Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member DisneyFan's Avatar
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 10:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Low BMI, anyone else out there? Done it, advice, tips, ect?

So I am seriously considering doing a gastric sleeve in Mexico maybe in June or July, maybe. I have a BMI of 31, so I know some surgeons won't accept me but some might, right? I know that I most likely not need to lose any weight before hand, right? Anyway, any other low BMI's out there that have done this?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Low BMI, anyone else out there? Done it, advice, tips, ect?

I don't think any in the US would accept you, but probably in Mexico. How much weight do you have to lose? Weight Watchers would be a whole lot cheaper if you don't have that much to lose.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

You can’t possibly have that much weight to loose with a BMI of 31. The Sleeve is just a tool no manic pill. You have to eat right and exercise. You won’t loose fast either with that low of BMI. You can loose it following a Sleeve diet of dense lean protein first then veggies. Premier protein shakes are good for a meal replacement or snack after exercise. I went to Mexico and I have suffered terribly. I was not a good candidate because of having a Nissan F. Wrap. Dr cut it in half and left it. I ended up with another Hiatal hernia dragged my stomach into my chest. It caused AFib and then a stroke, severe acid reflux, vomiting. I almost died from complications from a revision I had in the states. I have a GTube for nutrition, I live with Nausea and vomiting daily. Fortunately my insurance covered. WLS is not a covered benefit and it all started in Mexico. They lied and said I was a good candidate. I’m sure there are doctors in Mexico happy to take your money. Is it worth possibly loosing your life? You can loose this on your on. Meet with a Nutritionist if your having trouble. You don’t need a gym membership to loose weight. Go out your front door and start walking. Find hills to walk up too. Join a hiking group through Meetup online. Good luck and wish you well. [ATTACH=CONFIG]282527BCCD27A-87CC-413F-80DD-64247F610761.jpeg[/ATTACH]2174B5A0-C19E-48F6-8B41-F619D363B8EE.jpeg3F14626A-80F3-423F-975D-D4E9718ED8A3.jpeg
    Attached Images
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

This is not cosmetic surgery.
    This is a major surgery, where 80% of your stomach is amputated, taken out, never growing back, ever.
    Your life would never be the same again.
    You will have to follow a strict regime of eating the right things, never eat and drink at the same meal, take supplements for the rest of your life, drink at least 2 liters every day, and exercise.
    If you don't, you will not loose or if you do, you will regain.

What co-morbidities do you have?
    High blood pressure, heart failure in your family, diabetes, sleep apneu?
    These are all potential life threatening things that are necessary (yes, necessary) for insurance and surgeons to perform the operation with a BMI between 35 and 40.
    There is a reason for that.

If you don't have the commitment, don't do it.
    Just don't.
    This is serious stuff.

This surgery is NOT the easy way out.
    This surgery is the last thing you do.
    Some of us have struggled for years, decades even.
    Some of us have serious medical issues, before and after the sleeve.

So, why do you consider having this operation?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree -- the VSG is a major life change, besides a surgery. I can eat between 6-8 oz at the most at a meal (3/4 - 1 C). That's not a lot of food, so every bite needs to be a healthy choice. My BMI was not incredibly high by the time I had surgery, but I also had high blood pressure, diabetes, fatty liver infiltration, a failed triple bypass, 3 strokes, and apnea. I was on 17 medications a day for angina that was unable to be relieved. So despite the BMI being lower than some, I was in very bad shape at 65.

I had the surgeries, but the self pay in the US was extremely high for people on a fixed income. It was not an easy decision. I am grateful to the tool the surgery and sleeve has been, and to the support of the folks on this site, without whom I would have floundered at some point.

It is still hard, even at maintenance. It requires (enforces) a discipline that the cost is worth, but if you are not 100% to make ALL the changes, its not a good thing to pursue.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Well I do have high blood pressure, and I grant you I have type 2 diabetes, just not a formal diagnosis yet. My health is bad and getting worse. Ya, I will have to go to Mexico for a sleeve.

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    You can’t possibly have that much weight to loose with a BMI of 31. The Sleeve is just a tool no manic pill. You have to eat right and exercise. You won’t loose fast either with that low of BMI. You can loose it following a Sleeve diet of dense lean protein first then veggies. Premier protein shakes are good for a meal replacement or snack after exercise. I went to Mexico and I have suffered terribly. I was not a good candidate because of having a Nissan F. Wrap. Dr cut it in half and left it. I ended up with another Hiatal hernia dragged my stomach into my chest. It caused AFib and then a stroke, severe acid reflux, vomiting. I almost died from complications from a revision I had in the states. I have a GTube for nutrition, I live with Nausea and vomiting daily. Fortunately my insurance covered. WLS is not a covered benefit and it all started in Mexico. They lied and said I was a good candidate. I’m sure there are doctors in Mexico happy to take your money. Is it worth possibly loosing your life? You can loose this on your on. Meet with a Nutritionist if your having trouble. You don’t need a gym membership to loose weight. Go out your front door and start walking. Find hills to walk up too. Join a hiking group through Meetup online. Good luck and wish you well. [ATTACH=CONFIG]282527BCCD27A-87CC-413F-80DD-64247F610761.jpeg[/ATTACH]2174B5A0-C19E-48F6-8B41-F619D363B8EE.jpeg3F14626A-80F3-423F-975D-D4E9718ED8A3.jpeg
    What is the Nissan F. Wrap?

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Generally in the US they will only approve BMI of 35+ if you have 2 comorbidities. I don't think anywhere in the US does under 35 BMI unless there was a life threatening reason to require it. Good luck on your journey.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just want to jump in here with my story.
    My BMI was 31 at surgery too. I had lost 37 ish kilos beforehand over a few years so at one time my BMI was higher.
    I went to my surgeon (in Australia) self pay and he did it as his thoughts are that there is often a possibility of getting diabetes, heat disease etc later anyway even if your BMI is lowish in terms of weight loss surgery.
    He did say that I would potentially become underweight and told me all the risks of surgery. I quite understood all of that as I am a nurse myself and my partner is a doctor. My partners opinion was 'lets have a serous chat' we did - and then she supported me all the way.
    I was unable to lose more weight despite running 50km a week and doing 3 crossfit sessions a week. I was super fit, I ate clean anyway and I researched for about a year.I didn't take it lightly but I absolutely know I made the right decision.
    I had a few psychology sessions beforehand and I was never an emotional eater. In fact I was probably more a food snob. I am perfectly happy with tiny plates of artistic food.
    I think it may be more difficult for people who are emotional eaters, one has to then find other ways to cope with challenges. I was just born hungry! And possibly all my sport made me ravenous!
    My surgery was in November 2017. I was down to about 55-56kilos in 7 months and that's where I sit. Sometimes I lose a couple more kilos and then have to work hard on eating frequently (All the good things, I practically never eat crap, its never been my thing).
    Things to keep in mind...
    You will have to take vitamins for the rest of your life.
    You will do far better if you exercise and are strong and healthy.
    Its worth chasing to a psychologist to make sure your head is all sorted on it.
    Its a big operation and takes a while to recover from.
    You will have to change the way you cook and eat and organise your day. You will get annoyed by the at first.
    You'll work it out.

In terms of Mexico. I'm sure some people have done fine there but it is useful to have a local surgeon in case of any issues. I know that opinions are changing in the obesity field and that it is now recognised that if someone has a predisposition to obesity that it is not a bad thing to sleeve them at a BMI of 31 because you may save them some health issues later.

With all due respect to people answering here on the forum( and I love yous all!!!): I think we have to be very mindful not to discourage people. I absolutely agree that if someone has a BMI below 30 and maybe could make some lifestyle changes a sleeve is not always an option. We must be sensible about such things. But it is a complex area and someone with a BMI of 31 may be an excellent candidate too (as obesity experts are now recognising). There can be as many challenges for people with a BMI of 31 as for someone with a BMI of 50. I think just because someone is thinking about it doesn't mean it's a flippant decision.

Disney - I would really recommend you going to chat with an obesity expert in your area and seeing their opinion is on this. Please don't be discouraged. Maybe take a look at changes you can make yourself anyway. Chat to lots of people so you can make an informed decision.

Also - Do come back to the forum to ask questions and get support. I have had no end of support here EVEN though my BMI was 31 ;-)
    I wish you all the very best :-)

Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    I could stand to lose 50-60 lbs. 1 weigh 192, I need to weigh 130-140.