Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton Le
    Last Activity
    10-15-2019 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times

Default Pre-op diet starts sunday

12 days to surgery. I am more and more nervous each day as it gets closer.
    I get to start my liver shrinking pre-op diet on Sunday. My 24 yr wedding anniversary is on Monday lol. I guess we'll celebrate it on Saturday with one last whatever I want to eat meal.

I went to see my ortho this week about my back pain ( degenerative disc disease and herniated discs). Before I got to see the Dr. I was talking to the nurse and I told her what I was about to do in a couple of weeks and I was really praying that losing weight will help with my back issues. This nurse who is just as overweight as I am, but probably late 20s early 30s said, "Oh honey don't do that to yourself. My best friend did that two months ago. Her hair is falling out, she can't go out and drink with me. She's no fun anymore. I want my friend back. Believe me I want to be skinny too, but that's just not the way to do it girlfriend."

I wanted to go into a rant about I'm not doing this to be skinny.. I'm doing it because I'm not getting any younger and this weight is hell on my joints and back and that I would very much like to get back to living instead of just surviving and what a selfish "friend" she is. I didn't. I just smiled.

One more reason why I've told only a select few.

Nervous, Scared as heck, and excited all at once.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre-op diet starts sunday

Wow... I just can't believe reactions like that, especially from someone who is medically trained...
    And so narrow minded...
    You really didn't need to hear that.

I'm sure you will do great!
    You may loose a bit of hair, but it will grow back.
    You will be fun to go out with.
    You will be healthy and you will have less pain.
    Isn't that wonderful?

Happy 24th anniversary!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

That's why most of us don't tell anybody. People are stupid. She was probably jealous that she is fat and you will no longer be fat. The hair loss is almost always minimal and grows back, and if a person can only enjoy themselves with alcohol they have a problem.

The surgery should help with your back pain, less weight on joints really helps. So happy you are taking this step, you won't regret it.

PS. I never got "skinny" but I did reach the healthy BMI range and did gain a lot of strength and energy. I always say I'm normal person sized. But I'm a 62 year old who can do anything! Off to climb mountains in CO next week. I'm still over-the-moon happy with my results and my surgery was 5 and a half years ago.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

MindySue, welcome!

I predict you're going to be exceedingly happy with your VSG results.

And yeah ... not my idea of a smart person, much less a nurse. Or maybe she's just ignorant because she's young and doesn't know what being fat can do to a body over decades.

Bless her heart.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Laurallynn's Avatar
    Name
    Laural
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Cuneen
    Last Activity
    04-20-2020 12:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I had my surgery in 2012 and before my surgery I was all nerves. I was still seeing a Psychologist and she told me that I had every right to simply tell the Dr. NO I was not doing the surgery. It was strange how hearing this and understanding that the power was within me to make this surgery happen or I can call it quits empowered me and I did the right decision to have the surgery.

I made the decision to tell only select people in my life. I knew that others would be toxic and not understand the reasons that I needed and wanted the surgery. It seems as though people who believe it only to be "skinny" are the most vocal. Choose your friends and family who support you and will have your back. It is a good decision to make for your overall health.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!

Just remember, you will have many, many more anniversaries to celebrate.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I'd toss my back out twice a year for a decade. It was so reoccurring that I just had all the pain meds and muscle relaxers pre prescribed and could do the physical therapy at home(I had the protocol memorized from the first three times I did it). My knees hurt so bad going up stairs I scheduled my day so I only had to do it twice(put kids to bed, put me to bed).

A year later I have no knee pain and no back pain. I can put my 40 pound daughter on my shoulders and stand for an hour. Go up and down the stairs all the time. The only body pain I get is from siting too long because I don't have the same butt padding I did so I can feel tailbone pressure now.

Right now your bones and body are coping with having another 120 pound person riding on you.

Losing weight is the most important thing you can do to fix your back. My surgeon for my sleeve actually goes on rants about how ticked he is at orthopedists, primary care docs, and endocrinologists for not just sending people to him to solve the base line issue.

The surgery is safer than not getting the surgery for anyone who qualifies for the average doc performing it. This wasn't always the case which is why it still has some medical stygma(complication rate was much higher 10-15 years ago). Enough people get it where it's a "known" thing but it is not yet ever present and accepted as a "normal treatment". I imagine in a decade or two it'll be generally accepted as the go to treatment for a variety of things. Never the less there's still a stigma. I tell people about mine because it's an easy way for me to tell what kind of person they are but totally understand the people who don't. I didn't tell people before I had it done but do now all the time.

The nurse is clearly grieving that her friend made a positive lifestyle choice and has left her behind. Reading these forums it's hard for most of us to recognize this sort of behavior because as rehabilitating fat people we are used to self justifying destructive behavior in ourselves. Acting like that nurse is something we all did, most of us for our entire lives. We got so used to it we don't notice it. You got your first taste of it by bringing it up with someone. When you start really dropping weight off you will see more of it from friends and family. Just realize that the people who are supportive and happy are the people who really care about you and the people who aren't are either selfish or wrapped up in their own issues.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Joseph Morris
    Last Activity
    07-01-2019 11:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

So good to hear all of you say you are happy with the results of your sleeve...Anything worth having is going to have some sacrifices that must be made...I have been overweight all my adult life and have been miserable the last 20 years, especially since I retired in 2008 and have put on 40 more pounds...Glad to have found this site and I probably will be asking a lot of questions...I have not had surgery yet, just asking about it and have my Bariatric seminar scheduled for June 20th...
    And like the others said, the nurse and others should just keep their mouth shut if they have nothing positive to say..SissyJ....

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Congratulations and good luck on your upcoming surgery. You will do great! The time leading up to the actual day of the surgery is a bit nerve wracking so I suggest you do whatever you normally do to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied. That will help to keep time moving instead of feeling like you're in a holding pattern.

You will probably go through a range of emotions, I know I did. But I was more excited and ready to 'get the show on the road' than scared. It's normal and I think feeling the same even after surgery for the first month is also normal. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. It takes time to manage and adjust to these changes, but once you do......it's the best thing ever.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MindySue76's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton Le
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times

My emotions are definitely all over the place. I've gotten so anxious about it I've thought about cancelling. I know though, if I did cancel it, I'd be kicking myself in the but a few months from now wishing I had done it. I'm a baby every time I've had to have surgery. This is just the first time I volunteered for surgery lol.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I think it's even normal to 'think' about canceling. It is a major commitment and lifestyle change. I just know I had gotten to place and point in my life that I couldn't continue living the way I was with all the extra weight, shame and guilty feelings. It's hard work, but my only regret is not doing it sooner. Each day after the surgery you will feel better and be stronger. You can do this!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Let me tell you, I was 296 lbs in April of 2015 when I had to have my first back surgery. HAD TO... it wasn't an option. My bladder was on the verge of rupture from that nerve being pinched. My surgeon told me "Michelle if you don't lose weight, you're going to be seeing me again within a year tops, for a fusion..." I went home and threw out all my junk food and poured out all my cases of mountain dews. Within 6 months, I had lost 60 lbs, on my own. I ended up having to have the fusion anyways. I had gone 34 years of being morbidly obese and my back suffered for it. Having back surgery for a bulging disc is easier than having a fusion done. You don't want to have either of those surgeries but if you can help it, you REALLY don't want to have a fusion. Get that surgery, girl. Don't let nobody tell you otherwise, unless of course they can take all your aches, pains and health problems from you. I don't think that is possible. If it is, I have met the wrong people. Lol. Good luck. You got this!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

You’ll find all the information, encouragement and support you need from all of us here. We’ve all been where you’re at...

This is one of the best decisions I ever made for myself. My only regret is that I waited (and suffered) for so long. All of the co-morbidity issues are gone and I am living a healthy life.

I was very careful about who I shared with...people can be ignorant and judgmental. I lost some hair, it grew back. Biotin barimelts and Nioxin 4 shampoo and leave-in helped hair growth.

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey! ;-)

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member meggieprice's Avatar
    Surgeon
    John Feng, MD
    Last Activity
    11-26-2021 01:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

I had back surgery 2 years before my sleeve and continued to have major major back issues. My doctor told me I was heading for a wheelchair and an early death and I had the sleeve to save my life.
    DO it! I cannot promise it will solve your back issues but it will ease them considerably as well as helping tons of other health issues.

You've got this!!!

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MindySue76's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/12/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hamilton Le
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times

Pre-admission testing completed today. Got my nausea patch and Emend prescription for nausea, bloodwork done (again), swabbed for MRSA, consult with anesthesiology. 7 days and counting. Doing okay with the pre-op diet so far, a little hungry. Begin liquids only on Sunday. Excited to get the opportunity to improve my life, scared as heck also.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MindySue76 View Post
    Pre-admission testing completed today. Got my nausea patch and Emend prescription for nausea, bloodwork done (again), swabbed for MRSA, consult with anesthesiology. 7 days and counting. Doing okay with the pre-op diet so far, a little hungry. Begin liquids only on Sunday. Excited to get the opportunity to improve my life, scared as heck also.
    You're right in the groove. Including the "scared as heck." Pretty much everybody was.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89