Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Self Pay and seriously depressed

Yeah credit card is better than those rates. I'd talk to your bank about it and see about a personal or home equity loan. You can pay higher rates on short term loans but if you are in otherwise good financial shape and have some collateral that could lead to some much better options. 30% is obscene you'd be better off pushing back a few months and saving some cash by taking some extra hours at that rate.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for all of your helpful suggestions! This is why I love this forum so much - I always get such encouragement and great information from you all. I am not giving up. Where there is a will, there's a way. I have some time to figure out a solution as I am not having the surgery til the end of June - at the earliest as that is when I have the time off from work. I do wish the whole process was easier though, like buying furniture or a new car

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Awww Jess, that sucks honestly. I was in my preop visit at the doctors office and there was a woman who was in the same situation as you are in. We talked about how crazy it is for health insurance not to cover these lifesaving WLS procedures. Do they not understand the expense of our healthcare will decrease dramatically when we have the excess weight off regarding high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc. It makes me furious. It's a hard enough decision to come to and commit to and the fact they are forcing people to pay out of pocket is ridiculous.

I'll send best wishes and prayers that you'll get a positive answer soon. Hang in there!

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Your Florida quote sounds reasonable, I paid $14,000 5 years ago. I would also add "complications" insurance if they sell it, most Centers of Excellence do. Because of your insurance doesn't cover bariatric surgery, it also won't cover any complications of bariatric surgery, (at lease mine won't). For example if you had to return to the hospital with dehydration or something it would be out-of-pocket and could totally bankrupt your family. My bariatric center didn't sell the insurance back then, they do now.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes you can usually get a personal or signature loan for much lower. Also....do you have a 401K with your job? When I was wanting to get out of credit card debt I was able to take a loan from my 401K for 6%...and the beauty is that I am paying myself back. I had many options for the length of time to pay it back. And since it is my money and it auto pays from my check it was an instant thing I could do on my own HR website. Good luck to you Jess. I hate to hear that you are having such a hard time with it.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/21/2019
    Surgeon
    Michael williams md
    Last Activity
    05-06-2019 06:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Friends of mine did the mexico thing and said care was clean and great and one is a nurse. If my insurance didn't pay I would go. Also know a nurse that went to Belgium for back surgery and another who went to India for dental implants. All were successful. Our healthcare system is in shambles. I retired from nursing after 45 years.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

I spent a lot of time looking for the best deal. I managed to find a lender to give me a loan for the total amount at a of rate a little over 11% for 5 years with no pre-payment penalty. I was looking for the lowest monthly payment possible and ended up around $220/month. What I would suggest to anyone in the same situation is going to sites such as creditkarma or nerdwallet and putting in your information to see what you can prequalify for from lenders and getting an idea of rates and payments. These places do a "soft-pull" on your credit so it won't hurt your rating. Once you get a few names of lenders, research BBB (Better Business Bureau) complaints and ratings and online reviews. Then go to the lender's website directly to apply to get the best rate. Hopefully someday, all insurances will cover bariatric surgery but for now, it's a real PIA.

Surgery date
    05/17/2019
    Surgeon
    Daly/Nguyen (UCI)
    Last Activity
    07-06-2019 01:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Just chiming in to say I’m sorry and I hope things work out soon!!!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I am so happy for you that you managed to find a way to get your surgery!
    Are you going to a local hospital?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

First, I am so annoyed anyone has to go through the added stress - but my cardiologist (not the bariatric guy) said it is a known health benefit. But he also said that insurance, sadly, looks at recoupment of break even, or profit. And since the average time people stay with one company now is apparently about 2 years, the companies cannot break even. Well boo hoo. In my case, they would have saved them (and us) 6 heart stents, 3 round of cardiac rehab, countless medications for angina and failed triple by pass.

I was self pay. We are retired with a fixed income. It was a huge investment. All I can say is, 13 less medications, no hospitalizations in 2 years (first time in 17 years) and no unrelenting angina. No chair lift needed which we were fixing to get (and insurance would have paid for).

Find a way...and do it! You are deserving and I truly believe it will work out.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

19. Said thanks: