Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Self Pay and seriously depressed

I am truly at the end of my rope. My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery - which really sucks - but I am willing to take out a loan to pay for it. March 20th I got a quote from LendingClub (one of the three lenders my surgeon is affiliated with) and was quoted interest rates ranging from 11.9% to 15.9%, depending on the length of the loan. Now that I am within 60 days of my surgery date, I went back to LendingClub to review my options and was quoted a rate of 32.07% - which practically DOUBLES my monthly payment. CareCredit will ONLY lend me $8000 at 26.9% (surgery costs $10,500). And lender number three is "United Medical Credit" and my application is still pending, but I hear they are the worst of the three lenders.

I've been crying my heart out and I am so, so, so discouraged and upset! I don't think I can afford to have the surgery. I make a good living as a Nurse Practitioner, I work 50-60 hours a week, pay all my bills on time, have good credit but I am the sole breadwinner for my family and money is pretty tight. UGGHHH! I just don't get it??? It is so unfair that I am trying to do something positive here - to improve my health, reduce my healthcare costs, extend my healthy years, prolong my life, etc and it is such an UPHILL battle every freakin' step of the way. Good lord - I can buy FURNITURE and get 5 years of interest-free financing, but to save my LIFE, I have to pay exorbitantly high interest rates. What is wrong with this picture? The whole world is so freakin' backwards. I am thoroughly disgusted...

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Default Re: Self Pay and seriously depressed

I’m so sorry to hear of your predicament! I agree that insurance should cover the cost as we are improving our health by having the surgery and this should translate to less healthcare costs they are responsible for in the future. Is it possible to qualify for a personal loan through a local bank? I have no experience with this, but I wonder if it’s possible? I’m sorry I had to laugh at your remark about the furniture...it’s so true! There is something backwards about the whole situation.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    08/16/2019
    Surgeon
    Alexander Ramirez
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 07:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

Could you possibly get a personal loan from your bank to cover the cost or partial cost of the procedure? I know it's heartbreaking but don't give up! I haven't had surgery yet as I'm about half way through w/all my appointments required by my insurance. I'm hoping they will approve mine and honestly don't know what I'll do if they don't as I don't want to have to pay out of pocket. I also know of someone who went to Mexico and had hers done about a month ago. She said their rates were a lot cheaper than here in the U.S.

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
    I’m so sorry to hear of your predicament! I agree that insurance should cover the cost as we are improving our health by having the surgery and this should translate to less healthcare costs they are responsible for in the future. Is it possible to qualify for a personal loan through a local bank? I have no experience with this, but I wonder if it’s possible? I’m sorry I had to laugh at your remark about the furniture...it’s so true! There is something backwards about the whole situation.
    Thank you for your reply! Yes, insurance should cover it. It is a relatively inexpensive treatment for a serious and costly disease. All of us who are obese will likely become diabetic as well (among other things). All of the newer and most effective diabetes drugs cost between $400 -$800 per month. How does it make sense NOT to cover the surgery? But anyways, I'm okay with paying for it myself, I just can't believe the leg-breaking loan shark rates these lenders charge. I guess I'll have to look at other options with local banks and credit cards. The furniture thing is crazy...isn't it? I see those stupid commercials all the time. Many even say "make no payments until 2024" or some ridiculous date 3 or 5 years out. It's insane!

Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I’m so sorry ... this such a roller coaster to begin with, I know it’s depressing. BUT WHERE THERES A WILL THERES A WAY !!.. I believe if you stay focused something positive will happen and you will be good to go. It’s almost like there’s hurdles and hoops to mentally prepare the ones of us that need that extra reminder (Lord knows I had mine) I almost said the hell with it several times..

YOU STAY FOCUSED!!... you been a supportive voice on hear and you not alone NOW !!
    Just remember ATTITUDE has POWER !!

Like some other have mentioned maybe a bank loan or some other source.. you work 50-60 hrs a week and have show dedication or you wouldn’t be a “NP” so don’t you just walk away !!.... You look in the mirror and say somehow someway we got this and the person looking back wants it !!... so look at all you options.. DONT STOP ! Till you find the answer !!.... ITS JUST ONE MORE HURDLE ..

YOU GOT THIS !!... you want this .. and You deserve this .. DO IT FOR YOU !!... you been the bread winner so to speak.. (Time for you to WIN) !!

I think we all need to meet somewhere and just shake each other SAYING .. FOCUS !!.. it once was easy but now we have a WAY, just got to find OUR WAY !!

Put a smile on your face and FACE THE WORLD !!... I don’t have to tell ya some folks would love to have our health our desires and our FOCUS !!

Hoping for a much better day for YOU !!

RUSS

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gatorgirl0210 View Post
    Could you possibly get a personal loan from your bank to cover the cost or partial cost of the procedure? I know it's heartbreaking but don't give up! I haven't had surgery yet as I'm about half way through w/all my appointments required by my insurance. I'm hoping they will approve mine and honestly don't know what I'll do if they don't as I don't want to have to pay out of pocket. I also know of someone who went to Mexico and had hers done about a month ago. She said their rates were a lot cheaper than here in the U.S.
    I have thought about going to Mexico, but I am just really afraid. I have a bad feeling that something would go wrong and I would develop some horrible infection or major complication. I would never forgive myself for putting my family through something like that.

I'm sure your insurance will cover it for you. It seems like everyone who does what the insurance asks eventually gets approved, it just may take a little longer until you get your surgery date and a lot of jumping through hoops. It is frustrating though. I wish it was an easier process for all of us - insured or not - to get the surgery. Thanks for your reply!

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

O wow, Russ, this is a peptalk!
    I love "attitude is power".
    You are so right with that.

Hang in there Jess, you will find a solution, I am sure of that.
    I can't help you with a sensible answer, I have no idea, how those things work in the States.
    As for going to mexico, I would be really careful.
    If I had to choose a surgeon over there, it would be dr. Alvarez, with Endobariatrics.com
    But I don't think he is as cheap as the other Mexican surgeons.
    But it is hard to put a price tag on health...

I hope a solution will present itself soon!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truss View Post
    I’m so sorry ... this such a roller coaster to begin with, I know it’s depressing. BUT WHERE THERES A WILL THERES A WAY !!.. I believe if you stay focused something positive will happen and you will be good to go. It’s almost like there’s hurdles and hoops to mentally prepare the ones of us that need that extra reminder (Lord knows I had mine) I almost said the hell with it several times..

YOU STAY FOCUSED!!... you been a supportive voice on hear and you not alone NOW !!
    Just remember ATTITUDE has POWER !!

Like some other have mentioned maybe a bank loan or some other source.. you work 50-60 hrs a week and have show dedication or you wouldn’t be a “NP” so don’t you just walk away !!.... You look in the mirror and say somehow someway we got this and the person looking back wants it !!... so look at all you options.. DONT STOP ! Till you find the answer !!.... ITS JUST ONE MORE HURDLE ..

YOU GOT THIS !!... you want this .. and You deserve this .. DO IT FOR YOU !!... you been the bread winner so to speak.. (Time for you to WIN) !!

I think we all need to meet somewhere and just shake each other SAYING .. FOCUS !!.. it once was easy but now we have a WAY, just got to find OUR WAY !!

Put a smile on your face and FACE THE WORLD !!... I don’t have to tell ya some folks would love to have our health our desires and our FOCUS !!

Hoping for a much better day for YOU !!

RUSS
    Awww Russ - you are SUCH a great guy! I'm going to put a big smile on my face, put on my "big girl pants" and get to work, doing what I LOVE. You are right and I know how lucky I am. Talk about first-world problems! I know it will all work out in the end, just wish it wasn't so freakin' hard to do the right thing. Thanks for the pep talk and so glad you are doing so well!!

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    O wow, Russ, this is a peptalk!
    I love "attitude is power".
    You are so right with that.

Hang in there Jess, you will find a solution, I am sure of that.
    I can't help you with a sensible answer, I have no idea, how those things work in the States.
    As for going to mexico, I would be really careful.
    If I had to choose a surgeon over there, it would be dr. Alvarez, with Endobariatrics.com
    But I don't think he is as cheap as the other Mexican surgeons.
    But it is hard to put a price tag on health...

I hope a solution will present itself soon!
    Thank you for your post and your suggestion. I am going to looking into Mexico as an option, but for me it really would be a last resort. I don't think my quote for $10,500 here in Florida is excessive. Mexico is probably only about $5000 less (?) or so. If it's enough to make the difference between being able to afford the surgery or not, I may have to go that route. Now...off to work!

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. A car loan is so much cheaper!! I would just keep shopping around at different banks. Or maybe someone in the financial industry has a better idea! Borrowing off your 401K or a life insurance policy, I don't know. There has to be an answer.

I also have health insurance with a specific no bariatric surgery clause. That's so stupid, because the money they will pay in the long run will be far higher. I was lucky to be able to afford the surgery, but now I have to be so careful that nothing is ever coded as bariatric, like blood work, or they won't pay. I'm always worried that no matter what happens to me now they will say is due to my surgery, and it's been 5 years.

Good luck, pray everything works out. I can tell you it's worth it, even if you have to live on a little less for a while.

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member madjar1106's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. B
    Last Activity
    08-24-2021 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I've read where some people will get a 0% interest rate credit card & just make monthly payments on that. Is that an option for you? Sorry you are going through this. Best of luck!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Girl, get your butt to Mexico! I personally know quite a few people who have gone, and they loved their experience. My daughter and I both had surgery here in the states and we both ended up with complications. That can happen anywhere. This is your sign that Mexico is the place to go. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Actually have looked into it for tummy tuck, but, surprisingly, it isnt cheaper there than here. Don't be scared. Put on your brave face, and make this dream of yours come true.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

That's terrible. I will never understand insurance. Mine was amazing and I thank God for that, had to be over 40 BMI and I just made it. Others need to be under that, and if they are over are not approved. It makes no sense.
    REMEMBER You are doing an amazing thing and I know how hard it is to get to the point where you finally get the surgery date and I hope you are able to keep your date but if you cant get it done in 60 days that doesn't mean it won't happen. IF🤞 it doesn't happen put aside whatever the payment would have been every month and just save up to get to the point where financing will be a little easier.
    If your credit is good are you able to get a credit card with a high limit and a low interest rate? Is their anyone in your family who would be willing to help or co sign a loan? Can you borrow against your 401k? Whatever needs to happen WILL happen and hopefully it happens soon, but again, if it doesn't happen by the surgery date DO NOT give up!!!!
    I wish you the best of luck!❤
    😡Insurance companies!!! Don't they see paying for the surgery now will save them in the future!?😡
    Reason: Spelling
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Is insurance not covering it because your personal healthcare doesn't have a "bariatric surgery" option included as many employers don't because it costs them more. If this is the case, perhaps you can go the https://www.yourweightmatters.org/ as I hear they sometimes have grants for those seeking surgery without insurance; worth a try. Good luck!!

25. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

You've already been given great advice. I'm just going to send positive prayers and juju that there will be a financial breakthrough for you to get your surgery! Amen!

27. Said thanks: