Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Workout help

So I am 6 months out of surgery. I have lost 84 pounds. I have decided to start working out regularly. I went to the gym today and nearly blacked out multiple times. I had plenty or water. Prior to I had a protein bar and string cheese. I talked to a friend that is two years out and she said she can’t do cardio and can only do light weight training after having a protein shake or she gets dizzy.. Has anyone experienced this? I am trying to figure something out so I can workout without getting dizzy. I don’t want to eat trash. Maybe more carbs? Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Workout help

That happens to me rarely, maybe twice a year where I start breaking out into a cold sweat and feel like I'm trying to walk through water while hiking. It didn't start for a few years after surgery, so I was very used to exercising. My nutritionist said it has something to do with blood sugar, to be sure to have a carb and protein snack before working out.

But if you're new to exercise it may be something different. Are you eating enough? Reaching your liquid and protein goals? Maybe start with something a little easier, like walking, would help. Start short distances and try to build up. But if you get dizzy, stop. And congrats on 84 pounds!!

If that doesn't help, I'd call your doctor. Good luck!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I can’t explain it ?.. I feel the same at times. I have asked and been told blood sugars, or blood pressure. All I can do right now is walk. I go back to the doctor on the 30th and hope I’m told then I can go to the gym. My wife views the gym like some wives view a bar. I’m obsessive no matter what I do. I use to be In the gym at least once a day if not twice. But after a couple surgeries (knee and shoulder) I basically quit. I had a rough spot in my marriage and during that time .. I quit basically everything.

I think 84 lbs is more than amazing especially if you hadn’t been working out.. Start by walking, just start moving (intentionally). I have been building my stamina and it’s getting better ... not fast as I want but better.

Find what works it may not be the gym just yet ?.. but if you really ready to commit go to gym intentionally as you do with what You eat... Like the protein and water ... GET THE GYM IN everyday too.

I’m no expert by any means... BUT THIS WHOLE JOURNEY IS MENTAL .. sure it’s what u eat, or how you work the program.. BUT it’s all MENTAL !!.. it’s all about our ATTITUDES!!.... if you stay positive it works (easier said than done? RIGHT).. seriously 84 lbs u doing something right.. if you have made your mind up it’s time for another STEP !!... embrace working out.. Walking or whatever.. just remember one thing I know.. IVE SEEN. You go to the gym for YOU !! Don’t give a rip what everyone else is doing. Don’t get discouraged.. GO !!.. make a routine and GO !! Own your decision!! And you will succeed.. be strong, I decided if I pass out somebody will pick me up. Press on !!.. but you know how you feel, I had to go see my PCP.. because I just couldn’t sustain my wants .. (physically) mentally I could physically I still can’t but I WILL !!.. and U can TOO !!

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

Thank you! I would imagine blood pressure/blood sugar too. I’m gonna try switching up what I eat before. Lucky for me I have a teenage athlete that wants to go to the gym every day. I used to go to the gym. I just guess I’m going to have to get used to not doing my old workout. It’s probably too much.

Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times

I think it might be blood sugar too. I’m gonna try to eat different stuff before the gym and see how that goes. Thanks for your reply!

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I would focus on strength training. That will help you tone everything up and shouldn't make you dizzy. Are you off all your pre op medications such as bp meds? I know some people aren't told to stop and get sick because their blood pressure is getting too low. I used to get shaky sometimes and that was usually because I needed to eat. But if you are having something before that then that is probably not it. I would think that maybe what you are doing is too strenuous for the amount of calories you are consuming. Try doing strength training instead of cardio. It is great to tone and as you build muscles you burn more calories even when your body is at rest.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Thanks for bringing this up Meghan. I had questions about how soon I could get back to high intensity cardio. From what I've been reading and seeing some of the posts here, maybe I'll stick with walking and add in strength training as I am able for awhile.

Hope you find a solution that helps you get back to what you like to do.