Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Pre-Op FAIL

I’m 6 days away from surgery and I am failing miserably at the pre-op diet. During the day, I can stick to the shakes but at night, I become ravenous, (h)angry and lose all self-control. Not eating sugar or fried foods but CARBS. Not to make excuses, but I am just so stressed out. As I've mentioned, I was abruptly laid off from work on May 3 - about 2 days after I finalized a loan and surgery date. Now I am scrambling with securing health insurance for the family, applying for unemployment, working with creditors to delay or skip payments, overdue mortgage, etc, etc.

In addition, I am desperately trying to find a job, dealing with recruiters and potential employers. Plus, my 6 year old graduates kindergarten next week and will then be “off” for the summer as we can’t afford camp. Had to cancel our Disney trip, pull her out of Tai-Kwan-do (which she LOVES) and didn’t even tell her yet that I will be in the hospital for 2-3 days next week (and miss her cute little graduation ceremony).

In the meantime, no sugar, no alcohol, no coffee/caffeine and no NSAIDS (which is the only thing that relieves my achy joints and lets me sleep). Now no solid food - just protein shakes, as I cook dinner every night for my super-skinny, pasta and carb-loving kid. I mean — something’s gotta give! And it’s my food addiction and constant voracious appetite that keeps tripping me up.

PLUS I woke up SICK this morning, with a sore throat, stuffy nose, massive headache, body aches - I just wanna EAT some yummy carb-heavy comfort food so bad. Instead, I’m popping Zicam and mixing up yucky SlimFast shakes (which was the cheapest pre-op shake on my surgeon’s list of options).

Sorry for the long, whiny post. It's just that I really don’t want to mess this up. What if I go in on Thursday and I didn’t lose any weight or worse, I gained? or my liver is too fat and blocking the stomach? I’ve got to lose SOME weight because my wedding rings are completely imbedded into my fat little finger and I don't want to have them cut off for surgery. I feel like such a failure. Ugh…rant over!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Default Re: Pre-Op FAIL

Hi Jess,

A burden shared is a burden cut in half...Please remember to BREATHE and take one step at a time. You are not a failure. You’re experiencing some setbacks.

There are many things I have absolutely no control over. I DO have choices.

I began using MFP before surgery. It helped me practice part of the commitment I made to myself for a new way of life.

I had to get creative...I learned that drinking hot, low sodium vegetable broth at night gave me a feeling of comfort. I learned that hangry feeling was more in my mind than it was real hunger.

Moment by moment I practiced positivity EVEN when I wasn’t feeling positive.

You have a wonderful new beginning awaiting your arrival.

I send All Good Thoughts and Prayers ;-)

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Whine away! We're here to listen and offer support/sympathy. I didn't have to do a pre-OP diet, and I don't know that I would have been able to handle it if I had to.

I was watching my 600 lb life last night and mentioned to my husband how hard it must be for them to stick to a 1200 calorie diet to lose a bunch of weight before surgery. I have the benefit of a teeny tiny stomach, and it is still hard.

You're trying. All you can do is try your best. I'm sure you'll be fine. If those 600lb people can have surgery, I don't see how you won't be able to. Life is stressful. Just do your best, and know that the pre-op is probably the hardest part. All the best to you.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

You need to do some deep breezing and relax. Drink lots of herbal teas, your cold will be gone in 3 days top..if you have a nety pot it's time to use it to clear your nose.

Brush your teeth after your last shake, do not go in the kitchen after dinner and dispose of all left overs so you won't get tempted.
    Eating now is not worth it!!

Watch a few episodes of the 600 pounds show to get yourself in the right mood....or whatever will make you realize that surgery is going to give you back your health. You can of course stop eating for a few days.

Picture yourself in a better health, and at your kid's high school graduation in 12 years. That one he will remember!! And you need to get better to be at that one!!

Hang in there!! stick to your shakes, it's only for a few days!! you might suffer from "carb withdraw" it also get better after three days!

Breeze in, breeze out! repeat!!

Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

I am feeling much calmer now. Getting it out there helps too.Thanks for the replies! Reading through older posts helps me a lot also. Seems many of us feel weak and overwhelmed quite often, especially throughout the early stages of this life-changing process.

It just dawned on me - stopping my birth control pills three weeks ago is probably messing with my head. I've been taking them for years to help with severe PMS (among other things). I'm sure my hormone levels are going a little crazy right now too.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

The pre-op diet does suck. Sorry, but you just have to do it. I didn't have to lose weight, they just wanted to shrink my liver for a safer surgery.

I was told if I was hungry to have another shake. I did that. I also froze the chocolate premier protein ones and pretend they were a Wendy's frosty.

You've got this!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    I am feeling much calmer now. Getting it out there helps too.Thanks for the replies! Reading through older posts helps me a lot also. Seems many of us feel weak and overwhelmed quite often, especially throughout the early stages of this life-changing process.

It just dawned on me - stopping my birth control pills three weeks ago is probably messing with my head. I've been taking them for years to help with severe PMS (among other things). I'm sure my hormone levels are going a little crazy right now too.
    Oh Jess, it's okay. You're just getting hit with all the fun stuff carb withdraw, PMS, pre op anxiety and to top it all off, worrying about the little munchkins. You've got a lot going on and I get it. But once this is all said and done, you'll be so happy and feel so much better. When you plan another trip to Disney, you probably will have lost tons of weight and it will be way easier and enjoyable it bet.

Hang in girl, you've got this.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Pre ops suck and I had an easy one. I was to have 2 shakes, a healthy meal of lean protein & veggies, and as many sugar free jello and popsicles as I wanted for 6 days and then I had 3 days of full liquids only. I will admit I did not eat a heathy meal. I had a smaller meal of what I was going to miss. I did adhere to the 3 days of liquids only. My surgeon was really adamant about that part. Those 3 days were horrible. You can do it. Hang in there.

17. Said thanks: