The start slow is to avoid injuries.

Hubby was on the phone with a Colorado realtor last night. Maybe our dream will come true! Skiing all winter and hiking all summer. The trails are endless; we did a different one each of the 8 days we were in RMNP and there were thousands more to choose from. I always come home from CO weighing less, and I'm not that careful about what I eat. Super fun girl's trip while hubby was Riding the Rockies. He has lost almost 50 pounds with no surgery, just excise alone, though his exercise is something most of us could not do. He's a former marathon runner who always placed near the top.

You are doing great! I've never tried Pickleball but it looks fun. We have a restaurant called Chicken and Pickle where they serve yummy sleeve-friendly rotisserie chicken along with mostly healthy sides, and then have indoor and outdoor Pickleball courts. We'll have to give it a try! We have tried the food... (But I'm totally uncoordinated with any sport involving a ball).

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I don't imagine I'd be having as much success as I've had without exercising daily honestly. It started out with walking, and now that I've been cleared by my Dr. I have added HIIT classes 3 days a week also. It has also helped with my mental attitude as well, I just feel so much better after I've been out and moving.

I think your wife has some good suggestions, LOL. I spend a lot of time during yardwork and we have 2 raised bed planters full of fresh vegetables and herbs. They don't weed themselves unfortunately, I have to get out early before it gets too hot. I think you just have to find something you enjoy doing and that makes it more enjoyable and easier to maintain.

You've done an amazing job Russ, keep on keeping on!

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Physical activity is essential for me and it has to be something enjoyable for me...dancing, walking, swimming are my go-to’s.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Physical exercise is extremely important for long term success.Exercising and high tensity exercise is a big port of my success both short and long term. It has helped me have minimal loose skin. Keep exercising the way your doing it. This is the time to enjoy your success. The house isn’t enough and not going anywhere lol. Enjoy those hikes.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

For me, working out is imperative for me to lose/maintain my weight. I have always wanted to really get into weight training and I have and I love it! I take two Body Pump classes a week, HIIT one day a week and a Dance Fusion class rounds out my week. I've heard of Pickleball! My school actually has an adult league that the teachers participate in.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I think that exercise is the key to long term health and keeping to your target weight. I walk most days and take 2 yoga classes a week. My partner does both with me which is a huge support. I love yoga. I'm not very good at it but am certainly noticing that I am more flexible than when I started.
    The thing is to find whatever "exercise" or movement that suits you and to do something every day :-)

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I totally agree that health is mind, body and spirit -- that said, my first step was getting my mind around the sleeve as a tool.
    Then the eating -- making the healthy choices in the right amounts (way easier with the tool of the sleeve).

For me, exercise is pretty limited due to chronic health issues, which with osteopenia and 24/7/365 vertigo makes even walking sometimes precarious. As in "swiftly tilting planet".

Even with those issues, along with some other chronic health things at 67, I walk at least 8,000 steps daily (unless there is a time we are traveling).

I haven't had any problem with the losing, and am figuring out the maintenance with my peculiarities in health, with the wonderful support and assisstance of folks on this board, expecially sraebaer and Ann2. They are my hero's!

Keep on!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!