Surgeon
    DR JON SCHRAM
    Last Activity
    08-28-2019 08:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default New and Scared.

Hello everyone! I have been heavy most of my life. I have all the typical "fat person" conditions including the latest edition.... DIABETES! Yay! I have been considering this surgery for a while now, but I am very scared. Not so much scared of having the actual procedure, but scared of what life will be like after. I have always had food as my best friend. I remember exactly when I realized this. I was in an abusive relationship as a teen, and after taking the abuse, this person would hug me and act like nothing happened. All I could think about was getting home and having my ramen noodles, cause that was my comfort and safe place. Needless to say food has always been my best friend, and thus, has stuck around with me in poundage of around 300 or so pounds! I think that the weight has been like a blanket for me, like no one can really get in and hurt me. But I know I am just hurting myself. I have read some of your stories and find you all amazing and courageous people. I just don't know if I have this in me to give up my best friend. But if I don't, I know I wont be around for my husband and daughter. I have never been able to be the mother my daughter deserved. She is now 18 and has her own life. I find myself wishing that things could have been different for her growing up. I was never able to do all the things physically that I would have liked to do with her. I was the one sitting on the bench. It is hard to see myself as a healthy person. What would I be like? How would people treat me? My father always would always tell me how much he worried about me and my weight. He was so loving and cared so much, but you know sometimes it is just easier to put your head in the sand. I know that I disappointed him too. I didn't get healthy before he died. Which is hard for me too. So here I am. Feeling alone and confused about my future. I have an appointment in June at bariatric clinic. Hoping to feel better about this all. Right now, with my new diagnosis, I find my self asking …."Do you want to live or do you want to die?" Does food have that much control that I am willing to not give it up? Or do I want to live? I have never felt like I was important enough to care. But find myself wondering if I could really do this and turn my life around. So thanks for listening, whoever you are and I wish you well.

2. The following 16 users said welcome Peg77 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New and Scared.

Welcome Peg and thanks for sharing your story. I love living life as a sleeved person. You do still have to make good choices. It isn't a magic wand that changes everything. You may want to seek counseling for your food addiction. It can help you tremendously in the process. The sleeve is a fantastic tool and it can help you get your life back. It can give you a chance to do more things with your daughter and husband.

Surgery date
    09/17/2019
    Surgeon
    DR JON SCHRAM
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thank you for the encouragement. Glad you are doing so well with it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Welcome Peg! The best advice I was given is that this is a marathon, not a weekend sprint. It is measured in years, not months. You can truly overcome your addiction with hard work. Do this for YOU!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Hi Peg,
    I think all of us that have been sleeved must have had these same thought + or - a few ourselves. Obviously, we've all struggled and couldn't control our weight. I was like you in that I thought about the sleeve for a few years before I finally went forward. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and fat. It is a serious question I think you need to be honest with yourself about, are you truly willing to eat like a sleeved person should? It's not a magic wand or easy fix. It's a tool for a new healthy, happy lifestyle in my opinion. I don't regret my decision for a minute. I wish you good luck on your decision.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Peg and welcome to the forum! You have a lot going on and I have been hesitant to offer any advice, but here goes: As you know, you have definite underlying issues to address and an unhealthy relationship with food. I have limited experience here (still a pre-sleever), but IMHO, if you don't address your food issues either before or during the sleeve process, you will end up gaining back the weight. The sleeve is merely a tool, not a cure-all for obesity. I think you'd be wasting your time having the sleeve done at this point without committing yourself to some sort of psychological interventions.

On a lighter (and less preachy) note, I'm glad you're here! This is a wonderful place to ask questions, seek advice and find support. Look around and you'll see what I mean. Welcome!

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Peg. You are making a wonderful decision for yourself, and yes, for your daughter. There can be lots ahead for you together. And someday, grandkids! Each of us deserves to have the best health possible. Mine was ghastly and like you, I was "on the way out". But the VGS and the wonderfult ool it is gave me anew, wonderful change at a life filed with people. And I've larned its about the people and memoies, not about the menus.

This is a solid group fo support. Be of good cheer!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Surgery date
    09/17/2019
    Surgeon
    DR JON SCHRAM
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thank you for the encouragement. I am starting to feel better about this. I want to be able to do things that I never thought I could do. I am excited about finding out more about this on June 19th. You look fantastic and healthy! I don't know what that is like but I sure can see hope now! I am done beating myself up and it's time to take care of ME! Thank you

Surgery date
    09/17/2019
    Surgeon
    DR JON SCHRAM
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times

Thank you so much! This is exactly how I feel! I am sick and tired of being sick and tired and fat!! I want to live and be healthy more than I want to be on a downward spiral to death. I am worth saving! This is how I am looking at this procedure, as a tool. I know there is no magic fix and I have to do the work, I guess this last diagnosis was my wake up call! It is so encouraging to me that you do not regret this decision. Thank you.

15. Said thanks: