Dr. French
    Last Activity
    08-20-2019 01:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Soooooooo I got sleeved!

First off--I hate the liquid diet.

Ok got that out the way, got sleeved last Thursday, May 23rd. Stayed overnight, had a slightly raised BP but was under control as I left.

Started at 327, at 312 right now.

Had some small gas pains in the stomach through Sunday and been smooth ever since. Been drinking one Isopure protein shake a day and a chicken noodle soup minus all the solids and man I never remember it being this delicious. Then basically water/Crystal light and sugar free fudgsicles making my children unhappy haha.

Have my first follow-up this upcoming Friday.

Took it easy for the first few days, walking like I was supposed to, sips of water and all that.

Not trying to jinx myself but everything has been smooth. I am drinking about 60oz daily, not sure how? Friend of mine who did it says he is still having issues getting that amount of fluid down a day a year after his surgery.

This site was great, I made a decision and stuck with it....from initial consultation to getting sleeved was April 24th to May 23rd.

Looking forward to Friday to talk to the doc and then seeing the progress over time!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: Soooooooo I got sleeved!

I wasn't getting my 64 ounces in for a few weeks after surgery! You're doing awesome! Once you start bringing solids in, it will get a little harder to get your liquids in but you will do great!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Congrats!

I’m so happy for you that you’re having an easy go of it.

Keep on keeping on ;-)

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N O L A View Post
    First off--I hate the liquid diet.

Ok got that out the way, got sleeved last Thursday, May 23rd. Stayed overnight, had a slightly raised BP but was under control as I left.

Started at 327, at 312 right now.

Had some small gas pains in the stomach through Sunday and been smooth ever since. Been drinking one Isopure protein shake a day and a chicken noodle soup minus all the solids and man I never remember it being this delicious. Then basically water/Crystal light and sugar free fudgsicles making my children unhappy haha.

Have my first follow-up this upcoming Friday.

Took it easy for the first few days, walking like I was supposed to, sips of water and all that.

Not trying to jinx myself but everything has been smooth. I am drinking about 60oz daily, not sure how? Friend of mine who did it says he is still having issues getting that amount of fluid down a day a year after his surgery.

This site was great, I made a decision and stuck with it....from initial consultation to getting sleeved was April 24th to May 23rd.

Looking forward to Friday to talk to the doc and then seeing the progress over time!
    I was sleeved on the 23rd also - we're sleeve twinsies! I am also down 14 lbs. I've also had a fairly smooth post-op course. A little more tired and easily fatigued than I'd like, but overall coming along quite well. I also despise the liquid diet - especially pre-op. With the post-op addition of thinned creamed soups - and filling up so quickly - its not so bad post op. Can't wait for pureed foods at day 15! glad you are here and happy that you are doing so well!

Gastric Sleeve Member meggieprice's Avatar
    Surgeon
    John Feng, MD
    Last Activity
    11-26-2021 01:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Hope you are doing well?

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

All is well on my side except for a broken/malfunctioning scale. Purchased a new one over the weekend.

Seems I was not losing as much as I thought, but that's actually in the back of my mind a good thing--don't want to lose 3 lbs daily.

My weight this morning was 308.6. Down 18.4 lbs in 11 days.

Had my checkup with Doc this past Friday and he said all looks good and will see me in 3 months. I need to call his office today to get some more info, he never went over with me when I can get to exercising, can I have gum?, small sugar free mints or something?, and Benadryl-the little small capsules, or does it have to be liquid?

My water intake is great, I am easily over 64 oz's daily. Started drinking the Premier Protein shakes put inside the Bullet with ice--it's awesome.

Right now I am really looking forward to 6/22 when I can have scrambled eggs and some melba toast---I just want to "bite" into something soon.

Happy Monday!

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

I'm so glad I am not the only one who got released at the first checkup. Not many do. Did your doctor tell you to do pureed foods? Did your doctor tell you to wait til 6/22 for scrambled eggs? My doctor didn't. He just released me and told me to come back in 3 months. This site was a lifesaver for me because I didn't know what to do next. I did chew gum right away. It kind of hurt my stomach and I found out from my primary care physician why... chewing gum after I ate caused me to swallow saliva. You think that you aren't swallowing a lot but it's enough to cause your food to be dumped too quickly. I still chewed gum. I just waited til 30 minutes after eating and I also made sure it was sugar free. I'm not sure about benadryl. I wasn't told to stick to any kind of diet when I got released so I just tried things. I found that I couldn't handle eggs for quite some time. I did mashed potatoes, soup and I was addicted to this cheesy crab casserole for awhile. 18 lbs in 11 days is amazing progress! Let the milestones begin! Have fun with them!

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh the liquid diet is the WORST! We had a big italian family dinner last night with everyone feasting on pasta, meatballs, pizza. Ugh! I was dying! I ate some Campbells tomato soup and it was miserable. I totally played it off that I was fine because I really don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable around me. I can finally move to pureed on Friday and I can't wait!

NOLA- in terms of the benadryl, I think either would be fine, liquid would probably be better but I wouldn't run out and buy liquid if you already have pills. I have been taking all of my pill medicines all along without issue, including benadryl, tylenol, etc. I would check on the eggs - some people have trouble with them early on. Also the melba toast sounds a little rough with its very hard texture. I would think you'd need to chew, chew, chew and remember that you can't have any liquids 30 minutes before or after.

EllisM80 - PLEASE tell me MORE about the cheesy crab casserole! It sounds soooooo good! What could be better than crab and cheese! I already have my roast beef hash, refried beans and cheese, ingredients for the ricotta bake. Can't wait for tuna and chicken salad, maybe some egg salad, yum!

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    Oh the liquid diet is the WORST! We had a big italian family dinner last night with everyone feasting on pasta, meatballs, pizza. Ugh! I was dying! I ate some Campbells tomato soup and it was miserable. I totally played it off that I was fine because I really don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable around me. I can finally move to pureed on Friday and I can't wait!

NOLA- in terms of the benadryl, I think either would be fine, liquid would probably be better but I wouldn't run out and buy liquid if you already have pills. I have been taking all of my pill medicines all along without issue, including benadryl, tylenol, etc. I would check on the eggs - some people have trouble with them early on. Also the melba toast sounds a little rough with its very hard texture. I would think you'd need to chew, chew, chew and remember that you can't have any liquids 30 minutes before or after.

EllisM80 - PLEASE tell me MORE about the cheesy crab casserole! It sounds soooooo good! What could be better than crab and cheese! I already have my roast beef hash, refried beans and cheese, ingredients for the ricotta bake. Can't wait for tuna and chicken salad, maybe some egg salad, yum!
    Here's the link to where I posted it here. I lived off of that and egg drop soup (also at that link) for many weeks.

https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68151

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. French
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

My doctor has a "gameplan" of diet for the weeks following the surgery. Doing my best to stick to it but there are a series of progressions--so he didn't let me go and run with it and figure it out on my own. So that's why the 6/22 date is what it is, that's the week that starts I can have eggs + melba toast and some other things that I don't remember off the top of my head. In the meantime it's sugar free Jello puddings, yogurts, v8 juices, and some other things I don't like.

This week I am good to go with smoothies minus frozen fruits in it for some reason so next Monday I can move into smoothies as they come from the smoothie places.

Curious now that some others don't have the same restrictions I do, my gameplan says no roast/steak/ham/pork for 4-6 months. Any idea why? Chewed up food is chewed up food? Bu ti am

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EllisM80 View Post
    Here's the link to where I posted it here. I lived off of that and egg drop soup (also at that link) for many weeks.

https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68151
    Ohhhh MG I can't wait! 2 quick questions - what size casserole dish? Looks like you used a pie plate size- 13x9 is gonna be way to big, Did you bake covered or uncovered the whole time? I can't wait...I miss chewing so badly!

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

My doctor has a "gameplan" of diet for the weeks following the surgery. Doing my best to stick to it but there are a series of progressions--so he didn't let me go and run with it and figure it out on my own. So that's why the 6/22 date is what it is, that's the week that starts I can have eggs + melba toast and some other things that I don't remember off the top of my head. In the meantime it's sugar free Jello puddings, yogurts, v8 juices, and some other things I don't like.

This week I am good to go with smoothies minus frozen fruits in it for some reason so next Monday I can move into smoothies as they come from the smoothie places.

Curious now that some others don't have the same restrictions I do, my gameplan says no roast/steak/ham/pork for 4-6 months. Any idea why? Chewed up food is chewed up food? Bu ti am
    If it's part of your doc's gameplan then follow it 100%. No Roast/steak/pork for 4-6 MONTHS seems like a long time, but he must have his reasons. It seems every surgeon has his/her own plan for post op eating. Only constants seem to be protein first, no food/fluids together, chew, chew, chew and sip, sip, sip.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/30/2019
    Surgeon
    Amit Trivedi
    Last Activity
    01-30-2020 06:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 19 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts

My blood pressure after surgery was insane. Im usually 120/80 After surgery it was over 250 and they seemed really concerned. They were trying to toss it up that I always had high blood pressure. That was probably the only good health thing going for myself was decent blood pressure. Its back to norm but wow what a shock to see my blood pressure so high.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

I'm not sure... I've never heard of any protein being restricted. It's nice that your surgeon has a gameplan though. I felt like my surgeon threw me to the wolves. Never heard anyone say anything about fruit in the smoothies either. I do remember hearing lots of people having problems with apples. Not sure why. If you end up not following the surgeons plan to the T, just make sure you chew the heck out of your food.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    Ohhhh MG I can't wait! 2 quick questions - what size casserole dish? Looks like you used a pie plate size- 13x9 is gonna be way to big, Did you bake covered or uncovered the whole time? I can't wait...I miss chewing so badly!
    It was a 9 inch pie plate and I baked it uncovered. I was horrible post op. I chewed up food and spit it out just to feel like I was eating something.