Surgeon
    Journeylite
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 10:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New here and freaking out!!!

Hi, my name is Tammie, I'm 53 years old and 5'3" . I had the gastric sleeve surgery on May 20,2019, so only 19 days post op. My weight on surgery day was 258.8 and 7 days later on May 27 it was 247.8. On June 3, it was 246.4 which I was bummed out about. But TODAY, I gained 2 POUNDS at 248.6!!! I am freaking out!!!!!! I'm drinking water but I know I am not eating as much or as often as I should, but I try to get as much protein as I can. I haven't really started exercising because I am so tired from not sleeping well and my legs have felt SO weak since surgery. I took Celebrex for years because I have a knee that needs replaced and osteoarthritis in both knees. Stopped taking before surgery and felt terrible, achy all over. Trying not to start taking it again because of the cost. So, that sums up my situation, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I thought I was supposed to have a steady weight loss. Sorry this is so long.

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 14 users said welcome Tammie1965 to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New here and freaking out!!!

Hi, welcome here.
    Congratulations on your new sleeve!

I don't think you are doing something wrong.
    At around three weeks out strange things happen.
    Some people stall, some people gain an little, it is all part of the same thing.
    Around three weeks you are eating more solids and your body is just not used to that yet, since you have had mostly liquids.
    it just has to get adjusted to the new situation.
    Don't freak out, just breathe...
    You are doing great!
    Keep drinking, follow you surgeons rules and you will be fine.
    Walking is good exercise for the first couple of weeks, just take a walk round the house, around the block, then a bit further.
    Built it up slowly, don't overdo it.
    You just had major surgery and that takes time.
    Take it easy, breathe in and breathe out, relax, sit back and enjoy the ride!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Lots of things could tip the scale. Whether you are getting enough fluids, enough protein, enough sleep, etc. I lost 13 lbs my first week and nothing the 2 weeks following. This surgery isn't a cure all. We have to follow the wls rules and just wait to see the results. One thing I do is I always weigh myself around the same time of the day, in my sports bra & panties and after I've used the bathroom. I also only weigh myself once a week. It's too easy to get discouraged if the scale victories don't move as fast as you want them to. It'll happen. Just make sure you get your protein, fluids and rest. Good luck!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi Tammie, you've already gotten good advice. I have osteoarthritis and have a knee that needs replaced also. If you don’t want to take Celebrex I’d recommend using Voltaren Cream. It’s all I can use besides Extra strength Tylenol. If walking is to painful and walking on level ground I find harder on the knees. I recommend exercising on a stationary bicycle or elliptical. Those are easy on the knees. If you don’t have access to those. You can go on Amazon and get a pedaler that works like a Stationary bicycle but you use your own chair. You can also put it on a table and exercise your arms. You can find use ones on EBay. A good one runs 50-80$’s. I find going hiking helps distract me from my pain. I also look at myself as healthy and don’t let my chronic illnesses defined me. Doing that as helped me do more than I ever thought possible. Keep up the good work. Let me know if I can answer any questions.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

10. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quit freaking out. Your weight will fluctuate, that's just a part of the process. Hide your scale if it's messing with your head. You don't have to weigh yourself more than once a week.

Don't "try" to follow the sleeve rules, just do it. Do exactly what your surgical team told you to do. You probably have a minimum liquid and protein requirement to meet. Do it, no excuses. If you are getting in your protein and liquids your energy should return.

It would be nice if you could start a little walking, but if it's physically impossible right now, worry about what you are eating and drinking first.

Good luck!

12. Said thanks:

13. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Journeylite
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

Thank you so much for the advice! I do tend to forget that it hasn't been that long since surgery. I feel better knowing that others have had the same type thing happening with the scales. I realized today that I need to start writing down what I eat along with the amount of protein and carbs so I will know for sure instead of just keeping track in my head. I'm going to start taking Celebrex again, hopefully it will help me be able to start walking. Thanks for the kick in the pants I needed.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

There is an app called 'Bariatastic' where you can log your weight, food and water intake. I love it. I set timers also to time how long I've been at the table, when I'm done eating to start drinking again and when I'm done drinking to eat. It helps a lot.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

I was sleeved on May 23rd and I have had ups and downs on the scale as well. Overall, I've lost 22lbs, most of it in the first 1-2 weeks and no big change in the past week. I don't weigh myself every day because I find it too discouraging when the scale doesn't move. I believe strongly in the whole process and know that the sleeve WORKS, it just takes more time for some people vs.others. In the very low percentage of cases where it does not work as well, there is typically an underlying issue interfering in the weight loss process -thyroid, medications, etc, but its really too soon to be concerned about that. Please remember this - the surgery was ONLY 2-3 weeks ago. That is NOT a long time at all.

I find that I am weaker and feel crappy on days when I am not meeting my water and protein requirements. Make sure you are meeting those goals - write it down, number the water bottles in your fridge with a sharpie, use a fitness tracker (My Fitness Pal, My Plate and Baritastic are all free), set alarms/timers on your phone as reminders, whatever you have to do to meet those goals. When I saw my surgeon on Thursday, this is what he stressed to me ESPECIALLY the fluids. I started talking to him about not losing and taking in too many carbs in soups and he shut me right down. WE are still VERY early in the process and dehydration can put you back in the hospital at this stage. Again, two or three weeks post op is NOT a lot of time at all.

Also, did your surgeon say that it was okay to resume the Celebrex? I would be shocked and question his knowledge of the drug if he did! That drug is a VERY strong NSAID and can be really really brutal on the stomach! That medicine is known to cause life-threatening bleeding stomach ulcers in HEALTHY individuals, let alone those whose stomachs were freshly operated on. And you are functioning with only an 1/8 th of the stomach size/ surface area to absorb the drug and fresh staples/sutures along the entire length of the stomach. I know you are in a lot of pain from the arthritis and frankly, nothing works like NSAIDS on tough joint pain but you are really putting yourself at risk using THAT drug so soon after surgery. I never thought I could function without my NSAIDS but I haven't had any since before my surgery and have fared better than I thought I would. At the very least, you need to take a Pepcid or something 15 mins or so before you take the Celebrex to protect your stomach. (NOT a doctor and can't offer you medical advice, just a very concerned Nurse Practitioner ).

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Journeylite
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times

JessNP, I saw the Physician Assistant at my one week follow-up and she told me that I could start Celebrex again. At the time, I thought it was odd that she didn't even listen to my lungs considering that I had to use the thing you breathe into to check your lung capacity or whatever it does, don't know what it's called. For awhile I thought I might have pneumonia because I couldn't breath deeply and it wasn't because of pain. After reading what you said about Celebrex, I guess I'll hold off and see if I can get an answer from the doctor himself. Thank you all for calming me down about all this and giving me some good advice!

21. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammie1965 View Post
    JessNP, I saw the Physician Assistant at my one week follow-up and she told me that I could start Celebrex again. At the time, I thought it was odd that she didn't even listen to my lungs considering that I had to use the thing you breathe into to check your lung capacity or whatever it does, don't know what it's called. For awhile I thought I might have pneumonia because I couldn't breath deeply and it wasn't because of pain. After reading what you said about Celebrex, I guess I'll hold off and see if I can get an answer from the doctor himself. Thank you all for calming me down about all this and giving me some good advice!
    We were all told no NSAIDS. Maybe double check to be sure?

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Stalls and fluctuations are normal.

No need for freaking out. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Please check with your Dr about NSAIDs.

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Everyone has already provided all the great responses. It's awesome here isn't it? Congratulations on surgery and you are doing fine. Every day is a little better and soon you'll be unstoppable.

27. Said thanks: