05/17/2019
    Surgeon
    Daly/Nguyen (UCI)
    Last Activity
    07-06-2019 01:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Creating a food schedule -- ongoing experiences and maybe your good advice?

Hi All --

I'm 9 days out from surgery and 7 days out from hospital discharge. The last few days were busier than usual (company in town, my son's ballet showcases). I have been very up and about (we rented a wheelchair so I wouldn't miss out on the things that required more walking with our out of town guest guests). In general, I feel pretty good.

I'm learning my new GI system and trying to head off the feelings of "full" (uncomfortable). The constant drinking and figuring out "meals" are a challenge. Meals are still liquid for the most part (I'm allowed very thin cream of wheat) and trying to trade off between "meals" and drinking, but I hit the full often trying to balance these. I'm guessing this is normal. I miss food but also am doing fine as the one opting out. It's clear that my system is not going to let more in it than necessary. Everytime I feel the "full" feeling, it scares me. I haven't been timing my drinking or "meals" -- would doing this and measuring out goals help prevent my hitting "full?" Do any of you use schedules and plans to get all your nutrition and hydration without hitting the "full" point?

In terms of post-op, my abdomen is puckered a bit in the places where there are the incisions, but in general they all feel good. A little itchy! Inside, I'm feeling less gas bloating each day. I'm getting around well but I do tire quickly.

Thanks for all your support and advice!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Creating a food schedule -- ongoing experiences and maybe your good advice?

You won't really feel full while on liquids, no worries. They just pass right through your tummy. But wait to the point where you can have your first bit of chicken breast, OMG, you will feel it then. Promise!

As long as you are following what your surgeon told you for these early days, you'll be fine. Sounds like you're doing great!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Creating a food schedule -- ongoing experiences and maybe your good advice?

I’m so happy to hear you’re doing well.

I had a schedule from my Dr and Nutritionist that I followed. I also logged everything that crossed my lips.

Have fun while you continue your journey ;-)

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/17/2019
    Surgeon
    Daly/Nguyen (UCI)
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times

So it's not normal to feel "full" on liquids? I most certainly get a full tightening feeling when I drink a lot -- but maybe that was the hernia part of the surgery that I'm feeling in these healing stages? I find that I really have a space out anything that passes my lips... then I feel like I'm playing catch up and try to drink in one sitting. I guess it's all part of the learning!!

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

Josh,

I still can feel full on liquids...if I try to drink too much, too fast. In the beginning post-op stage 2 sips was my limit. That increased over time. Now my limit is 4 swallows, wait 10 minutes and have another 4 swallows, etc. Ice cubes work best for me because I’m getting a trickle effect. I use this when I go out to eat since I can’t/don’t drink before I eat.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I have the same thing as Cyndi, I can still feel "full" when I drink too fast or too much.
    It still takes an hour to 1,5 hour to finish my protein shake.

Take it easy and sip, sip, sip.
    Then wait a couple of minutes and start again.
    You will get the hang of it, it may take a little while.
    You are doing great!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Sip water at all times, you can't drink fast enough otherwise to get it and your food in. Stop water while you are eating and in the window before and after your doc says but otherwise have some with you at all other times. I make a crystal light in the morning when I get to work, sip it all day. Make another 4pm ish and sip it until shortly after dinner, then make another and go to bed when I finish it. That's how I get 90 oz a day.

Sip, don't gulp. You don't have enough room to gulp it down anymore. You've probably got between 4-8 oz of capacity total.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

I felt full on liquids only as well. I remember the first bit of soft food, what an experience. You will feel it too I bet. The trick for me was using baby spoons so I didn't take too large of a bite. Chew, chew, chew and wait in between. I know right away when I've eaten too fast and I do get the painful full signal right away. I keep a food journal, mainly because I want to know exactly what and how much I'm eating. It's been super helpful to me. I see when I am lacking in protein, water intake, etc.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/17/2019
    Surgeon
    Daly/Nguyen (UCI)
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times

Thank you! I should really go back to using the food journal. The more I recover from the pneumonia, the more ready I feel to really hit the sleeve eating and drinking with more intentionality!

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity

It’s good to hear that the pneumonia is getting better! ;-)