Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default What are (were) your top ten kitchen gadgets?

I personally love(d) to hear what other people use in the preparing of foods we need to have after the surgery.
    So, what are the most useful things for you?
    I still use a lot of those actually.

For me they are, in no particular order:

1. Blender.
    I use it to make my smoothies, my oatmeal flour or other homemade flours, prepare batter etc.
    I used it a lot during my liquid period, after the clear liquid period.

2. Kitchen scales.
    I can't work without it.
    I still weigh my portions from time to time, to make sure my "eyeball" portion is not getting bigger and bigger (which it does... my eyes are still bigger than my stomach)

3. Measuring cups.
    Still use them foor cooking and also for measuring my portions.

4. Small airtight containers.
    These are great for meal prep purposes, but also to take food with you to work or on the road.
    I also portion my food, put it in one of those containers and pop it in the freezer.
    I used to have a lot of those plastic, disposable, 1-ounce and 2-ounce containers with a lid, they were perfect portion sizes for the first couple of months.

5. My insulated little stainless steel bowl.
    It holds one complete meal (I think it holds 200 ml) and it keeps it warm, so I am not eating cold food by the time I am finished.
    I love that little thing!
    I hate eating of a baby plate for the rest of my life, I am not a baby...

6. My bariatric utensils.
    Same thing, I don't want to eat with children's cutlery.
    I bought a very cute set of utensils, especially for bariatric patients.
    Now I am sure my bites are not too big.
    Learned the hard way that too big a bite is no fun, and you think you would learn from that, but no... I am pityfull...

7. Ziplock bags in all sizes.
    Same as the plastic containers, I use it to freeze meals and save leftovers.

8. Heavy duty aluminium foil.
    I use that to make little "compartments" in a larger oven pan, to make a couple of individual bakes without having to buy separate forms. I also do the same with muffin tins, I use those to make little tuna bakes or other bakes, not just muffins or egg bites.

9. a Timer.
    I don't use that very often anymore, but I did use it for warnings to drink or eat. I also used it to time my meals, as I almost always eat way too fast... same as with the bites, I am not very smart it seems. So I still use it from time to time to check how long I am doing with my meal. And sure enough, it's always too fast...

10. My Fitness Pal app.
    Not necessarily in the kitchen, but I couldn't do without it.
    The first two years I also wrote everything down in a journal, but I don't do that anymore. I still use those notes to see what and how much I was eating to help other people with their questions.
    I use MFP every day and log every bite I take. It keeps me on track. I also still weigh myself every morning, I seem to need that, it puts my mind at ease.

So, that was it for me.
    What items are or were most helpful to you?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: What are (were) your top ten kitchen gadgets?

You'd have to ask my husband the cook. I'd say what he uses the most is is the cast iron pan. He uses it for everything, often on the grill, to cook salmon, veggies, potatoes, everything. Oh, and he loves his big ass knives, even if it's to cut something really small. Must be a guy thing. (But no complaints here, without him I would probably still be fat. Every night it's a protein and a veggie, our self-imposed rule of 2).

All I use my kitchen scale for is to weigh my clothes before Weight Watchers. Always looking for the lightest outfit!!

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

lol!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

My wife has been raving about her new Instana Pot. She cooks our meals 3 or 4 nights a week in it. She can cook a protein and steam veggies in a very short period of time. ( best purchase I’ve made).

I love my NINJA BLENDER. I do a protein shake with PB2 and ice almost daily and it’s the bomb.

We also got an air fryer, my wife and son REALLY LIKE it.. I haven’t found much I want (can) eat from the air fryer. But it’s been a big favorite too.

I have several cast iron pans that we hadn’t used ?... but reading this thread and seeing them used on the grill ? Has given me ideas already for dinner tonight. It’s not a kitchen utensil but my two grills are by far the most used item we have other than the instant pot. Cooking has become a fun family adventure. My daughter who is considering WLS is the best cook and can whip up several things some nutritionist and other just plain Southern Fat Feast.

But we all have been trying to fix the healthiest meals possible and it’s been a lot of fun thinking ..finding , trying new recipes. And ways to prep food

Russ

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

All of the above ^^^ !

I would add Ninja Pro for smoothies, gas grill and small crockpot (2 quart).

I’ve been eyeing the instapot/air fryer with interest. I’m waiting for the price to drop and/or sale price.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thanks Russ.
    I've also heard some good things about the Air Fryer.
    I want one of those in due time.
    A friend of mine (also a wls person) has lots and lots of recipes for this thing.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Got my first Instant Pot in 2013 or 2014 when my fav pressure cooker was killed by the children (don't ask, still upset about it) we were in the US and I was still doing a lot of batch cooking at that time.
    Then we moved to Taiwan (Summer 2014), my kitchen became a shoe box and I had to store most of my kitchen tools in storage, so I kept the IP (since it could be used as a slow cooker too).
    Used it for everything, making soup, stews, steam veggies...even fast boiled eggs is better, taking off the shell is so easy that way!

Had a long Summer in France in 2015, got one for our house in France, so convenient with so many guests, I could whisk a meal in no time...even got the pot with non stick ceramic inside.

Besides the Instant Pot, I cut more small pieces since the sleeve, so more wood boards, better knives too.
    Lots of parchemin paper to roast veggies or meat in the oven.
    a few muffin pans with ceramic coating to make small crustless quiches, fish and meat loaf etc even froze bone broth in there to be able to portion it ...

I also use different mixers, one hand mixer for soups, one "bullet kind" for protein shakes and one tiny glass bowl mixer to do small preps and not have to clean the "beast"...if I need only a small amount..

PS : forgot about the Kitchenaid!!! Had an Artisan for many years (even in my tiny kitchen in Taiwan!), also got one for our other house. I'm not baking that much but like to whisk my egg white for savory things in there, it's much better than a manual whisk and I can do something else in the mean time. I also like to use the meat grinder attachment. Especially since the sleeve, I've been using more ground beef or pork since it's easier for my stomach, and the best way to get lean meat is to make it myself really lean and discard all fat! so I buy meat in bulk when on sale, my husband help me prep and I freeze many convenient one pounds bags that way.
    Also with my hand arthritis getting so bad those past months, I use it more to protect my hands, even for simple tasks like an omelet.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Now, it is my Nutribullet but before it was EVERYTHING in the kitchen. I absolutely love to cook and bake. I still do it. I just do it for my church. One of these days I'm going to do a low carb dessert for church and see if they notice. Lol

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

My knives.

The more I cut and slice and dice (mostly veggies) to prepare my meals, the healthier my meals are.

Also, I usually pre-cut all the meat (mostly chicken) I put into stir fries, salads, etc. I cut the pieces pretty small. And chew the pieces really good! All that slows down the meal to at least 20 minutes, which helps the nutrients to make me fuller and sated so I'm not hungry after the meal.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

So this week I'm trying something new. Meal prepping! I just purchased:
    1. an air fryer--LOVE IT
    2. microwavable compartmentalized containers

On a regular basis I use my WW food scale. I have to weigh my meat
    Measuring cups
    Blender - for protein shakes
    Blender bottles tall and short. I love the short ones for work so that they fit in the refrigerator in my office.
    Crockpot!!! Love it for just about anything!!

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Love this post, gets me inspired! Haven't been cooking much with being on liquids for the past 3+ weeks and prior to that, working over 60 hours a week. Can't wait to get back into cooking again! Some of my favs:

1) My digital kitchen scale

2) My measuring cups and spoons

3) 5 qt stainless "everything" pot that I love for cooking just about everything, soups, stews, pastas, vegetables

4) Oversized Stainless cooking utensils, cheap set from Ikea, wish I'd bought two

5) My grill - going to get reacquainted with my old friend!

6) My Wok pan, great for stir frying veggies, may need to replace it though, getting a little beat up

7) My crock pot -need to get reacquainted with this one again too. Want my meats to be soft and juicy!

8) Plan to purchase little food storage cubes/containers to store and freeze serving-size portions of food, glass ones, so sick of plastic!

9) and 10) are my "wish" list: New knives and an insta-pot!

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I personally love(d) to hear what other people use in the preparing of foods we need to have after the surgery.
    So, what are the most useful things for you?
    I still use a lot of those actually.

For me they are, in no particular order:

1. Blender.
    I use it to make my smoothies, my oatmeal flour or other homemade flours, prepare batter etc.
    I used it a lot during my liquid period, after the clear liquid period.

2. Kitchen scales.
    I can't work without it.
    I still weigh my portions from time to time, to make sure my "eyeball" portion is not getting bigger and bigger (which it does... my eyes are still bigger than my stomach)

3. Measuring cups.
    Still use them foor cooking and also for measuring my portions.

4. Small airtight containers.
    These are great for meal prep purposes, but also to take food with you to work or on the road.
    I also portion my food, put it in one of those containers and pop it in the freezer.
    I used to have a lot of those plastic, disposable, 1-ounce and 2-ounce containers with a lid, they were perfect portion sizes for the first couple of months.

5. My insulated little stainless steel bowl.
    It holds one complete meal (I think it holds 200 ml) and it keeps it warm, so I am not eating cold food by the time I am finished.
    I love that little thing!
    I hate eating of a baby plate for the rest of my life, I am not a baby...

6. My bariatric utensils.
    Same thing, I don't want to eat with children's cutlery.
    I bought a very cute set of utensils, especially for bariatric patients.
    Now I am sure my bites are not too big.
    Learned the hard way that too big a bite is no fun, and you think you would learn from that, but no... I am pityfull...

7. Ziplock bags in all sizes.
    Same as the plastic containers, I use it to freeze meals and save leftovers.

8. Heavy duty aluminium foil.
    I use that to make little "compartments" in a larger oven pan, to make a couple of individual bakes without having to buy separate forms. I also do the same with muffin tins, I use those to make little tuna bakes or other bakes, not just muffins or egg bites.

9. a Timer.
    I don't use that very often anymore, but I did use it for warnings to drink or eat. I also used it to time my meals, as I almost always eat way too fast... same as with the bites, I am not very smart it seems. So I still use it from time to time to check how long I am doing with my meal. And sure enough, it's always too fast...

10. My Fitness Pal app.
    Not necessarily in the kitchen, but I couldn't do without it.
    The first two years I also wrote everything down in a journal, but I don't do that anymore. I still use those notes to see what and how much I was eating to help other people with their questions.
    I use MFP every day and log every bite I take. It keeps me on track. I also still weigh myself every morning, I seem to need that, it puts my mind at ease.

So, that was it for me.
    What items are or were most helpful to you?
    Never did any of that other than the blender and that was given away within 3 months...

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Have to agree on:

Kitchen scales - still weigh my food and will do to keep myself accountable

Measuring cups - as above still measure out my food.

Small airtight containers - these are great for taking my lunch to work and keeping left overs in the fridge/freezer.

I am very interested in your insulated little stainless steel bowl. '
    "It holds one complete meal (I think it holds 200 ml) and it keeps it warm, so I am not eating cold food by the time I am finished."
    The one thing that I really can't get used to is my meal going cold because it take so long to eat. Where did you get this please?

Also I am using my slow cooker a lot more now we are heading into Winter. I find red meat very hard to digest but pop some beef or lamb into the slow cooker with some veg and herbs and it is delicious and much easier to digest. My partner who didn't really like "wet" food is a convert too :-)

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I bought my stainless steel bowl in China, from Ali Express.
    Can you order from Ali in NZ?

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Doree...5348514b866-34

Mine is a little bit different, it is shiny, not matte.
    The diameter is 11 centimeters.
    I bought it for around $2,-, and the sipping was free!
    Unbelievable.
    I think Amazon carries something like this too.

Here's a link to my bariatric cutlery, I think it is a really cute set!
    https://www.bariatriccookery.com/siz...atric-cutlery/

28. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thank y'all for your replies!
    I see now that I have to buy in instant pot!
    I also love my slow cooker.
    And oh yes, my wok pan!
    I use that almost at a daily basis.
    And I also need that air fryer and a new set of kitchen knives.

30. Said thanks: