Surgeon
    Dr. Avishi Meier
    Last Activity
    06-13-2020 09:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default My gastric sleeve journey.....so far

In August 2018, during a routine annual visit to PCP, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes amd High LDL. My weight was out of control and at 5’3” and 291 pounds, I was headed down a dangerous path. I was always what most people would describe as petite. It wasn’t until my youngest son was nearly 6 and my marriage was falling apart that in a moment of desperation to prove I was in charge that weight became a problem. In my “I’ll eat what I want” state of mind, by taking control, I was actually losing all semblance of control. 16 years later here I am. I began my journey on August 14, 2018 the day I walked out of my doctors office. I contacted Oregon Weight Loss Surgery amd began my application process. On October 4th I had my first appointment. My insurance required me to undergo six months of medical weight loss management before they would approve surgery. With the help and guidance of my dietitian at OWLS, I reached a pre-surgery weight of 247 (44 lbs down). On April 1, 2019 I had my surgery. Now comes the hard work. It’s not quite what I expected, and I am definitely experiencing challenges, but I’m hoping to connect here with others who both understand the journey and can mutually discuss where we are. Thanks ahead of time for listening.

2. The following 16 users said welcome NWLISA to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My gastric sleeve journey.....so far

Welcome Lisa. First of all congrats on your pre WLS weight loss. Secondly, what issues are you having? The more information you give the better people can help to give you guidance and advice.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Lisa.

Good on you for taking control of your life.
    I have responded to your other post re some for your challenges.
    The surgery is a great tool, but you are right we need to work at it too.
    It will certainly get easier the further along you are and one day you won't even remember these weeks. I can't at only 20 months out :-)

You will do great.

Keep coming on here and ask any questions or just have a vent if you are not having a great day. WE have all been there and are here to support.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Hi Lisa,
    Congrats on your sleeve! It's quite a process getting ready and then the unknown of immediately after for awhile can be challenging as well too. You had your sleeve on my birthday which must mean good luck LOL!

I'm 2 weeks out and have gone through a lot of emotions, but now that I've got my vitamins and protein in full force I'm feeling stronger every day. I do a lot of walking until I am cleared for normal exercise at the end of the month. I think the first month and few early months on are such a learning process as everyone's body seems to react differently. I can say without question, I do feel healthier and more clear headed (maybe from the lack of sugar, coffee and processed foods) than I have in the past few years.

It's a lifelong journey we're on and I just take it one day at time. You are not alone here, whatever stage your in.

Best of continued success to you.