Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member DisneyFan's Avatar
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 10:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default The two week pre-op diet and having a lower BMI already

Got a quick question. I have read/heard that if you have a low BMI for the Gastric Sleeve surgery, such as I do, (31 BMI) the pre-op diet can be changed drastically or just cut down from two weeks to a couple of days. Is this true? With my BMI of 31 and going on a two week liquid diet I imagine that my BMI would drop below 30. Any advice?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The two week pre-op diet and having a lower BMI already

I have heard people with higher BMI's having no pre op at all. It is all going to depend on what your surgeon thinks is best. What has your surgeon said? I would think with a 31 BMI there would be no need for a 2 week liquid diet. I only had 6 days of 2 shakes, a healthy meal, & unlimited sugar free jello & popsicles followed by 3 days of a liquid diet and I had a BMI of 41.8. When in doubt, ask your surgeon. Also, would they still do the surgery if your BMI got under 30? I know for me and with my insurance I had to be at or above 40 to get approved but the pre op did not count against me as I was already approved. You are at a considerably lower BMI, though, so I do not know what that cut off is for surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

This is a question for your surgeon as all protocol is different depending on your program's guidelines.

Gastric Sleeve Member DisneyFan's Avatar
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 10:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I have heard people with higher BMI's having no pre op at all. It is all going to depend on what your surgeon thinks is best. What has your surgeon said? I would think with a 31 BMI there would be no need for a 2 week liquid diet. I only had 6 days of 2 shakes, a healthy meal, & unlimited sugar free jello & popsicles followed by 3 days of a liquid diet and I had a BMI of 41.8. When in doubt, ask your surgeon. Also, would they still do the surgery if your BMI got under 30? I know for me and with my insurance I had to be at or above 40 to get approved but the pre op did not count against me as I was already approved. You are at a considerably lower BMI, though, so I do not know what that cut off is for surgery.
    Oh, my insurance won't cover it. I will have to head to Mexico. I looked up one group and it said with a BMI of 30-32 it would be two days of the liquid diet.