Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Refined sugar/ artificial sweeteners/ natural sugars, what to use?

We all know that the refined sugars are not good for us.
    However... at least we know what exactly is in them.
    Artificial sweeteners are more highly processed that refined sugars...
    And most of the time we don't know what is in them exactly.
    And there are the natural sugars, like honey, maple syrup, agave syrup.

I like my morning coffee a bit sweet.
    I use artificial sweeteners.
    I also put them in my yoghurt with oats, my breakfast.
    And I use water enhancers, because I still can't drink water, but there are also artificial sweeteners in that.

The body reacts to all these forms of sweets in the same way, it does not make the distinction between artificial, processed or natural.
    It will store the "sugars" as fat.

So here is my question: what is best to use?
    And is the refined granulated sugar worse than the artificial ones?
    Or is that just good, clever marketing, like with the margarine vs real butter discussion a couple of years ago?
    And what about the natural sugars?

I only drink one coffee during the day and I want that to be a little sweet.
    Likewise with my yoghurt.
    That is all the sweets I use per day, no cookies, candy or whatever.
    My water enhancer is just a small amount.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Why not eat the refined sugar, if that small amount is all I use and the body does not know the difference?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Refined sugar/ artificial sweeteners/ natural sugars, what to use?

It's complicated isn't it?!
    I have always been a fan of natural over processed. I use butter and not margarine etc, but I am guilty of heading towards the artificial sweetener since surgery. I use a water enhancer too and have some "sugar free" syrups that I put into my oats. I don't sweeten tea and I don't drink coffee so not an issue there.
    What about using the natural sweeteners - honey etc?
    Maybe you are right, for the small amount used perhaps refined over artificial might be ok.
    I'm sure someone will come along with some thoughts.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I hope so Lisa.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I am strongly thinking about tossing all of that artificial crap.
    Maybe a will keep my water enhancers, or maybe I can buy some organic fruit juice and put just a tiny amount in my water.
    But I feel like all those artificial stuff is not good either.
    I could be dead wrong though.
    I also switched to real butter instead of margarine...

It's complicated.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I wish I knew the answer. I don't use either often, so I guess I won't worry.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I hope Sandra comes along.
    Her wisdom and knowledge is very needed here.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgeon
    Dr Villarreal
    Last Activity
    06-13-2019 01:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

stevia is made from a sweet plant...try it I like it...
    started my treadmill today that helps..

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

There is also a lot of highly processed junk out there, that is said to be Stevia.
    It is hard to tell the difference.
    And I am not really fond of the taste...
    I use it, but I don't really like it.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I also know that sugar is highly addictive.
    But now I start to wonder: what exactly triggers that addiction?
    Is it the endorfine in our brain, that is triggered by the sugar intake?
    I think, that is the same with artificial sugars.
    So, is sugar more addictive than sweeteners?

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

If I am adding it to my coffee I use Splenda (artificial sweetener). I do eat some things that have sugar in them. I try to limit it but I do have both sugar and sweeteners some times. I try to eat mostly healthy and I exercise and that helps keep it all in check. I would think small amounts of sugar are ok. The best foods are obviously natural, whole foods. The least processed the better. I do my best but I do eat processed foods. I just try to keep a tight control on my weight.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Why not eat the refined sugar, if that small amount is all I use and the body does not know the difference?
    My favorite sugar and the only one I use at home (and that's not often) is raw organic brown cane sugar.

My short answer about sugar and artificial sweeteners : if you want sweet, since all are going to involve an insulin response from your body, try to go natural, but also look at a nutriment point of view. Raw sugar does have some vitamins and minerals, refined sugar is empty.

On the same natural note, honey can also be a good option since you can find some great organic honey that will offer some benefice (like organic honey from lavender or thyme have healing properties) and the best honey, really expensive but so great is indeed the amazing manuka honey. That honey can heal people and is used in hospitals, it's that good!

People are today always talking about glycemic index, and raw sugar and honey are much lower compare to white sugar. But between all the nut classes I took over the years, the point of view also changed, and today we talk more about ratio.

Anyway, on the natural note you also have agave,has low glycemic index (I used it a little to drink coffee too acidic at work last year, did help since acidic food is a no no for me). Some people use stevia or monk fruit powder, I tried those before the sleeve, don't like the taste. The good thing about those, it's natural but also has a glycemic index around zero.

But we are here in the same artificial sweetener insulin issue. Because the taste of sweet will trigger insulin anyway. Whatever the sweetener.

My personal and weird experience about artificial sweetener : when I was like 9 years old my parents did put me on really strict diets, and I had no access to any type of sugar, but instead everything was coated in saccharin. It was the 70s and my parents had no clue about nutrition, they just followed the flow. I never lost weight with their crazy diets, was starving (indeed since I was drowning under insulin!), and that fake sugar that was first created to help when Europe was under sugar shortage after the war, had been proven to give cancer.
    No wonder after all the bad food I had when growing up,that my health is so messed up today.

And years later, if by accident I drink something with artificial sweetener, I can get like really sick with allergic reactions...so I avoid it like the plague.

I was loosing weight when using organic agave at work in my coffee, and it never made me hungry.

When I had cake two weeks ago and felt sick (acute joint pain) the next day, it was an expensive "designer cake" made with white sugar by "professionals".

I baked a (100% organic) banana cake for my kid one month ago, had a little piece to try it, I used organic unrefined cane sugar and the next day I was fine.

I think today questioning our sugar intake is completely understandable because we get so many conflicting infos from everywhere, but at the end of the day, it's only two teaspoons per day for you so it's really not much, my advice would be to go natural with something you like, and feel good about it!

PS : I also understand that drinking only water can be tricky after the sleeve, and home made flavored water with cucumber or organic berries is a good option. I would use lime or lemon if my stomach was not in trouble.
    When I drink herbal tea, I sometimes use one teaspoon of honey for 1/2 liter so I can drink more of it if the taste is not that great..

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

No big answers here from me, but this ...

You said: "The body reacts to all these forms of sweets in the same way, it does not make the distinction between artificial, processed or natural.
    It will store the "sugars" as fat."

I've read that, heard that, seen that ... but I have absolutely no idea whether it is true or not. Or if it's true for some people and not for others. Or if it's partially true, depending on the volume of sugar and sugar-substitutes (and which substitutes) you're talking about.

For me, I KNOW that eating a lot of white sugar makes me want to eat a lot more white sugar. But putting Torani sugar-free French vanilla syrup in my coffee does NOT want me to eat a lot more Torani sugar-free French vanilla stuff; nor does it make me start craving white sugar.

So for me, I'm happy putting Torani sugar-free French vanilla syrup in my morning non-fat lattes.

As I often say, others' mileage may vary. But this is what my experience has been.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Sugar is the devil, but I need it in my coffee and a little in my oatmeal I'm afraid of the artificial sweetners. I've tried stevia (yuck); however, I am looking for ways to sweeten my coffee so I may try the Torani syrup that Ann2 has mentioned.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

I don't think we have that syrup where I live...
    I think I'll look for that organic raw cane sugar Sandra mentioned.
    But that will be the same problem, not easy to find.
    I have agave syrup, I use that in my brownies and other things.
    I don't like the taste of honey, but I found a relatively nice one from Crete here in Greece, where we are currently.
    It's still a puzzle...

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Luckily, I am not too much of a sweets person. For me, its all about the carbs! I could eat NOTHING but pasta, rice, potatoes and bread for the rest of my life (if I had NO concerns about weight or health, that is). In my opinion, natural is better than synthetic. I think honey, stevia, or agave are better options, in that order. I had a coworker who had a stevia plant and used to use the leaves (in some way) as a sugar substitute. Also, as stated earlier, manuka honey is incredible. It is frequently used in wound care because of its natural healing properties and antimicrobial/anti-inflammatory actions. Some even consider it a superfood. What other sweetener can boast that? Unfortunately, cost can be an issue and all manuka honeys are not created equal.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/...dicinal-uses#2

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/healt...ner/index.html

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318298.php

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    Sugar is the devil, but I need it in my coffee and a little in my oatmeal I'm afraid of the artificial sweetners. I've tried stevia (yuck); however, I am looking for ways to sweeten my coffee so I may try the Torani syrup that Ann2 has mentioned.
    The sugar free Torani syrup has sucralose (Splenda?) in it's ingredients. I learned that the hard way when the place where I used to pick up my coffee switched from the regular Hazelnut to the "sugar free" without notifying anyone...it took my immune system less than three minutes to start the firework...

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93