Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Finally got some answers...

I can't count how many times I have been to the doctor or emergency room already knowing what was wrong with me or what WASN'T wrong with me, having yo leave without answers or with answers that I knew wasn't right. My last ER visit was no exception! Turns out that they were wrong! It wasn't anxiety! Turns out that the why I can't catch my breath is because I am pretty close to being severely anemic. He has to put me on oral iron supplements first (per Medicaid's orders because they don't want to pay for it) but is pretty confident that I will have to have IV iron infusions. I don't understand how the ER didn't catch that in my blood work but whatever... as long as it's taken care of, that's all I care about. It is nice to have answers finally. It's also nice to know that it isn't anxiety! I suffered for anxiety for a long time and spent lots of time & money on counseling. I learned coping skills and breathing exercises to deal with anxiety. I understand that what I've been through could trump all of those things that I've learned but I've truly given my situation to God and haven't worried about it since. I've been positive about the entire situation and felt like the doctors didn't know what else to blame it on so they chose anxiety. So anyways, I'm glad that it wasn't any issues more serious than that! The iron supplements are hurting my stomach but I'm trying to just deal with it. I have been through IV iron infusions before and I'd prefer not to add anymore appointments to my already really busy schedule.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Finally got some answers...

I am happy for you that they finally found something, and that it is relatively easy to cure!
    Not good, that they didn't find that earlier, it does not seem like rocket science to me...
    But, do you think this also may have triggered your feeling about the relapse?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'm so thrilled you finally found answers, but a little disgusted that it took so long. After being in the ER and hospital with my mom so many times I have lost quite a bit of confidence in our medical system. All being in the hospital meant was lying in a bed getting your vitals checked by nurses. We were LUCKY if we saw a doctor (not called hospitalist, they don't know you from Adam) once a day. I really think they killed her. Sorry, rant over. Happy you are on you way to health!!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Hi Michelle,
    So glad you got some answers, that's always the worst not knowing! Sorry you have to add another item to the pill list, but if it helps straighten things out it will be worth it.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things emotionally and I couldn't be happier or prouder of you. Keep on keeping on, you've got this!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    I am happy for you that they finally found something, and that it is relatively easy to cure!
    Not good, that they didn't find that earlier, it does not seem like rocket science to me...
    But, do you think this also may have triggered your feeling about the relapse?
    No, the relapse is still coming. It's just coming on slowly. My right foot to my knee is numb and weak. Drives me insane but I don't do IV steroids until it gets worse than that. I'm actually glad it is going slowly right now because I want to get through all the awards ceremonies before I'm confined to an IV pump for 3-5 days.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I'm so thrilled you finally found answers, but a little disgusted that it took so long. After being in the ER and hospital with my mom so many times I have lost quite a bit of confidence in our medical system. All being in the hospital meant was lying in a bed getting your vitals checked by nurses. We were LUCKY if we saw a doctor (not called hospitalist, they don't know you from Adam) once a day. I really think they killed her. Sorry, rat over. Happy you are on you way to health!!
    I have definitely lost my faith in the medical system, that's for sure. I've been through so much medically that I usually know what is wrong with me before I even see a doctor. My primary care doctor always knows that I've already tried a, b, c & d before coming to him, with myself and my kids... this way I'm not wasting my time, his time or the kids missing a day of school for no reason. If I was healthy, I'd be a doctor! Lol. And I personally feel that nurses should get paid more than doctors do. They do more work and spend more time with the patient. That's just my opinion. I have taken my own IV out and left a hospital before. I have been to so many hospitals where they don't want to listen, they just want to write a script (or not) and send you on your way. In April 2015, I went to the ER after not peeing for 2 days. The nurse I had pretty much called me a liar without saying the word. "I have a hard time believing that you have been drinking as much as YOU SAY YOU HAVE and haven't used the bathroom in TWO days so I'm going to have to scan your bladder." Ok big boy, let's do that!!! I said "How much does a bladder hold?" He says "If it is full, between 300 - 500 ml." He scanned my bladder and I had 984ml. He says that out loud and bolts out of the room. Meanwhile, I'm just laying there waiting for my MRI results and trying to figure out where the nurse went. He comes back with a catheter, morphine for my IV and a neurosurgeon. They said my bladder was on the verge of rupture. They were about to rush me to surgery but I had eaten and drank water that day. They admitted me for back surgery at 6am. My nerves were pinched completely at L4-L5 and it was closing off the nerves to bladder. So I'm filling it up with lots of water but maybe let go of 16 ounces in a 48 hour period. They ASSUME that EVERYONE is lying for narcotics until they can prove that they aren't. They treat you like crap until then. I demanded an apology from that nurse. I told them that I get my own meds and I didn't need their meds. Just find out what's wrong with me. That didn't stop him from being a jerk to me. It also didn't stop me from speaking my mind and giving him hell. It's really sad but you have to go to the doctor (ER or office) with a chip on your shoulder and "you will not tell me no!" attitude. At least I have had to and it works.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    Hi Michelle,
    So glad you got some answers, that's always the worst not knowing! Sorry you have to add another item to the pill list, but if it helps straighten things out it will be worth it.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things emotionally and I couldn't be happier or prouder of you. Keep on keeping on, you've got this!
    Thank you! Yes, I most certainly will! I'd much rather take these extra pills rather than IV so hopefully it'll do me some good.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I guess we are supposed to trust the "experts" but in reality we know our own bodies best of all.

When my parents were alive we had to sometimes fight to get them admitted to hospital and treated. It's terrible that anyone should be in that position.

Michelle I'm glad that you have an answer and that you are now being treated - but it is scandalous that it was not picked up before - did anyone actually look at your blood test results?!

Hope that you are feeling better soon x

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Terrible this...
    But in fact, I think it is the same everywhere, they just will not listen to you.
    One has to be very able to withstand that behavior... and you hardly ever are, because you are in pain or discomfort and all you want is help.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

20. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Glad I'm not the only one. They really do assume you are just faking it for the drugs. I wasn't even given anything after breaking my neck, at discharge from the hospital they told me to take Tylenol. Seriously?!? Went straight to my PCP who gave me something for the severe pain. I'm typically not a pain med person, only used it for one day after the sleeve.

With my mom the only way we saw a "hospitalist" was when I burst in to tears one evening. Hadn't seen anyone all day. Try crying, it works.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EllisM80 View Post
    I can't count how many times I have been to the doctor or emergency room already knowing what was wrong with me or what WASN'T wrong with me, having yo leave without answers or with answers that I knew wasn't right. My last ER visit was no exception! Turns out that they were wrong! It wasn't anxiety! Turns out that the why I can't catch my breath is because I am pretty close to being severely anemic. He has to put me on oral iron supplements first (per Medicaid's orders because they don't want to pay for it) but is pretty confident that I will have to have IV iron infusions. I don't understand how the ER didn't catch that in my blood work but whatever... as long as it's taken care of, that's all I care about. It is nice to have answers finally. It's also nice to know that it isn't anxiety! I suffered for anxiety for a long time and spent lots of time & money on counseling. I learned coping skills and breathing exercises to deal with anxiety. I understand that what I've been through could trump all of those things that I've learned but I've truly given my situation to God and haven't worried about it since. I've been positive about the entire situation and felt like the doctors didn't know what else to blame it on so they chose anxiety. So anyways, I'm glad that it wasn't any issues more serious than that! The iron supplements are hurting my stomach but I'm trying to just deal with it. I have been through IV iron infusions before and I'd prefer not to add anymore appointments to my already really busy schedule.
    At least you know what's wrong and it didn't take 6 weeks...like for me, the time we knew it was already too late and I did catch all bugs around...

So many doctors are just plain morons, I really wonder why they wanted to be doctors in the first place, unless it's only for making money and be able to enjoy the "God complex" in good faith!!

Do they say why you are anemic? That's very important to find out....my iron issues went on for years and no doctors had a real solution before this year went it became so bad...but usually it's either too much blood loss during your period, could be blood loss from the stomach, or some genetic issue...

You know, almost the same thing happened to me last Summer, when I started to get really sick, took them so many weeks to figure out what was wrong, I had cardiac symptoms, couldn't breeze, and the EKG did show arrhythmia, at night when I was "sleeping" (in pain and not breezing well...resting not sleeping) and the cardiologist told me to "walk and drink water". No kidding!!! I had to restrain myself not to kick his butt, I actually left the clinic without paying, saying that they should send me a bill if they could prove that I received accurate medical advice, since the doctor was a shmock!!. Bill never arrived!!

Anyway, I've seen many bad doctors those past months, good doctors have been a minority....shame!!! My PCP is nice but clueless I have to figure out myself what is wrong!! and check his scipts because he did prescribe me several times things I shouldn't take, when I have a doubt I always run it by my friend the pharmacist or my cousin.......anyway...it's hopeless...since my great PCP retired 4 years ago, the others around are only good to treat colds and give vaccine shots....argh!!

That's also why I decided to go back to my studies and switch gears for naturopathy!! since nobody could figure out anything, I'd better find solutions myself...or at least try....not completely cured without my stomach surgery...but trying everything I can to improve all other issues coming from the meds side effects...

Anyway...regarding the iron issue : for the best absorption it's better to take your iron pills in between meals, with vitamin C, and take it into separate intake because too much at the same time is not absorbed. Also do not drink tea during your meals or with the iron pills.

Since iron can get you a little constipated (and yes it does hurt your stomach, but try several kind, I found a really good vegan one) to help with GI issues, you can try several things to calm down the guts : aloe vera (I took one capsule at night when taking more than 100mg iron per day), coconut water, prunes etc... They do help to keep you regular and calm down the tummy.

If you can find it around you, blood sausage is the food the most potent in iron and when my blood level was really bad I would eat it twice a week, it would help more than just the tablets. I'm not crazy about the taste but would find a way to eat something to hide the taste with it.

I hope you will feel better very soon!
    Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

So glad they figured it out Michelle! My sister was sleeved 5 years before me and she has had anemia issues. She has to get iron infusions. I think part of hers is genetic though as my mother was anemic.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    I guess we are supposed to trust the "experts" but in reality we know our own bodies best of all.

When my parents were alive we had to sometimes fight to get them admitted to hospital and treated. It's terrible that anyone should be in that position.

Michelle I'm glad that you have an answer and that you are now being treated - but it is scandalous that it was not picked up before - did anyone actually look at your blood test results?!

Hope that you are feeling better soon x
    I don't feel that they had or they would have known I was anemic. Anemia severe enough for IV infusions don't just happen in a week. Or they must not have checked my iron, which would have been stupid. But I guess, if the shoe fits.

26. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one. They really do assume you are just faking it for the drugs. I wasn't even given anything after breaking my neck, at discharge from the hospital they told me to take Tylenol. Seriously?!? Went straight to my PCP who gave me something for the severe pain. I'm typically not a pain med person, only used it for one day after the sleeve.

With my mom the only way we saw a "hospitalist" was when I burst in to tears one evening. Hadn't seen anyone all day. Try crying, it works.
    Yes, it does. At the point of my tires, it's usually because I'm pissed and my blood is boiling! Lol

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    At least you know what's wrong and it didn't take 6 weeks...like for me, the time we knew it was already too late and I did catch all bugs around...

So many doctors are just plain morons, I really wonder why they wanted to be doctors in the first place, unless it's only for making money and be able to enjoy the "God complex" in good faith!!

Do they say why you are anemic? That's very important to find out....my iron issues went on for years and no doctors had a real solution before this year went it became so bad...but usually it's either too much blood loss during your period, could be blood loss from the stomach, or some genetic issue...

You know, almost the same thing happened to me last Summer, when I started to get really sick, took them so many weeks to figure out what was wrong, I had cardiac symptoms, couldn't breeze, and the EKG did show arrhythmia, at night when I was "sleeping" (in pain and not breezing well...resting not sleeping) and the cardiologist told me to "walk and drink water". No kidding!!! I had to restrain myself not to kick his butt, I actually left the clinic without paying, saying that they should send me a bill if they could prove that I received accurate medical advice, since the doctor was a shmock!!. Bill never arrived!!

Anyway, I've seen many bad doctors those past months, good doctors have been a minority....shame!!! My PCP is nice but clueless I have to figure out myself what is wrong!! and check his scipts because he did prescribe me several times things I shouldn't take, when I have a doubt I always run it by my friend the pharmacist or my cousin.......anyway...it's hopeless...since my great PCP retired 4 years ago, the others around are only good to treat colds and give vaccine shots....argh!!

That's also why I decided to go back to my studies and switch gears for naturopathy!! since nobody could figure out anything, I'd better find solutions myself...or at least try....not completely cured without my stomach surgery...but trying everything I can to improve all other issues coming from the meds side effects...

Anyway...regarding the iron issue : for the best absorption it's better to take your iron pills in between meals, with vitamin C, and take it into separate intake because too much at the same time is not absorbed. Also do not drink tea during your meals or with the iron pills.

Since iron can get you a little constipated (and yes it does hurt your stomach, but try several kind, I found a really good vegan one) to help with GI issues, you can try several things to calm down the guts : aloe vera (I took one capsule at night when taking more than 100mg iron per day), coconut water, prunes etc... They do help to keep you regular and calm down the tummy.

If you can find it around you, blood sausage is the food the most potent in iron and when my blood level was really bad I would eat it twice a week, it would help more than just the tablets. I'm not crazy about the taste but would find a way to eat something to hide the taste with it.

I hope you will feel better very soon!
    Take care!
    My pcp said it's because of the surgery and I'm not bringing in hardly any iron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast