Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default How much do you fluctuate maintaining?

Slowly, very slowly my weight begins to creep up
    I am now about 4 pounds heavier than half a year ago.
    I know it can have to do with water retaining, bowel movements etc., but it kind of freaks me out.
    I knew that those few pounds increase were to be expected, but how much is a few pounds?
    Where does it stop?
    I know I have said that I would not mind being a little heavier, but now that is really happening, I am not pleased with it.
    I am not doing anything different, same routine, same exercise, everything.
    Are these the couple of pounds that just happen for no apparent reason?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: How much do you fluctuate maintaining?

You weigh practically nothing Dutchie, unless you are 5 feet tall or something. I certainly wouldn't worry! Your body may want to weigh a little more.

I'm the opposite, I have to work really hard to stay at the high end of healthy BMI. I've learned my lesson, to be very careful not to gain, because something as small as a 5 pound gain after a vacation can take me 6 weeks to lose!

Maintenance is not for wimps that's for sure.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I never know how many feet and inches I am.
    I am 160 centimeter, 1,60 meter.
    How many feet and inches is that?
    I know it is 5,25 feet, but I am confused about the inches...
    Could it be 5'3"?

I agree I have room to play with.
    But gaining without knowing the reason kinda freaks me out...
    I eat the same portions for the last half year, my sleeve is at its full capacity.
    I have no idea where these pounds come from and I don't know if they have friends, that want to join the party...
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I've been in maintenance for 11 months now, and have maintained the same basic diet, exercise routine in those 11 months, have maintained at 180 lbs (a 90 lb loss total). Recently for the last month, I've gone up to 183 and then I fluctuate between 180 to 183. Today I was 181. It's unnerving because I was literally 180 lbs for 11 months. I don't like seeing those extra 3 lbs. However to lose weight (I take in maintenance calories)....to lose I would have to track again and go to 1200 calories per day....is not easy! When you have been in maintenance for so long, it just seems silly to restrict your calories to 1200 calories. So I just try to be very mindful about my calories, reduce snacks etc. when I hit the 183 lbs, and within a day or two I'm back down to 181. However I want to be back on that smooth, never fail number of 180 lbs every day. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and start tracking again to eat 1200 calories a day. I do know exactly how you feel though. I don't want to overreact but it's unnerving.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

You are me, except the do the right thing healthier version. I lost down really low (lowest 102 but consistent 105) despite eating everything in sight - poptsrts at 2 in the morning for instance. I stayed there until April 2017,when out of the blue, here came the pounds. April 1, I weighed 102. I quit smoking that day and got my first round of steroid shots for my neck. By August I was at 117. There was no change in my eating habits whatsoever. In August, the gain just stopped, and I leveled out. Now I average between 115 - 118. Lower during the week and higher on the weekends.

I think we just got too low, and our bodies take a period to readjust, then settle down again. I never wanted to be that skinny until I started gaining again. It was scary. It still stresses me out sometimes, but I'm pretty comfortable now. I know it's tough to regain even when it is a healthy amount gained.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSleeve View Post
    I never know how many feet and inches I am.
    I am 160 centimeter, 1,60 meter.
    How many feet and inches is that?
    I know it is 5,25 feet, but I am confused about the inches...
    Could it be 5'3"?

I agree I have room to play with.
    But gaining without knowing the reason kinda freaks me out...
    I eat the same portions for the last half year, my sleeve is at its full capacity.
    I have no idea where these pounds come from and I don't know if they have friends, that want to join the party...
    Yes you would be 5'3" inches. So a healthy BMI range for you would be 107 to 140. So you were at the very low end of your BMI. I can say that my low end is 91 lbs and I know that at 91 lbs I would not look healthy. I know it is hard to see the scale go up but as long as you look healthy I would not worry about it. But it is ultimately about feeling healthy. They say most people will hit a low and then go up a few lbs from there and still be in the healthy range. I would not be too worried unless you were consistently gaining weight.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimsterama View Post
    I've been in maintenance for 11 months now, and have maintained the same basic diet, exercise routine in those 11 months, have maintained at 180 lbs (a 90 lb loss total). Recently for the last month, I've gone up to 183 and then I fluctuate between 180 to 183. Today I was 181. It's unnerving because I was literally 180 lbs for 11 months. I don't like seeing those extra 3 lbs. However to lose weight (I take in maintenance calories)....to lose I would have to track again and go to 1200 calories per day....is not easy! When you have been in maintenance for so long, it just seems silly to restrict your calories to 1200 calories. So I just try to be very mindful about my calories, reduce snacks etc. when I hit the 183 lbs, and within a day or two I'm back down to 181. However I want to be back on that smooth, never fail number of 180 lbs every day. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and start tracking again to eat 1200 calories a day. I do know exactly how you feel though. I don't want to overreact but it's unnerving.
    Well, yes, that is the right word for it.
    It is unnerving!
    I also think it is good to monitor it and don't let it spiral out of control.
    I'll have to give it some more thought...

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    You are me, except the do the right thing healthier version. I lost down really low (lowest 102 but consistent 105) despite eating everything in sight - poptsrts at 2 in the morning for instance. I stayed there until April 2017,when out of the blue, here came the pounds. April 1, I weighed 102. I quit smoking that day and got my first round of steroid shots for my neck. By August I was at 117. There was no change in my eating habits whatsoever. In August, the gain just stopped, and I leveled out. Now I average between 115 - 118. Lower during the week and higher on the weekends.

I think we just got too low, and our bodies take a period to readjust, then settle down again. I never wanted to be that skinny until I started gaining again. It was scary. It still stresses me out sometimes, but I'm pretty comfortable now. I know it's tough to regain even when it is a healthy amount gained.
    Thanks Katrina, I am always thinking of you, when I post something like this.
    We are kinda the same here.
    I think you are right, in that our bodies are not happy with that low weight and correct themselves.
    But your medication and quitting smoking certainly "helped".
    I will just wait and see what happens.
    I have been around 114 pounds, before my pregnancies for a couple of years.
    Maybe that is where my body wants to go.
    And with that 114 I will still look slim.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Yes you would be 5'3" inches. So a healthy BMI range for you would be 107 to 140. So you were at the very low end of your BMI. I can say that my low end is 91 lbs and I know that at 91 lbs I would not look healthy. I know it is hard to see the scale go up but as long as you look healthy I would not worry about it. But it is ultimately about feeling healthy. They say most people will hit a low and then go up a few lbs from there and still be in the healthy range. I would not be too worried unless you were consistently gaining weight.
    Thank you for calculating my lenght.
    Yes, I am at the very low end of my BMI, so I don't have to be afraid to gain some more pounds.
    But I also want it to stop at a certain point.
    I will do my best not to worry and not do anything drastic right now.
    Just a couple of pounds more wouldn't hurt.
    I will do my best not to panic.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    You weigh practically nothing Dutchie, unless you are 5 feet tall or something. I certainly wouldn't worry! Your body may want to weigh a little more.

I'm the opposite, I have to work really hard to stay at the high end of healthy BMI. I've learned my lesson, to be very careful not to gain, because something as small as a 5 pound gain after a vacation can take me 6 weeks to lose!

Amen to that!
    I will trust my body and the process.
    And I will probably look better with a couple of pounds more anyway...

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post

When I did the calculator I think you are 5 feet and 1/4 inch tall. So you are tiny!!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I don't think that I am that small.
    But 5'3" is not long either.
    Plus I am very petite.

But, gaining 2,2 kilo's (4.8 lbs) since the beginning of this year, does not make me happy.
    I feel kind of panicky...

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

If only America would have gone to the metric system when I was a child like they said they would, we wouldn't all be so confused!!

But I think you're all right, as a quarter of a foot would be 3 inches.

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

So I'm almost 4.5 years out. I started 255 got down to 127 and at 5'7" that was no good for me, I had the green light for the 1st time in my life to gain
    And gain I did, i reached my goal of 145 and exceeded to 158. I re downloaded my 'lose it's app, I entered my info and my goal weight it told me how many calories I needed to take in a day and I did it and lost the weight back to my goal. Your body will want to even itself out and that might be where the gain is. If you continue to gain I would check your calorie intake, make sure your getting all your water everyday.
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Thank you!
    It is not so much the fact that I am gaining, but the speed with which that happens, I guess...
    All too familiar.
    I still track and weigh my food, I hover around 1300 cals per day.
    But if the regain keeps happening with this pace, I will lower my barb intake, although I don't eat that many.
    And they are not the simple carbs (don't eat those at all) but the complex ones.