Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 02:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times
    Was Thanked 134 Times in 78 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Hi!!! Guess Who’s Back!!

Hi All,

It has been awhile. I’ve had some extreme health issues not too long after my sleeve surgery, but not sleeve related. Some stupid docs were part of it and my hands suffer because of it. I have pain and numbness in both.

I know Annie has been keeping some of you in the loop. It has been a scary ride and we didn’t think I’d make it a few times. My dad came close to putting a feeding tube in me when I couldn’t keep food down. Only to have one of my many docs say - you had weight loss surgery- you don’t eat that much anyway. I said I still have to eat and my dad said - she doesn’t even get a 100 calories a day. Amazing who can practice medicine these days. I had multiple plural effusions and major back surgery when a spinal infection destroyed two vertebrae and caused my spine to split in half. 12 hour operation at the U of Minnesota, a cage and some long rods later - here I am!! ;-)

I’m down around 70 pounds. 20 was from when I could not keep food down. Looking to lose 30 more but might back off if my butt gets too boney. I’m battling a skin sheer in two spots and it doesn’t want to get better. I have lost a lot on my legs. My boobs are smaller, but still have em. I have so many Torrid bras that I hope a friend can lose. It is nice to hear when people noticed. With my health issues I got pumped full of fluid each hospital stay and steroids. One time they put 36 pounds on me. Ohh was I mad! Give me Lasix - stat!! I’d finally get it off my face where it likes to stay and get admitted again. Ugh! Still have some now.

I’m finally going back to work Monday part time 3 hours a day 3 days a week to start off with. I haven’t worked since early November. I’m in OT for my hands and PT to work on getting my body strength back. I’m still very weak and have a long way to go, but I’m going to push on strong. Grateful my Lupus remained calm through it all.

Hope all is well with everyone!
    HW: 245.4 SW: 243 CW: 160 GW: 135

2. Said thanks:

3. The following 9 users said welcome Kristi7928 to GastricSleeve.com!

4. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hi!!! Guess Who’s Back!!

Whiiiii!
    Kristie!
    So great to see you.
    Yes, Annie did a great job, but it is much better to have you back in person.
    You went through a lot... are these things all one-time events?
    I'll pray for you that you will be able to lead a healthy life from now on.
    Having had wls will probably help with that?

I think you are a very brave young woman and I wish you a long, healthy, carefree life!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Good to hear your voice, Kristi.

Thanks for showing up here. <3

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome back Kristi!

Annie did a great job of keeping us up to date. I’m so happy you’re back with us.

I continue to send All Good Thoughts and Prayers for a speedy recovery ;-)

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

So grateful our Kristi girl is back! And congratulations on the weight loss, although a most unconventional journey!

Prayers for OT and PT to kick in and things get to back to more normal. Hugs to your dad for all his good cares!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Annie is your angel that's for sure! So happy to hear things are improving. Hope and pray every day gets better.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member meggieprice's Avatar
    Surgeon
    John Feng, MD
    Last Activity
    11-26-2021 01:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Wow- you are a true example of the triumph of the human spirit.
    I have been whining a lot about losing my sister and father in a few short months and now having gall bladder surgery but having read your story I will just shut up!
    You go girl!

Gastric Sleeve Member Kristi7928's Avatar
    Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Whiiiii!
    Kristie!
    So great to see you.
    Yes, Annie did a great job, but it is much better to have you back in person.
    You went through a lot... are these things all one-time events?
    I'll pray for you that you will be able to lead a healthy life from now on.
    Having had wls will probably help with that?

I think you are a very brave young woman and I wish you a long, healthy, carefree life!
    Not sure what you mean by One time events???

If the docs would have done an MRI at the first hospital or even the second we might have saved my hands.

At my pulmonary follow up he said he saw something in my spine, but was not going to do and MRI until MARCH. Why wait?!

Again - might have saved my hands. I hate that they have hospitalists. None of these docs know my history. Had that been my primary doc or my lupus doc I would have had an MRI the minute I said my fingertips were going numb. One of the hospitalists asked if I had arthritis - I said no and I really wanted to punch him in the face!

The stress of it all caused my dad to black out with my mom and dog in the car going back to the hotel two days before I had surgery. He ended up two floors above me. Had an angioplasty the same day as my surgery. Prayers and the good lord looking out for him as they were about to get on I-94 in Minneapolis. A very busy road. When he came to his foot was still on the brake and a parking spot next to them. Shocked he admitted himself. It was harder on me seeing him hooked up to machines and in a hospital gown then all of the sickness I went through. I have the best dad. I bawled when I saw him like that. He doesn’t lead the healthiest of lifestyles. It could have been much worse that weekend.

I was keeping daily track of my weight loss progress, but all was lost when I got locked out of my phone and it had to be reset. Lost so much beside that. Thank goodness for FB that a lot of photos are there. I am hoping the last 30 come off during PT and my gym workouts.

I have missed you all so much!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Quote Originally Posted by meggieprice View Post
    Wow- you are a true example of the triumph of the human spirit.
    I have been whining a lot about losing my sister and father in a few short months and now having gall bladder surgery but having read your story I will just shut up!
    You go girl!
    Oh hun - you have been through A LOT as well. Please accept my prayers and hugs from me. My condolences as well and I hope you are not in too much pain from your surgery.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

What I meant was: was that something that occurred just this once, or is this something you will have to be alert of all the time?

I am so sorry to hear about alle these stupid people in the hospitals.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of those around everywhere.
    They don't listen to their patients or maybe they just don't care enough...

And OMG, your father...
    You must have been so scared!
    How is he doing now?

I'll keep sending prayers and good vibes for you and your family.
    It is soooo good to see you here!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

21. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi7928 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by One time events???

If the docs would have done an MRI at the first hospital or even the second we might have saved my hands.

At my pulmonary follow up he said he saw something in my spine, but was not going to do and MRI until MARCH. Why wait?!

Again - might have saved my hands. I hate that they have hospitalists. None of these docs know my history. Had that been my primary doc or my lupus doc I would have had an MRI the minute I said my fingertips were going numb. One of the hospitalists asked if I had arthritis - I said no and I really wanted to punch him in the face!

The stress of it all caused my dad to black out with my mom and dog in the car going back to the hotel two days before I had surgery. He ended up two floors above me. Had an angioplasty the same day as my surgery. Prayers and the good lord looking out for him as they were about to get on I-94 in Minneapolis. A very busy road. When he came to his foot was still on the brake and a parking spot next to them. Shocked he admitted himself. It was harder on me seeing him hooked up to machines and in a hospital gown then all of the sickness I went through. I have the best dad. I bawled when I saw him like that. He doesn’t lead the healthiest of lifestyles. It could have been much worse that weekend.

I was keeping daily track of my weight loss progress, but all was lost when I got locked out of my phone and it had to be reset. Lost so much beside that. Thank goodness for FB that a lot of photos are there. I am hoping the last 30 come off during PT and my gym workouts.

I have missed you all so much!
    I SO HATE HOSPITALISTS! With mom sick last summer was the first time I realized your doctor no longer visits the hospital, it's a hospitalist, a doctor who has no idea who you are, doesn't know your medical history (well I guess they have something in writing on a computer), and basically has no relationship at all with the patient, hense no caring for you as a person. I swear they killed my mother. She basically lied in bed all day at the hospital. The only humans we saw were nurses who took her vitals. One day it was evening and we had not seen the hospitalist all day. Seriously?!? I finally burst into tears in front of a nurse and miraculously a hospitalist showed up right away. We did get good care when she was so sick she went into the ICU, but by then it was too late and she died shortly afterwards.

Long story, but I'm glad things are going better for you. Hope you can stay out of the hospital!!

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    What I meant was: was that something that occurred just this once, or is this something you will have to be alert of all the time?

I am so sorry to hear about alle these stupid people in the hospitals.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of those around everywhere.
    They don't listen to their patients or maybe they just don't care enough...

And OMG, your father...
    You must have been so scared!
    How is he doing now?

I'll keep sending prayers and good vibes for you and your family.
    It is soooo good to see you here!
    I cannot say for sure, but all my lung and digestive issues went away after I had my back surgery. Boy were my parents were relieved when I asked for food. Minneapolis has a lot of good restaurants that delivered with Door Dash. I didn’t eat a lot granted with my sleeve, but anything to them was better than nothing. I will always have the hardware in my back and that may or may not have to be replaced years from now. If the infection in my spine is not going down where it is supposed to go - it was going up and they think that’s why my hands are numb and in pain then I might have to have a shunt put into my brain. They aren’t getting worse so I think I won’t need it.

The hands are the biggest mystery - my original paralysis was at 15 at T1 which is upper chest. I was lucky to get my hands back, back then. This new injury is way below in my lower back. Should not effect my hands at all. That’s why they think it’s the infection in the spinal fluid. My neurosurgeon said it could take up to a year before they are better. The nerve drugs they have me on are not working, I’m hoping at my next neuro appointment to try something else.

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    09/27/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bradley Thaemert
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 72 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I SO HATE HOSPITALISTS! With mom sick last summer was the first time I realized your doctor no longer visits the hospital, it's a hospitalist, a doctor who has no idea who you are, doesn't know your medical history (well I guess they have something in writing on a computer), and basically has no relationship at all with the patient, hense no caring for you as a person. I swear they killed my mother. She basically lied in bed all day at the hospital. The only humans we saw were nurses who took her vitals. One day it was evening and we had not seen the hospitalist all day. Seriously?!? I finally burst into tears in front of a nurse and miraculously a hospitalist showed up right away. We did get good care when she was so sick she went into the ICU, but by then it was too late and she died shortly afterwards.

Long story, but I'm glad things are going better for you. Hope you can stay out of the hospital!!

Oh that is horrible. I had some great nurses that went to bat for me against the hospitalists. One against that idiot who asked if I had arthritis. Pretty sure he smelled like weed. My hemoglobin dropped to 6.2 and he would not give me a blood transfusion. She yelled at him and said she needs blood - now! Then the next day I’m not sure of all what happened but had to have a rapid response - same hospitalist would not come to my room. I had a lot of people in my room so another doc did it. I agree with your assessment - they don’t care. I’m sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs!

When I first was admitted I was like this screams lupus. Hospitalists kept coming in room (my now fired pulmonary doc) and said you are very, very sick on paper, but we don’t know what is wrong with you. I asked for some lupus labs, you know go treat it if it is active OR to rule it out!! He said no! Gah! I know my body. Lucky the next day I got a nice lady hospialist and she ordered the labs. My lupus doc actually came to visit me the third hospital stay. He was the reason why I got the MRI and just wanted to check on me. He cares.

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member meggieprice's Avatar
    Surgeon
    John Feng, MD
    Last Activity
    11-26-2021 01:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi7928 View Post
    Oh hun - you have been through A LOT as well. Please accept my prayers and hugs from me. My condolences as well and I hope you are not in too much pain from your surgery.
    Thank you- it has truly been my annus horribilis...
    Your discussion on hospitalists hits home- my surgeon for the gall bladder made this nasty remark to me about "choosing dependence on opioids" without ANY knowledge of me and who I am- of all the accidents and things that led me to a life of chronic pain and fibro- yet felt he could judge me. Ugh.

I am thinking of you today and sending you love and healing .

29. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know what's wrong with so many bad, moron, uncompassionate, people who pretend to be doctors! and it's all over the world!!
    I think they don't want to heal people but just picked that field for money or else, but not for the right reasons!! oh my!! so many sad stories!! I feel for you all!!

I have very bad stomach issues since November, and saw FOUR surgeons so far!!! one worth than the next one!!

actually the last one was nice,she looked smart and did get back to me, she really listened my concerns and her staff was reactive....yet still waiting for more tests ....and she thinks my case is serious and they are having a team meeting to work on my case...but I won't see her again before the 26...anyway...more waiting to come...she said that since my abdominal wall is falling apart, they have to wait longer to operate...so...not July....

I'm still sleeping or trying to on a big incline,waking up if I fall and can't breeze... reflux is still bad most days and joint pain is getting worth, two of my toes broke again last week....it's endless and so frustrating....yet...could be worth...I'm survived four months of crazy asthma, I know it could have killed me, I was lucky in a certain way, since my GP was cluesless, same for the pneumologist, I had to ask for the MRI when the Xray was showing nothing...they should have known better!!

Anyway....best wishes for a fast recovery Kristi and Meggie!!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93