Wenting Chaio, MD
    Last Activity
    06-08-2021 08:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Excited/Grateful/Scared

Hi,
    (Surgery postponed until July 30, 2019) My surgery is scheduled for June 11, 2019. I have spent the last 2-3 years researching and thinking about having the sleeve surgery. My pro column just kept growing so I am finally moving forward. If I had found this website sooner I might have already had the surgery. It has been most beneficial and has answered many questions.

Mostly I feel excited and grateful but I also feel scared. Knowing that my lifestyle has to be different and actually making it different are not the same. Little things are freaking me out. Ex: I heard you have to take pills 45 minutes apart and I take 6 pills every morning. I’m concerned that the 2-week pre-surgery diet will be an issue. I have stairs in my house and I live alone - just thinking about the first week post surgery, Do I need assistance then? Enough for now. I think I’ll go and review my Pro vs Con list!

Thank to all of you that post. Each one has had value and I think it will become my lifeline. And in the future I hope I can help others as you are helping me.

Carol P.

2. The following 15 users said welcome Carol P to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Excited/Grateful/Scared

Welcome Carol. Just breathe. It will all work out. As for having stairs, I am sure you would be ok but just as a precaution could you sleep on the couch maybe the first week? Or maybe stay with someone? I live in a one story so I did not have to deal with that. But....it was not like things were unbearable so probably I would have been fine. Overall recovery was pretty easy but you do sleep a lot that first week. Cat naps really. I have never heard of taking pills 45 minutes apart. What meds are you taking? A lot of meds get stopped right after surgery or soon after. Most surgeons will have you crush your pill or use a pill cutter. I did not crush my BP meds bc they made me gag when I did. Your surgeon will also let you know if you need to stop any of your meds and also if the meds can be taken after surgery. Just make sure your surgeon knows everything you are taking so they can help you make a plan. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

O Carol, there are lots of people who have no clue what they are talking about, but they do it anyway...
    Don't listen to people who don't know shit, pardon my French...

You will do great!
    Keep your eyes on the big picture.
    Think about how you will feel and look a year from now.
    There might be hurdles, of course, but you know what?
    We all took them, you will cross that bridge when you come to it.

It is normal for a lot of people to get cold feet, once they are really close to their surgery.
    Personally, I couldn't wait, I was super excited.
    I still am btw.
    I love my sleeve and I love my sleeved life.
    I love looking like a regular person.
    I love feeling healthy and fit.
    I love to be able to climb stairs and hills without getting out of breath after the first steps.
    I love having no more diabetes.
    I can go on for ever...

Go for it girl!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

7. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Yep, stop overthinking this, it will all work out. I have never heard the pills every 45 minute rule. My only rule is to not take my calcium at the same time as my multi-vitamin. Can't even remember why.

1st week after surgery could you sleep on the main level of your house if you are concerned about stairs? I slept in my recliner that first week as my bed was too high to climb into. But I personally don't think stairs would be a problem, unless they are a problem now.

As far as the lifestyle change, no worries. You will begin practicing it from day one, and it will eventually become a habit. I NEVER ate protein, just carbs, when I was fat. Now I love protein. Once you are a regular sized person, it is so exciting that you are happy to continue your new lifestyle.

I promise you will be thrilled!!

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I was told 1 pill every 10 minutes by my surgeon. I cheat and do the tiny ones 2 or 3 at a time and then wait the 10 min. I’ve never had a problem.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Carol, I feel just like you did. I'm so happy to have the surgery done finally. I understand all the fears and worries, this is a big commitment for sure. But having the advantage of thinking about it over a period of time and being honest enough to admit that I wasn't going to be able to lose the weight and keep it off on my own, helps me every day. I am currently in a 3 story condo and I have been able to manage the stairs with no problem. Slow and steady and I do go out and walk a few times a day. I think keeping mobile is so important, but also resting and sleeping when you can has helped me as well.

You'll do fine and if like me, you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. LOL

Best of luck to you.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Carol

I'm glad that you are excited - you should be, this is going to be life changing in such a positive way.

Not sure where the 45 minute pill taking thing comes from. Apart from any prescription medicine that you have to take it's really only multivitamins that you will need to concentrate on. I take 2 a day with my protein shake in the morning and that is all :-)
    You may find that you don't require quite so many of your prescription meds after surgery which can only be a good thing!

The pre surgery diet is probably the hardest part (and it really isn't that bad). Just remember it is only for 2 weeks and is going to help make your surgery more successful. You NEED to do this. There are no ifs, buts, or maybes. It has to be done and you CAN do it.

I didn't have to negotiate stairs but I think I probably could have. Take them slowly and if you don't feel confident maybe get yourself sorted with a bed/recliner downstairs before you leave for your surgery. Do you have a friend/family member that could stay with you (or you could stay with them) for a couple of days until you know how you are feeling?

Continue to be excited....it really is a fabulous thing that you are doing.

All the best
    x

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey, Carol -- welcome!

I also never heard anything about waiting between pills. That's a new one for me.

I'm almost five years out. Lost 100 pounds. My health and my future health prospects are incredibly more positive than they were five years ago.

Everybody finds their own way, but there are some principles that many people follow who are successful long-term (and that's certainly your goal, right?):

1. Be courageous in addressing the demons that got you fat and kept you fat. (You can read my first three surgiversary posts at the links below in my sig block to see what worked for me. Your challenges and solutions may be different than mine. You'll have to figure that out for yourself.

2. Do not assume that VSG surgery ALONE is what you need to become healthy and stay healthy, although it certainly is a huge advantage. Long-term success is the sum of (1) really COMMITTING to being successful long-term, (2) using the fast weight loss period (typically 12-18 months post-op) not just to lose weight, but to create a very different lifestyle and new habits for yourself and being "unreasonable" about sticking to those, (3) putting your own needs first, before those of all others, probably for the first time in your life, and (4) finding any other resources you might need to change your lifestyle, e.g., a therapist, coaches of various kinds, online support groups, etc., to be successful daily, weekly, monthly, and forever.

This message board has a lot of people who have lost all their excess weight and kept it off. That's not to say we don't sometimes "fall off the wagon" -- even intentionally, during celebratory events, vacations, during times of life's stresses, etc. But everyone who maintains after losing their weight learns (however they learn it) to climb back up on the horse every time they fall off. I call this "new beginnings." Because basically, that's what every day offers us ... a new beginning to live the life we were meant to live all along. Nobody is perfect. But those who succeed never quit working toward their goals.

And yes, everyone who has VSG surgery and everyone who is able to maintain their health post-op had the very same fears and concerns and doubts you're feeling right now.

In other words, you wound like a perfect candidate to have WLS surgery and change your life forever.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Such great advice here! I hope Carol P got to read these replies. Looks like she only posted the one time. You guys are great!

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/30/2019
    Surgeon
    Wenting Chaio, MD
    Last Activity
    06-08-2021 08:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I want to thank everyone for your support and excellent comments. I hated that I had to change the surgery date but my 93 year old father wants to travel and I can’t let him go alone. So off to Amsterdam to help him fulfill his bucket list. I look at this website almost every day and its the best support I could imagine.
    Carol P

22. Said thanks: