Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Activity
    05-24-2019 10:59 AM
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,429
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 853 Times in 648 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 484 Times
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    That darn sugar sets off an "alarm" in the brain that says, "eat more and more" to me! Actually I like the sweets more now than I did before surgery, and that totally scares me too. If I wander into the sweets on the weekend, I can easily see a 1-3 pound gain and then it's back at it on Monday. I swore that I wouldn't use the catch-phrase, "I'll start the diet on Monday", but now I sometimes resort to the pre op diet on a Monday.

    I am really being mindful of the sweet temptations and am working on gaining back my willpower over these sinful treats because for me they're evil.



  2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  3. #17
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    That darn sugar sets off an "alarm" in the brain that says, "eat more and more" to me! Actually I like the sweets more now than I did before surgery, and that totally scares me too. If I wander into the sweets on the weekend, I can easily see a 1-3 pound gain and then it's back at it on Monday. I swore that I wouldn't use the catch-phrase, "I'll start the diet on Monday", but now I sometimes resort to the pre op diet on a Monday.

    I am really being mindful of the sweet temptations and am working on gaining back my willpower over these sinful treats because for me they're evil.
    My biggest regret is that I started using sugar again. Once I started, my "sweet tooth" came roaring back. I do not like the artifical sweetners, I've tried stevia (yuck)



  4. #18
    Gastric Sleeve Member Ann2's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    6,588
    Said "Thanks" 5,699 Times
    Was Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,603 Times
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    I really try to keep all sugar-sweets OUTSIDE the house. Yes, I'll have dessert (a good one) at a dinner party or nice restaurant or on vacation. But I seldom have ice cream or cookies or candy in the house.

    It's one of my (several) kryptonites. Oddly, another one is nuts, which is something that doesn't bother many people at all.

    And crackers -- even the "healthy" seed crackers -- can't coexist with those very easily. And definitely not corn chips or potato chips. Those don't come home either.

    This is all so individualized for each of us. What works is to know our danger zones and AVOID THEM!



    Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

    First Surgiversary post

    Second Surgiversary post

    Third Surgiversary post

  5. #19
    Gastric Sleeve Member sraebaer's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/07/2013
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 07:26 PM
    Posts
    3,898
    Said "Thanks" 793 Times
    Was Thanked 2,985 Times in 1,812 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 122 Times
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    What frustrates me is when I'm doing everything right and gain. I'm still 2 pounds under my goal, but was 4 pounds under at WW on Saturday. All I'm eating is lean protein, veggies, fruits and veggies. I have resisted every single piece of crap in every single teacher lounge every day I sub. (Must be teacher appreciation month or something). Cakes, cookies, pizza, the whole 9 yards. I haven't been feeling well, and as a result not getting in my typical exercise, for a week or so, maybe that's it. Plus it's raining so much I should build an Arc. I guess I should understand that fluctuations are common. And now it is 1:48 am and I can't sleep. Never been a sleeper. Pity party over.



  6. #20
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dutchie's Avatar
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Activity
    Today 12:09 AM
    Posts
    1,171
    Said "Thanks" 927 Times
    Was Thanked 900 Times in 598 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 304 Times
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    My point exactly.
    It is one thing to gain, when I are eating things I shoulnd't.
    But doing everything right and then see the scale go up...
    Very frustrating indeed.
    But you are doing great.
    You lost that gain so quickly, that must feel good!

    p.s. inspired by you I just reached out to my old WW group, to see, if I am still in their administration.
    it was ages ago, but I think it may be a good idea to take a look at their new program.
    After all, I am a lifetime member (three times over, if I remember correctly )
    English is not my first language, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.



  7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
  8. #21
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    I really try to keep all sugar-sweets OUTSIDE the house. Yes, I'll have dessert (a good one) at a dinner party or nice restaurant or on vacation. But I seldom have ice cream or cookies or candy in the house.

    It's one of my (several) kryptonites. Oddly, another one is nuts, which is something that doesn't bother many people at all.

    And crackers -- even the "healthy" seed crackers -- can't coexist with those very easily. And definitely not corn chips or potato chips. Those don't come home either.

    This is all so individualized for each of us. What works is to know our danger zones and AVOID THEM!
    I cannot have any type of cookie or candy in the house period. That is my kryptonite. Forget potato chips!!!



  9. Said thanks:


  10. #22
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    What frustrates me is when I'm doing everything right and gain. I'm still 2 pounds under my goal, but was 4 pounds under at WW on Saturday. All I'm eating is lean protein, veggies, fruits and veggies. I have resisted every single piece of crap in every single teacher lounge every day I sub. (Must be teacher appreciation month or something). Cakes, cookies, pizza, the whole 9 yards. I haven't been feeling well, and as a result not getting in my typical exercise, for a week or so, maybe that's it. Plus it's raining so much I should build an Arc. I guess I should understand that fluctuations are common. And now it is 1:48 am and I can't sleep. Never been a sleeper. Pity party over.
    Yes!!! Yesterday was Teacher Appreciation Day at my school. Every year the administrators serve the teachers breakfast. It's a huge shindig with bacon, eggs, omelets, potatoes, waffles, pancakes, bagels, etc. I went (to get my gift), got a few grapes and that was it! I've been weighing everyday, which is a first for me, and it has been amazing to see how much my weight fluctuates from day to day and even weighing in the morning versus weighing in the afternoon. Hang in there, you're still doing great and you're under goal!!!



  11. Said thanks:


  12. #23
    Gastric Sleeve Member kenson's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 08:30 AM
    Posts
    910
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 348 Times in 268 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    My point exactly.
    It is one thing to gain, when I are eating things I shoulnd't.
    But doing everything right and then see the scale go up...
    Very frustrating indeed.
    But you are doing great.
    You lost that gain so quickly, that must feel good!

    p.s. inspired by you I just reached out to my old WW group, to see, if I am still in their administration.
    it was ages ago, but I think it may be a good idea to take a look at their new program.
    After all, I am a lifetime member (three times over, if I remember correctly )
    I love the new program at WW, and I'm sure you will too. I am sure they have you in the system, when you give them your name, they will find you!



  13. Said thanks:


  14. #24
    Gastric Sleeve Member Katrina's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Activity
    05-20-2019 10:49 AM
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    649
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 331 Times in 237 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    That darn sugar sets off an "alarm" in the brain that says, "eat more and more" to me! Actually I like the sweets more now than I did before surgery, and that totally scares me too. If I wander into the sweets on the weekend, I can easily see a 1-3 pound gain and then it's back at it on Monday. I swore that I wouldn't use the catch-phrase, "I'll start the diet on Monday", but now I sometimes resort to the pre op diet on a Monday.

    I am really being mindful of the sweet temptations and am working on gaining back my willpower over these sinful treats because for me they're evil.
    I could have written this same exact thing. I love sweets now way more than prior to surgery. It's bizarre. I was able to eat as much of them as I wanted for the first 3 years post op. Now I have to be a little more careful. I have been limiting candy and chips mostly to the weekends now, but this week has been a doozy. I've been snacking all week. I'm at my high end of normal for me, but it's ok because I know I can easily take off the 3 pounds in a day or two... starting Monday of course.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115


  15. #25
    Gastric Sleeve Member jaimaroo's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jaime
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ungson
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 04:15 PM
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    270
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    Hi everyone!
    This post is hitting home with me!
    I went for a check-up last week and expressed my displeasure that the scale keeps going up and never goes down. I have known for about a year that I am on a bad course. I am still down over 100 pounds, but I now need to lose 40 more. I remember when it was 20. After a good talk with the doc I decided to join Noom. I LOVE IT so far. It has only been a few days, but it is really helping me take an honest look at myself and have some accountability. The biggest lesson I have learned is that I will always have to be aware and on it. Hitting your goal does not mean that you get to just start being your old self. I also have to remember that I am not built like other people. I can't lay in bed late at night munching on carbs. I am pretty sure that is where all the weight came from. I don't eat a lot at a time....I have always been good at that, but chips and carbs....they don't make a dent. I can just keep going.
    I live with a 17 year old male and him and dad eat....a lot. When my partner cooks he uses a ton of butter and oil. Noom hasn't taught me anything I don't know, but instead has forced me to take a real look at myself and make some changes. I am finally feeling like I can win again. I want to look in the mirror and love what I see. I think "bottom" for me this round was seeing pictures where I thought my face looked fat.
    Keep it up everyone! I am rooting for you.



  16. Said thanks:


  17. #26
    Gastric Sleeve Member Dutchie's Avatar
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Activity
    Today 12:09 AM
    Posts
    1,171
    Said "Thanks" 927 Times
    Was Thanked 900 Times in 598 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 304 Times
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Five Years Out--ACCOUNTABILITY--what are using/doing?

    I love this post!
    English is not my first language, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •