Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    05-03-2020 10:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default going for surgery alone

I'm having my procedure this week, and came across an issue. My husband won't be able to stay at the hospital with me because of work. He is going to drop me off, and come in the evening. I haven't told any family members about it (I wanted to avoid unsolicited advice) I'm actually okay with this (I had a major 16 hour brain surgery last year, so this is a lot less stressful) . I'm More so worried about my belongings.

Did any of you go to the hospital alone? How were your belongs like cell phone stored?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: going for surgery alone

The hospital that I had surgery at wouldn't do my surgery unless there was somebody in the waiting area for the doctor to talk to in case of emergency. Most likely they won't allow that to happen. You may want to call the hospital to find out so that you don't have to reschedule.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

I was completely alone for my surgery (and that was the way I wanted it it to be). My husband basically dropped me off and left. Stayed for about 10 minutes to make sure everything was on schedule and ensure that they had his number for emergency but that was it. The hospital was over an hour away and he had to leave to be home in time to pick my daughter up from kindergarten. That was early Thursday morning and I saw him and my daughter Friday afternoon. I made sure everyone I encountered was fully aware that I was alone (pre-op, anesthesia, my surgeon, his PA, etc) and my belongings were put into a "locker" per the pre-op nurse, but I don't know who actually had the key. Every thing was labeled with very detailed, pre-printed, bar-coded labels - purse, overnight bag, glasses, phone. My phone and glasses were with me literally to the very last second (my mom was texting me like crazy). When I woke up in recovery room about 4-5 hours later, my belongings were with me on the stretcher, actually stored just below on the bottom of the stretcher. As soon as I woke up the nurses dug out my glasses (because I was blind) and my phone so I could contact family.

As an aside - after 25 years together, my husband has proven to be THE WORST person to be in hospital with as either patient or visitor. Just being inside of a hospital, he begins to get sweaty, dizzy, nauseated, short of breath, pains in his chest. He claims he can't breath, there's no air, and it smells horrible. He was not even allowed to be present for the birth of our daughter via C-section, lol. I want the medical team to be focused on ME, not trying to comfort him during a full-blown panic attack!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    05-03-2020 10:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

In my pre surgery paper work, it just says that someone had to pick you up, you can't drive home yourself. I'm really hoping that's the case.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nomad9988 View Post
    (I had a major 16 hour brain surgery last year, so this is a lot less stressful) . I'm More so worried about my belongings.

Did any of you go to the hospital alone? How were your belongs like cell phone stored?
    Oh my !!! brain surgery!!! must have been so scary!!! the sleeve will be a piece of cake compared to that!!

For my sleeve I was in Asia, my husband was able to stay with me and wait in my room so no worries.

I had an other surgery in March (this time in France) and had a safe in my room, since my husband couldn't stay this time he was on call, he dropped me the evening before and came back in the afternoon after the surgery. I was not back so he waited a long time. He was the one who opened the safe for me, since I couldn't lift my arms. A nurse would have been able to help if I was alone.

In other hospitals, when there is no safe in the room, they have a large safe in the ward, a nurse just make an inventory of what needs to be stored, put everything in a sealed plastic bag lock it when you leave for the OR and bring it back to you after surgery.

Your hospital will probably have solutions for your belongings, if you call the receptionist, she/he will probably able to let you know how they proceed.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Bring as little as possible, if you're in the states you won't really need anything except maybe chapstick. I was only there one night, and basically slept and walked a little. Never even turned on the TV. Didn't care about my phone. Have your husband keep it if you're worried about it, they have land lines! I don't think there will be a problem being alone if you leave some contact phone numbers. When he visits after work he can take you walking around the halls. During the day a nurse could do that, just ask.

Best of luck to you! Totally exciting to be starting a new life!! And this will be 100% easier than brain surgery!! (So happy that worked out.)

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

I wasn’t alone... I did follow the instruction to bring as little as possible. The hospital staff labeled everything and it was all with me when I woke up. They want everything to go smoothly, just as you do.

Brain surgery is super major! VSG is minor in comparison.

Sending All Good Thoughts and Prayers. Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey ;-)

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't think that will be a problem since he is coming by after he gets off from work. I think as long as someone is available to pick you up when you are released, you will be fine.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

My Partner was with me until I went into the operating theatre then didn't come back until later that evening when I was back in my room. The surgeon and nurses had phoned him to let him know that all was good and that the surgery had gone well.
    I didn't need him to be there (there was nothing he could do except sit and wait) - I was dozy for most of the afternoon and he was happy once he knew that I was ok.
    He had my phone etc and bought that with him when he came back.
    I was in for 2 nights and he was back on the second day for a while and then there to pick me up and take me home when I was discharged. That was when his nursing duties commenced ;-)

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

I didn't want my husband there. They told me to bring all my meds with me and I had problems with him stealing my medicine. I requested to go alone and they told me they required someone to be in the waiting room for me in case of emergency. Thankfully, my moms schedule cleared up last minute so I knew my medicine was safe. Lol

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150