Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    08-24-2020 06:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default OMG So Embarrassed

I am due for my sleeve in about a month. I have been wavering back and forth for over a month. Embarrassment number 1. Since my 6 month start date I have added weight. Embarrassment number 2. I bought a boat that requires me to have it not on a dock but on a mooring. I have to take a boat launch ( sort of a taxi) to get to it on the water. I have done this about 20 times with no issues except for today where I lost my balance and fell in. My cell phone, wallet and very expensive boat electronics went in with me. Embarrassment 2A. I could not pull myself out of the water without assistance. Just feeling really bad for myself. Trying to make it my motivation to move forward next month to get the surgery. I have been on the fence for months. Obviously I need the surgery but I keep telling myself I don't. Just feeling sad and depressed looking for the silver lining.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: OMG So Embarrassed

There is no silver lining. You either need it or you don't. If you are adding weight instead of taking it off, then you need it. You won't regret having the surgery but you most likely will regret it if you don't have it. Nobody can make the decision but you. If you can lose the weight on your own then don't have it but judging by what you've said, you haven't done that. You have to take control of your health while you can.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

"I need the surgery, but I still think I don't" sounds very different from "I will give it all I've got to make it a succes".
    If you decide to have the surgery it will require 100% commitment, nothing less.
    So, only you can say what it is going to be.
    Sorry, but I say it as I see it.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Ellis and Dutchie said it all...

VSG is not a silver lining. It’s a marvelous tool and it works as long as I live it. That means 100% commitment to myself to change my lifestyle. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Some of us need outside help to get down to causes and conditions. Denial can be very powerful.

This is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. My only regret is that I waited so long. I’ve been given the gift of a new lease on life. It’s up to me to cherish this gift.

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sorry about your stuff, but it basically falls under the category "sh_t happens," something my husband is always telling my grown kids. I washed my phone. It sucks!!

If you're on the fence, don't have the surgery. A totally positive attitude is required, an attitude that you can do this! You have to be fully committed. Do you want your health back? Do you want to be a regular sized person? Would your life improve with the surgery?

The sleeve isn't a magic cure, but if you follow the rules the results will be beyond your wildest dreams. Totally life changing. Best of luck in your decision!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/18/2019
    Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Thanks all who replied. Not sure you get where I am coming from. Thought there might be some kindred spirits here I guess not. Best of luck to all of you.

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Tell us “where you’re coming from”...

We’re not mind readers.

We’re giving you honest feedback. We’ve all been where you’re at. We can’t help you if you haven’t made a solid decision.

Check our stats...we’re living proof that this works with 100% commitment.

We support each other by sharing our experiences, not by helping people to stay stuck. Sometimes that means hearing something you don’t want to hear.

Best of luck.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

What?!? We are ALL kindred spirits. We are all here for the same reason, we were all large and unhealthy and didn't want to be that way anymore. Not sure why you are upset. Because we told the truth? Because we've been there, done that? When I was new I loved any advice from a person who had surgery years ago and was a success. Their advice was priceless.

I guess we don't get where you are coming from. I assumed it's the same place we all came from, but you must be different. I lived a life of embarrassment, hiding in photos, buying bigger clothes every season, etc. The worst was when my sweet husband bought me a beautiful, expensive Norwegian sweater for Christmas in an XL. It was way too small. (He had me try it on in front of everyone). I almost died. He said he didn't think anyone wore anything bigger than an XL.

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Mentally, you have to be in the game, the sleeve game. You cannot half-ass this. Either you're in, or you're out. Make up your mind. If you're supposed to be losing weight while waiting for the surgery, but instead you're gaining, its not showing the commitment needed. You have a month, if you are still wavering, postpone it until you know that you're going to give it your all.

Gastric Sleeve Member meggieprice's Avatar
    Surgeon
    John Feng, MD
    Last Activity
    11-26-2021 01:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Everyone here has given you good advice.
    We all know that embarrassment and how it feels to be defined by our size.
    We also all made the choice to choose health and life.
    All I can do it encourage you to whole heartedly make that same choice but like others posting here can tell you it will not work if you do not fully invest.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh my. All of us feel the same -- I was HUGE and I look at pictures and ask myself how did I hit 240? I mean, the photos with my new grandchildren are lovely of them, but I am enormous! And I didn't recognize myself as that big.

I spent 10 years being way to high a weight, and my health tanked. I was very unhealthy, inactive, and depressed. I am so very blessed to have had the sleeve, and everyone in the group has supported me unfailingly!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Walter Cha
    Last Activity
    Today 07:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I can understand the wavering. We all had it to some degree. When I decided to have my surgery I did it for MYSELF. I was sick of buying bigger and bigger clothes, not moving as well, being uncomfortable, holding my breath when I tied my shoes and on and on. I am now 20 month out and am so glad I did it. No more cholesterel meds, no BP meds, knees feel great, ankles and hips feel great, stronger, more endurance and in general so much better. You will feel so much better. When you said you had second thoughts about needing this surgery you need something. You probably are like all of us here and lost weight on a diet just to regain it. The gastric sleeve is a tool only but a very powerful and successful tool. I regret not doing it 10 years earlier. I am a little over 6' and started at 307lbs and now am at my high school football weight of 205lbs. Learn everything you can about the surgery and just think how much better you will look and feel in a few short months. You only live once make the most of it. PM me if you have any specific questions.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Larman View Post
    I am due for my sleeve in about a month. I have been wavering back and forth for over a month. Embarrassment number 1. Since my 6 month start date I have added weight. Embarrassment number 2. I bought a boat that requires me to have it not on a dock but on a mooring. I have to take a boat launch ( sort of a taxi) to get to it on the water. I have done this about 20 times with no issues except for today where I lost my balance and fell in. My cell phone, wallet and very expensive boat electronics went in with me. Embarrassment 2A. I could not pull myself out of the water without assistance. Just feeling really bad for myself. Trying to make it my motivation to move forward next month to get the surgery. I have been on the fence for months. Obviously I need the surgery but I keep telling myself I don't. Just feeling sad and depressed looking for the silver lining.
    Larman, I think I get what you're saying. You were in a position where your weight affected and embarrassed you. I get it, I've been there before. It was something similar that led me to make the final decision to move forward, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and FAT! Everyone has doubts, it's a huge commitment, but once I made my mind up, I was full steam ahead. Nothing was going to stop me.

I'm about 7 weeks post op and I can say it's the best decision ever. I am already feeling the benefits of the lost weight, but the mental boost is something I didn't realize would happen so quickly. I just feel better all over both in health and mind. No regrets at all.

I hope you get to a place of peace and excitement about the surgery and proceed, but it's a process and journey and only you can decide. Regardless, best of luck to you and please come back and keep us posted.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

"Looking for silver linings".......

1. "Since my 6 month start date I have added weight" - this is confirmation that you do need bariatric surgery. We have all tried and failed using every diet known to mankind. Gastric Sleeve surgery works - yes, you have to make lifestyle changes, but it is so worth it.

2. "I lost my balance and fell in. My cell phone, wallet and very expensive boat electronics went in with me" - No one died! An expensive incident - hopefully insurance will help cover the replacements.

2A. "I could not pull myself out of the water without assistance" - No one died! We have all, more than likely, had the most excruciating embarrassing things happen to us. Mine was having to get a seat belt extender on a flight. Now I am half the size that doesn't happen any more and I have so much room around me in those tiny seats. I could list so many more wonderful things in my life but I'm sure you are not interested in those.
    Concentrate on how much better your life is going to be after surgery and count your blessings that you are able to have this wonderful tool and make full use of it.
    Surgery wont stop embarrassing things happening - they still happen to me all the time ;-) - but they are not weight related now and I am more than happy with that :-)

All the best.

Surgery date
    07/18/2019
    Surgeon
    DR Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Thanks I appreciate your reply.