Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Craving Qest Protein Bars Like Crazy

I can't stop craving the chocolate chip cookie dough and the cookies and crème protein bars. I eat like 3 a day, and would eat more if I didn't force myself to stop. They are almost sliders for me. I feel no restriction or feeling of fullness at all. In fact, I still feel hungry. It's driving me nuts. Has anyone else experienced this? It feels like a sugar or carb addiction - could that be true?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Janeanne67's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jane
    Surgery date
    03/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Padovan
    Last Activity
    01-24-2021 09:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times

Default Re: Craving Qest Protein Bars Like Crazy

I have a stack of these bars in my pantry which I bought pre surgery, I haven't had any since my op was only a month ago. But before my op I was eating them and YES talk about addictive and the same flavours you mention plus a few more. I could have eaten them all day long, when I first started on them I noticed I felt a bit weird after the first one, can't put a finger on it but it was like I got a rush from it and also noticed they made me really thirsty from salt I could taste in them. But still loved them. I was trying to be good though and only had one at night, made it my treat like a desert, but yes I could have eaten them for every meal.

4. Said thanks:

OAM

Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Kim Celebration,Fl. 2/7
    Last Activity
    05-11-2016 10:36 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 275 Times in 247 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 435 Times

Stop.. Check the calories , fats and carbs.. I may eat one low carb one a day but never more. Are they being counted as your meals. What else are you eating . If you can not stop eating after one . Just do not buy them or bring into your house!
    01/2013 information group 225. ,ht 5' 5". BMI. 37.5 ,01/30 /2014. Start pre op diet 218 lbs 2/7 .. Surgery. ..214. ..2/14...204. 03/1..206 ??.. March 6 (4 week check up 202lb. March. 8.. First goal . 199.4. BMI. 33.1. April1. .192.5. May 7. 188.6
    Jun 1. 178. BMI. 29.2. .reached a Goal.. No longer obese!!!? 7-01. ..174 , 08/1,..1965.. 08/7......14 months. 149...a normal BMI ...

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Adnan Sabahey
    Last Activity
    09-24-2014 12:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

For me any protine bar make hungry I don't why

8. Said thanks:

OAM

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

You might try replacing them with another high-protein alternative. It sounds like you're fixated on these things and you need to break the habit. Cut yourself off for a while if you can. 3 per day? That would mess with my weight loss, (unless they are meals) and definitely my digestive system, (have you seen the fiber content in Quest bars)?

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Victor Gonzalez
    Last Activity
    03-09-2015 11:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

I feel the same way about the Quest bars- I eat the chocolate brownie ones like candy. They are addictive and salty as I alway want a gallon of water after I eat them. I was eating more than 3 a day as I was just using them as meal replacements but seems the more I ate them the more of them I wanted. So, they are now banned from my home. I figure if I can't eat them responsibly then I shouldn't have them period. I've also noticed that since January when I started eating so many of them that my weight loss has been signficantly less despite my excercise routine etc remaining the same. Beware the quest bars!

13. Said thanks:

OAM

Gastric Sleeve Member JustWantToBeHealthyAgain's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Surgery date
    12/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. DiBenedetto
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 143 Times in 133 Posts

I think some people have "triggers" for them, certain tastes and whatnot. I was told recently by a bypasser to avoid artificial sweeteners, as they will make me crave surgar and make me feel more hungry/gain weight. I told her that while SOME people may experience that, I have not had any cravings post surgery and consume Splenda in moderation (my yogurt contains it, I sometimes put it in coffee, I drink Crystal Lite, etc) so as long as it's not a trigger for ME, then I'll be fine.

Perhaps it's the cookie dough/cookies n creme flavours that are making your cravings go into overdrive and making you crazy. Just an idea. You may want to avoid them for a while and find other protein sources and see how you feel.

We are all different in our "triggers". Some people have them, some people don't. I know my little sister really gets into "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW" mode when she eats potato chips, while I am not a chip person. It's all about finding YOUR triggers and dealing with them as you see fit, and if you can't moderate certain foods, then it's best to avoid them for now.

Just my thoughts.

15. Said thanks:

Last Activity
    04-04-2018 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 121 Times in 113 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 30 Times

In my opinion, if there is anything that you are fixated on eating and can not control your cravings, that food is a danger food for you. If it were me, I would either not allow them in my house, or I would buy one at a time. I do like Quest bars, and have a box of Cookies and Creme and Chocolate Chip cookies bars, but only eat one or two a week and use them as meal replacers when I am going to be out and about.

Pre-op Diet Start Weight: 291
    Day of Surgery: 272 - 19 lbs on pre-op diet
    Month 1: 255 -17
    Month 2: 240 -15
    Month 3: 227 -13
    Month 4: 214 -13
    Month 5: 204 -10
    Month 6: 191 -13 100 POUNDS LOST!
    Month 7: 181 -10
    Month 8: 173 -8
    Month 9: 165 -8
    Month 10: 158 -7
    Month 11: 155 -3
    Month 12: 150 -5
    One year loss: -141

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

I love Quest bars, but have 1 a day - They def do make me full & I feel the restriction (love this!) but no matter what form of protein, I am always hungry two hours later - whether that is a quest bar, a pc of chicken breast, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese - whatever. I sure miss that "I'm not hungry" feeling of month 1!

19. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree that the Quest Bars I've tried are delicious, but nutrition counselling has made me stop. Not counting the claim that's out there that Quest lies about the actual fiber content in their bars, high fiber bars and cereals have fibers in it that does not have the positive affect on your heart more natural fibers do. I also stay away from sugar substitutes as much as possible (although it's inescapable w/ protein shakes, and I love my sugar free jello/puddings). This is because the effect that the artificial sweeteners still have an effect on the brain and sweet promotes craving more sweets. I haven't had a quest bar since surgery, but I think if I have similar slider feeling with them, I'll give the rest away.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marsden
    Last Activity
    09-07-2016 05:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you all so much for replying. Yes, I do count the bars as a meal replacement but even with that my common sense and my cravings aren't matching up. I am post menopausal and a slow looser, so I really do need to get the cravings in check. I am almost 9 months out so need to do it in a hurry! I used to feel restriction and didn't have cravings for anything, so need to keep my head in the game.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm confused newclear - you are against artificial sweeteners but you point out that you enjoy sugarfree jello pudding which also has artificial sweeteners. It is hard to find anything that doesn't have lots of sugar or artificial sweeteners - Yes, you can find a negative review of Quest bars but a majority of the reviews are very good and for those of us that could not simply take one more protein shake - quest bars are a wonderful option with other forms of protein to meet our requirements. Everything in moderation is the key I believe. (some non sleevers believe we take in way too much protein & yet that is our lifeline) - It's tough to keep up with finding enough natural foods to maintain our protein requirements. I also hear so many people talking about carbs. My dietitian said that your body needs close to 90 grams of carbs for your brain etc. - I don't get that but I don't have much trouble getting 80% of that.

24. Said thanks:

Name
    "Lea" (nickname)
    Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Treen
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,434 Times

questbarimage7.jpg

I LOVE Quest bars. The above is my favorite and the sweetener is Lo Han Guo. Lo Han Guo is Monk Fruit. I use Monk Fruit in my coffee etc. Look it up. I have never had a problem with Quest bars. I do eat at least two a day or less. They are great to have at work as I work night shift and that is an easy protein to eat quick. Look at my ticker. I have reached goal and I eat Quest bars. LOL.
    IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS NOW SINCE MY SURGERY. AND IM STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!

26. Said thanks:

OAM

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Joya
    Last Activity
    05-16-2016 01:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 79 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I'm not seeing the problem here. I eat quest bars, they taste good, help with protein requirements and they have fibre. Personally, my whole life from the time I was in grade 4 I have been consumed with thoughts of whether something is proper to eat, being on a diet, falling off the diet and feel this surgery has truly set me free from all of that. Restriction creates obsession for me. I refuse to worry about what I am eating. I have dreamed of being naturally thin like some of my friends. They eat what they want all their lives just stop when content, so smaller portions. They eat treats and fats and carbs etc. and never been fat. I am striving to have no issues with food and I'm getting there. If I craved 6 quest bars at hhis point in my life I would eat 6 quest bars. Try not to carry your old thoughts and guilts with food or eating into your new life. I have hungry days and like today I almost ate nothing I am listening to my body like a naturally thin person, diet and restriction is no longer part of my life and the pressure to lose weight at a certain pace is gone too, it will come off eventually.

Surgery - Lap band removal to sleeve

My Starting Weight - 227lb
    On Date of Surgery - 215lb
    One week post op - 214lb
    Two week post op - 209lb
    Three week post op - 212lb
    One month post op - 210lb
    Two month post op - 204lb
    Three mons post op - 199lb
    Four months post op -
    Five months post op -
    Six months post op -

28. Said thanks:

OAM

Surgery date
    11/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kennedy
    Last Activity
    05-10-2015 07:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

I just remembered this post from a few weeks ago and thought today I'd respond. I love the white chocolate raspberry quest bars. In the beginning I was good about eating 1/2 of one on the way to the gym and then it became a full one when my stomach could handle it. But then I found myself eating them on the weekends when I didn't feel like preparing a meal or wasn't hungry but knew I needed protein and calories. Now they feel like a treat to me. It's not that it's bad to have a treat, but I feel I shouldn't be having a treat every day or twice a day on weekends. I feel like that can be a slippery slope for me, so I think I'm going to take a break from them for awhile. I don't have any desire for any other sweets, which was my weakness in the past.

So, personally, I feel like it's all about the individual and their personal food experience, history and psychology.

Weigh-Ins:
    Before Pre-Op Diet 11/14/13: 224
    Day of Surgery 11/21/13: 215
    1 Week Post Surgery 11/28/13: 209
    1 Month Out 12/21/13: 200
    3 Months Out 2/21/14: 179
    6 Months Out 5/21/14: 156
    1 Year Out 11/21/14:

30. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast