Thread: Question

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-29-2019 09:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Wink Question

Hi everyone . I'm Snoozie.. have not set up profile yet BUT.. Just signed in to this site... Going to have surgery soon... I'm struggling with not having any wine or alcohol for what like six months?? I like a " little " to destress! Snooze ... Any comments on this topic?

2. The following 12 users said welcome Snoozie to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: Question

I feel like you need to figure out what is more important to you. Your health? Or wine? Maybe find another way to "destress"?

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Definitely find another way to destress.
    Not only is alcohol empty calories, but you are also at risk for alcohol addiction, which is easy to get after wls.
    There is always going to be a "stressor" around, that's life...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Strongly agree with Michele and Dutchie! You MUST give up alcohol for awhile. It's recommended to stop 1 month pre-op and stay dry for 1 year post-op. I wasn't happy about it either. My husband and I love our margaritas and were regular fixtures at our local watering hole. It was a challenge but now I am just about 7 days out and can't even imagine having any alcohol (but I'm sure I'll be tempted soon enough).

Post-sleeve, your body does not metabolize alcohol the same way and it takes significantly less to become intoxicated. Plus, alcohol can lead to ulcers and damage your freshly healing tummy. Lastly, there is a huge risk of "transfer addiction" in which alcohol addiction replaces a prior addiction to and/or unhealthy relationship with food. The latter is not fully understood but unfortunately is quite common and can truly destroy your life!

The first 6 - 18 months post-sleeve is a honeymoon period where weight comes off rapidly and easily. During this time, it is vitally important to establish healthier eating habits, exercise habits, and healthier lifestyle habits in general. Otherwise, you risk regaining most or all of the weight you'll lose with the surgery. You have to have your priorities in order and be able to fully commit to making the necessary changes. If you're not ready to do that yet, you should not have the surgery until you ARE ready, otherwise you will not be successful.

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Do what they tell you, they know what they are talking about. Find another way to destress, like take a nice walk, or sit on the patio with your favorite non-alcholic drink and read a book or listen to the birds. (I love spring).

I have found out from experience that alcohol is super dangerous for us sleeved people. We no longer have a normal person's stomach. We can't tolerate the alcohol. Please don't start. It's a small price to pay for your health. (Or not to be dead).

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome to the best gs forum!

I made a commitment to myself to be the best example of a healthy individual in mind, body and spirit. Translation (for me) that means I had to make a decision about what my first priority was. I chose me!

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey ;-)

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, Snoozie. Welcome.

The following summarizes for your benefit my own experience with alcohol pre- and post-op.

I'm a one glass of wine a night girl. And by that, I mean 5 ounces, not 8 ounces or 12 ounces. Never had a problem with that amount of wine or drinking habitually more than that. Before WLS or since.

However, as I approached my VSG surgery five years ago, I eschewed all alcohol for 6.5 months. It was not a big deal to me.

Now, almost five years post-op, I drink one glass of wine a night. Five ounces, not 8 or 12 ounces, and my body and behavior are none the worse for it.

I think you really SHOULD consider how much you're willing to change your lifestyle because of your WLS -- and I'm not talking just about alcohol. We all have to change what we eat and drink because of the surgery in one or more ways. Some people are deeply devoted to Mountain Dew or Diet Coke -- and those are definitely no-nos after VSG because of their acidity and their carbonation. Some people (cough!) are deeply devoted to dark chocolate and learn that they just can't have that stuff in the house anymore. Or beer. Or sourdough bread. Or Triscuits. Or biscotti. Or tortilla chips. Or .........

There are some other non-alcoholic ways to destress that we ALL should learn about and master. For example, meditation is a great thing to do for destressing. Breathing deeply and rhythmically works, too. Exercise is a wonderful destresser. Listening to music ditto. Instructions and information about all these destressors are available online. The Google is your friend.

Short version: Give up alcohol for six months. You'll survive.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I guess it all depends how successful you want to be after your surgery.
    If you look at the big picture (the rest of your, hopefully long, life!) 6-12 months without alcohol is not a big thing.
    I don't drink alcohol any more and I don't miss it.....but that is me. I could have a glass of something if I wanted but it is just empty calories to me and I would rather fuel my body with good tasty healthy food.
    If you really think that it is going to be a problem then perhaps you should address it now. Going without alcohol is not the only life change that you are going to have to make. The sleeve is a great tool but you are going to have to put in some work and make some lifestyle changes for it to be successful long term.
    Life throws stresses at us all the time and we need to find ways to deal with it that don't involve food (for me!) or any alcohol etc.
    I have recently started yoga classes and I love it. You just need to find something that works for you.
    All the best.

17. Said thanks: