Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Hello All,
    So as my title says, I am five years out from my VSG. Best thing that I have ever done for myself. Through nothing but my own fault, I have regained 20lbs. Nothing to do with VSG, but everything to do with me and my not being as vigilant. Inspired by sraebaer, I rejoined Weight Watchers last week. I am a Lifetime member and have done many programs over the years with them. When sraebaer mentioned that she had rejoined I thought that would mean that I had really failed, but I realized that by rejoining it means that I want to continue to be a success. I have found that by rejoining it is really holding me accountable and helping me to recognize some things that I had been eating are a little more higher in calories than I thought. I am happy to say that the weight is coming off because by combining eating mindfully, I am also consistently working out. I take 2 sometimes 3 weight training classes a week and I also take a high intensity cardio class one day a week, also returning to this forum is not only a great motivator, but it also helps with the accountability. These are the things that I am doing to make myself accountable, what are some of the things you are doing?



  2. Said thanks:


  3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  4. #2
    Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Last Activity
    05-06-2019 10:38 AM
    Location
    CT USA
    Posts
    429
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 292 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,508 Times
    Blog Entries
    73

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    I had to go back to the lose it app to keep track of my calories. Its easy to gain but in my experience it was easy to loose it if I do what I'm supposed to.
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    Its been 4+ years!

  5. Said thanks:


  6. #3
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ann2's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,588
    Said "Thanks" 5,699 Times
    Was Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,603 Times
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Kenson, you are always so smart and sensible. What a good point of view you have. I'm really happy you're having such good success and it's the wonderful accountability factor you needed.

    For the record, I'll be five years out this coming August. You're just a little ahead of me.

    You asked what I am doing these days, so here goes:

    1. It will shock no one to hear I'm still planning and tracking all my food, water, exercise, etc. on My Fitness Pal.

    2. I'm still doing yoga classes 2X/week.

    3. Still trying for 10K steps daily (and hitting that most days).

    4. Right now (springtime cleanup time) I'm working my patootie off on the farm.

    5. Doing everything I can to get at least 7 hours' sleep a night. I've figured out that that good sleep is pretty much necessary for me to do the other self-care behaviors I need to do to remain healthy.

    4. Drinking water -- but boy, do I struggle with this. If I drank 8 glasses of water every day I'd be so pleased with myself. Good news is I'm doing better than I used. Bad news is I seldom reach 8 glasses. Somebody come over here and spank me!

    5. Take all my meds (thyroid and antacid) and vitamin/mineral/other supplements every day! Never has been a problem for me.

    6. Still see my therapist once a month. I should have put this further up on the list. This really helps on life stressors, which we all have, and which are usually the source of poor self-care sneaking back in.

    7. Oh, and I weigh every morning, unless I'm not at home. And I record this in My Fitness Pal, too.

    8. I still eat most of my protein first during most of my meals. And I chew real good.

    9. My daily veggies/fruits servings have climbed in recent years to usually at least 8/day, but lately it's been more like 10-11/day. Boy, that's not only nutritious, but very satisfying. Makes everything else I'm eating burn slower and keeps me from getting hungry.

    10. If there's a meaningful celebration or a vacation where delicious foods are served, including foods and extra drinks I don't have on a regular basis, I enjoy them. And then when that's all over, I cut back for a while until my weight is back at goal or maybe even a little under. And I NEVER crash-diet, e.g., do the XYZ diet, or even keto (I like my veggies too much). Instead, I'll do things like cut out all breads, cheeses, and added sugar. That'll fix about anything for someone who needs to lose a little weight.

    11. I should also add that I'm VERY MOTIVATED to remain at my 100-pound weight loss goal!

    12. Finally, in addition to this group, I belong to another online group (but it's private) of a dozen people who were sleeved anywhere from 3 to 10 years ago. Some of us have met each other in real life, but most of us have not. However, we really click and have lots in common. Yes, we talk about weight, food, exercise, etc. (all the things I listed above and more). But as much or more than those topics, we share our challenges in daily life -- family illness and deaths, caregiving of others, our own ailments, work issues, new jobs, new babies and other family issues, etc. In other words, if it's a change in our lives or it's bugging us, we talk about it. And everyone is supportive of each other, no matter what approach they're taking to maintenance. Some are low carb, some are more balanced (like me), some count calories, others don't, some are serious athletes, others only walk around their living room or office. And nobody tries to make anybody else DO anything. That's up to each person. But we all show up regularly and find it to be a safe space to take the your laundry in your head and hang it out in sunshine. I suppose it's a lot like self talk, but in front of other people who understand what we're all dealing with.

    That's it. I'm done.



    Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

    First Surgiversary post

    Second Surgiversary post

    Third Surgiversary post


  7. #4
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Kenson, you are always so smart and sensible. What a good point of view you have. I'm really happy you're having such good success and it's the wonderful accountability factor you needed.

    For the record, I'll be five years out this coming August. You're just a little ahead of me.

    You asked what I am doing these days, so here goes:

    1. It will shock no one to hear I'm still planning and tracking all my food, water, exercise, etc. on My Fitness Pal.

    2. I'm still doing yoga classes 2X/week.

    3. Still trying for 10K steps daily (and hitting that most days).

    4. Right now (springtime cleanup time) I'm working my patootie off on the farm.

    5. Doing everything I can to get at least 7 hours' sleep a night. I've figured out that that good sleep is pretty much necessary for me to do the other self-care behaviors I need to do to remain healthy.

    4. Drinking water -- but boy, do I struggle with this. If I drank 8 glasses of water every day I'd be so pleased with myself. Good news is I'm doing better than I used. Bad news is I seldom reach 8 glasses. Somebody come over here and spank me!

    5. Take all my meds (thyroid and antacid) and vitamin/mineral/other supplements every day! Never has been a problem for me.

    6. Still see my therapist once a month. I should have put this further up on the list. This really helps on life stressors, which we all have, and which are usually the source of poor self-care sneaking back in.

    7. Oh, and I weigh every morning, unless I'm not at home. And I record this in My Fitness Pal, too.

    8. I still eat most of my protein first during most of my meals. And I chew real good.

    9. My daily veggies/fruits servings have climbed in recent years to usually at least 8/day, but lately it's been more like 10-11/day. Boy, that's not only nutritious, but very satisfying. Makes everything else I'm eating burn slower and keeps me from getting hungry.

    10. If there's a meaningful celebration or a vacation where delicious foods are served, including foods and extra drinks I don't have on a regular basis, I enjoy them. And then when that's all over, I cut back for a while until my weight is back at goal or maybe even a little under. And I NEVER crash-diet, e.g., do the XYZ diet, or even keto (I like my veggies too much). Instead, I'll do things like cut out all breads, cheeses, and added sugar. That'll fix about anything for someone who needs to lose a little weight.

    11. I should also add that I'm VERY MOTIVATED to remain at my 100-pound weight loss goal!

    12. Finally, in addition to this group, I belong to another online group (but it's private) of a dozen people who were sleeved anywhere from 3 to 10 years ago. Some of us have met each other in real life, but most of us have not. However, we really click and have lots in common. Yes, we talk about weight, food, exercise, etc. (all the things I listed above and more). But as much or more than those topics, we share our challenges in daily life -- family illness and deaths, caregiving of others, our own ailments, work issues, new jobs, new babies and other family issues, etc. In other words, if it's a change in our lives or it's bugging us, we talk about it. And everyone is supportive of each other, no matter what approach they're taking to maintenance. Some are low carb, some are more balanced (like me), some count calories, others don't, some are serious athletes, others only walk around their living room or office. And nobody tries to make anybody else DO anything. That's up to each person. But we all show up regularly and find it to be a safe space to take the your laundry in your head and hang it out in sunshine. I suppose it's a lot like self talk, but in front of other people who understand what we're all dealing with.

    That's it. I'm done.
    Oh Ann, you're the best!!!
    You've continued to being accountable since the beginning. I love it!!! This time around I am intending to holding on to my steadfast accountability!! I use to think that weighing everyday might not be good for me--but I recently purchased a digital scale, and I'm thinking that weighing myself atleast a few times a week might be a good thing. Thank you for continuing to inspire me and being the superstar that you already are!



  8. #5
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ann2's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,588
    Said "Thanks" 5,699 Times
    Was Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,603 Times
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Oh, hush! You were my hero first. xoxoxo



    Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

    First Surgiversary post

    Second Surgiversary post

    Third Surgiversary post

  9. Said thanks:


  10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  11. #6
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Activity
    05-24-2019 10:59 AM
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,429
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 853 Times in 648 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 484 Times
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    kenson, you're dedicated and diligent which are 2 "d" words that are important. We can all get off track, sidetracked about being mindful, whatever you want to call "life getting in the way" of success; but getting back on track is ope of the the most important aspect of maintenance. It's a challenge, let's not lie I have been thinking about adding some Saxenda to my regime to drop about 10 pounds, the 5-6 I keep gaining plus a little cushion for my lowest weight. however; it's just a thought at this point and I'm really "going back to basics" also.
    Congrats, kenson, you've always been "great" in my book!!!



  12. Said thanks:


  13. #7
    Gastric Sleeve Member KiwiGal's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Activity
    05-23-2019 07:23 PM
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    899
    Said "Thanks" 526 Times
    Was Thanked 594 Times in 458 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 508 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    You hit the nail on the head with accountability. We are answerable to ourselves and we owe it to ourselves to be accountable.

    I'm not even 2 years out yet but I continue to weigh my self every morning and record it, measure and weigh my food and record that in both an on line app and in a notebook. In the notebook I make a note of times that I eat to keep an eye on what might become a problem if my weight varies and the app gives me the nutritional value of my food. I need to do this to keep myself accountable. I don't see that changing any time soon.

    You sound as though you have it all under control - well done you!



  14. #8
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Activity
    05-20-2019 10:21 PM
    Posts
    5,058
    Said "Thanks" 939 Times
    Was Thanked 2,867 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,431 Times
    Blog Entries
    97

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    So I am not nearly as far out as you. I think the most important thing is weighing regularly so you can do something before the regain gets out of control. I do weigh daily and I will not buy any bigger pants. I am mindful of what I eat and workout 6 days a week. Kudos to you for taking back control. I wish I was a lifetime member of Weight Watchers. Right now I am doing well but I would definitely track my intake if I needed to lose some pounds.



  15. Said thanks:


  16. #9
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dutchie's Avatar
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 09:33 AM
    Posts
    1,171
    Said "Thanks" 927 Times
    Was Thanked 900 Times in 598 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 304 Times
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Thank you for this question.
    I am not so far out yet, but I still track, log, weigh and measure my food every day.
    I also weigh myself daily.
    I made a excel sheet, where I write down my weight every week.

    Some people call me "obsessed".
    Some people call me "too strict".
    But guess what?
    I am not the one gaining weight...
    English is not my first language, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.



  17. #10
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sandra3's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 10:08 AM
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,221
    Said "Thanks" 223 Times
    Was Thanked 901 Times in 656 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 442 Times
    Blog Entries
    56

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Hi Kenson!

    Most people will face a gain after two years. I think the most important is to face the reality like you did and take action.
    I'm 3 1/2 years out and faced regain several times, each time linked to meds. Sometimes it took me time to figure out why I regained, since my diet and exercise regimen didn't change. But now I know that each time it's meds, and since Nov it's meds and inactivity (being sick).

    I just got myself a new scale, it's called Fitindex. But many brands do the same job, that one just had a good rep and was cheap.
    I think just weight is not enough, looking at water retention and fat% helps me more.

    Like Christie said, carbs can trigger cravings, but I also realized for me it's a big trigger for my arthritis pain/ joint pain. My knee got swollen and painful last week, right after we had friends over and had (for once in a blue moon) a little piece of cake.
    I've been away from sweets lately and was surprised that so little sugar could create such a big issue in no time...still learning!

    Take care


    HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

  18. #11
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aydensmomma View Post
    I had to go back to the lose it app to keep track of my calories. Its easy to gain but in my experience it was easy to loose it if I do what I'm supposed to.
    Totally on point. It seems like it is easy to gain, but the minute you take your mind off of it and not pay attention, it will come back!



  19. #12
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    You hit the nail on the head with accountability. We are answerable to ourselves and we owe it to ourselves to be accountable.

    I'm not even 2 years out yet but I continue to weigh my self every morning and record it, measure and weigh my food and record that in both an on line app and in a notebook. In the notebook I make a note of times that I eat to keep an eye on what might become a problem if my weight varies and the app gives me the nutritional value of my food. I need to do this to keep myself accountable. I don't see that changing any time soon.

    You sound as though you have it all under control - well done you!
    I think you have developed a good plan. I think by weighing and recording the specifics you really see the exact time when you may be slipping.



  20. Said thanks:


  21. #13
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    Thank you for this question.
    I am not so far out yet, but I still track, log, weigh and measure my food every day.
    I also weigh myself daily.
    I made a excel sheet, where I write down my weight every week.

    Some people call me "obsessed".
    Some people call me "too strict".
    But guess what?
    I am not the one gaining weight...
    Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe in the past I would have said that weighing and tracking were a bit too much, but uhm, I'm the one that gained the weight. Guess what I'm doing? Weighing and tracking!



  22. Said thanks:


  23. #14
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Hi Kenson!

    Most people will face a gain after two years. I think the most important is to face the reality like you did and take action.
    I'm 3 1/2 years out and faced regain several times, each time linked to meds. Sometimes it took me time to figure out why I regained, since my diet and exercise regimen didn't change. But now I know that each time it's meds, and since Nov it's meds and inactivity (being sick).

    I just got myself a new scale, it's called Fitindex. But many brands do the same job, that one just had a good rep and was cheap.
    I think just weight is not enough, looking at water retention and fat% helps me more.

    Like Christie said, carbs can trigger cravings, but I also realized for me it's a big trigger for my arthritis pain/ joint pain. My knee got swollen and painful last week, right after we had friends over and had (for once in a blue moon) a little piece of cake.
    I've been away from sweets lately and was surprised that so little sugar could create such a big issue in no time...still learning!

    Take care
    Sandra,
    I also have arthritis and my knees have been killing me lately!! Thankfully, I've been in remission of my rheumatoid arthritis for many years. My culprit for my weight gain has definitely been sugar. I wish I had never started using sugar again! I recently purchased a digital scale as part of my new arsenal of accountability!



  24. Said thanks:


  25. #15
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dutchie's Avatar
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 09:33 AM
    Posts
    1,171
    Said "Thanks" 927 Times
    Was Thanked 900 Times in 598 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 304 Times
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Thank you Sandra and Kenson, for mentioning that sugar!
    Every once in a while I take a little bite of something sugary, like those beautiful Greek cakes (I am in Greece currently), but it amazes me to see, how quickly that affects me.
    And actually, it scares me as well...
    So, no sugar for me.
    English is not my first language, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •