Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Default It's Post -Op Day #3 - Yay!

Hooray!! I have finally crossed over to the sleeved side!! The surgery and 2 days in the hospital went very well. Its day#3 and I still feel a little beat up. I still have some edema in my legs and feet from the IV fluids. Also my right hand IV infiltrated during the night on Friday and my right hand blew up like a balloon! Took 5 (yes FIVE) attempts by 3 nurses to get another IV in so I am bruised all over my arms from the sticks and the heparin. Pain is minimal, unless I do something that engages my abs like stand up from sitting position. I do get odd little pinches and pokes all over my belly. Hard to tell if its gas or pain so I’ve been taking the pain medicine 1-2x day plus the mylicon chews.

One thing that I found odd is that I get waves of hunger. I was craving a hot dog this morning and pizza last night. I’m sure its more mental than physical hunger, but wasn’t expecting it. I’ve been focusing on sipping constantly, alternating protein shakes and water. I’ve had a horrible metallic in my mouth but seems to be slowly improving. Nothing tastes right, but I know its all so new. I’m just pushing forward, one sip at a time.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: It's Post -Op Day #3 - Yay!

You are the only one, besides myself, who has said something about the little pinches/poking feeling! I researched what it could be and even searched key words on here and never found anything. I didn't know how to explain it so I never did ask anyone. I don't know what it is. I'm 7.5 months post-op and I still feel that sometimes but not as much as before. I'm so glad you've finally joined us losers. Congratulations! Now, let the milestones begin!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EllisM80 View Post
    You are the only one, besides myself, who has said something about the little pinches/poking feeling! I researched what it could be and even searched key words on here and never found anything. I didn't know how to explain it so I never did ask anyone. I don't know what it is. I'm 7.5 months post-op and I still feel that sometimes but not as much as before. I'm so glad you've finally joined us losers. Congratulations! Now, let the milestones begin!
    Yes, the poking and pinching sensations are weird! Didn't realize it was uncommon. Probably related to disturbed nerve endings from the cutting and hyperinflation of surgery. Not painful, just annoying. So happy to finally be a LOSER too!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear that you are recovering well.
    The hunger pains may be indigestion - did you get something prescribed for this - if so please take it :-)
    The pokes/pinches could just be nerves. Your stomach area got disturbed during the surgery so it could just be that it is healing.
    The metallic taste might be helped by mouthwash or brushing your teeth more often than normal. Might make you feel better if nothing else.
    Keep on sipping that water and walk as much and often as you can.

You are doing great!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    Yes, the poking and pinching sensations are weird! Didn't realize it was uncommon. Probably related to disturbed nerve endings from the cutting and hyperinflation of surgery. Not painful, just annoying. So happy to finally be a LOSER too!
    It's probably not uncommon. I just never heard anyone talk about it and I didn't know how to bring it up to anyone or know how to explain it. You explained it perfectly. lol

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/17/2019
    Surgeon
    Daly/Nguyen (UCI)
    Last Activity
    07-06-2019 01:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

On day 9 post-op... I've got the prickly feelings, too -- I'm guessing nerve endings at work? I also have cravings, but even with those cravings, I really don't want to put anything in my mouth, so they are sort of a moot point!

13. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Sharon first week advice which everyone has hear a million times.

1. Sleep all you can. I mean lots of naps! Your body is healing and sleep is the best remedy. I slept in my recliner that first week as my bed is so high. If you have kids or responsibilities, pass them off to someone else. These first few weeks are all about YOU. Hopefully someone else can cook for your family. I just had my hubby at home and he was on his own.

2. Walk a little when you are awake. Don't get carried away and try three miles or anything, just walk around your house at first. I know I got a little dizzy early on and didn't want to be far from home.

3. Sip every waking moment to meet your liquid and protein goals. Don't say you can't do it, you have to. I just kept my water bottle on a little table by my recliner.

4. While you are "chilling," start a journal. Log your measurements every month or two. Log your weight, but no more than once a week. Log your ounces of liquid and grams of protein. Remember if you drink a 20 ounce bottle of Isopure it counts toward both goals. I even counted my AM coffee as liquid. (My doctor had no problem with one cup of coffee). Thank God!!

5. Get excited! Your life is about to improve 100%. It is SO MUCH FUN. I'm still having fun after 5 years. Go you!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Congrats! Welcome to the loser’s bench!

Sharon said it all...^^

Most of all enjoy the journey ;-)

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Snooties75's Avatar
    Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    06/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Brown
    Last Activity
    04-03-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Congratulations! It sounds like it is going well so far. I am a month out from my surgery and posts like these help.

Jen

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Sharon first week advice which everyone has hear a million times.

1. Sleep all you can. I mean lots of naps! Your body is healing and sleep is the best remedy. I slept in my recliner that first week as my bed is so high. If you have kids or responsibilities, pass them off to someone else. These first few weeks are all about YOU. Hopefully someone else can cook for your family. I just had my hubby at home and he was on his own.

2. Walk a little when you are awake. Don't get carried away and try three miles or anything, just walk around your house at first. I know I got a little dizzy early on and didn't want to be far from home.

3. Sip every waking moment to meet your liquid and protein goals. Don't say you can't do it, you have to. I just kept my water bottle on a little table by my recliner.

4. While you are "chilling," start a journal. Log your measurements every month or two. Log your weight, but no more than once a week. Log your ounces of liquid and grams of protein. Remember if you drink a 20 ounce bottle of Isopure it counts toward both goals. I even counted my AM coffee as liquid. (My doctor had no problem with one cup of coffee). Thank God!!

5. Get excited! Your life is about to improve 100%. It is SO MUCH FUN. I'm still having fun after 5 years. Go you!
    This ^^^^^ Thank you you for posting this! I really, really need to see/hear this. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap and I was feeling so guilty. I feel like I should be doing more. I feel guilty asking my husband to help with my daughter. I feel bad telling her that I can't play with her right now. I was feeling so lousy earlier that I excused myself for just a few minutes, laid down on the bed, set the alarm for 20 minutes and woke up 3 hours later. Thank you for letting me know that its okay to rest and put the cleaning, gardening, entertaining to the side. My plans for the rest of this beautiful day: Sit in the recliner and sip, sip, sip. Maybe go for a short walk later. Thanks again Sharon!

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    This ^^^^^ Thank you you for posting this! I really, really need to see/hear this. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap and I was feeling so guilty. I feel like I should be doing more. I feel guilty asking my husband to help with my daughter. I feel bad telling her that I can't play with her right now. I was feeling so lousy earlier that I excused myself for just a few minutes, laid down on the bed, set the alarm for 20 minutes and woke up 3 hours later. Thank you for letting me know that its okay to rest and put the cleaning, gardening, entertaining to the side. My plans for the rest of this beautiful day: Sit in the recliner and sip, sip, sip. Maybe go for a short walk later. Thanks again Sharon!
    I felt guilty too and ended up vacuuming my house. I ended up hurting myself so please don't feel guilty. Let yourself rest and heal.

22. Said thanks: