Surgeon
    Dr. Heider
    Last Activity
    10-07-2019 09:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Quick question

What was it like the first time y’all had solid food after vsg? I’m a week post op and not gonna lie I’m hungry. But atleast I have something to look forward to in the next three weeks! What was it like the first time y’all had solids after your surgery?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Quick question

Solid food was about a half a teaspoon of something (which I can't remember) and that was me done. It was an interesting path from liquids/purees/soft foods to solids. I really can't even remember how it all progressed now.
    I was lucky enough never to feel hungry after surgery and even now it's not so much hunger as starting to feel a little nauseous if I am late in getting a meal.
    Just take it easy. Eat really slowly. Chew each mouthful a lot. I was told to take 30 mins to eat a meal - and to use all of those 30 mins.
    Stop drinking 30 mins before you eat and don't drink for 30 mins after you have finished.
    You will soon know if you have eaten too quickly or too much.

All the best for this next stage :-)

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by katelyn890 View Post
    What was it like the first time y’all had solid food after vsg? I’m a week post op and not gonna lie I’m hungry. But atleast I have something to look forward to in the next three weeks! What was it like the first time y’all had solids after your surgery?
    I couldn’t eat more than a spoonful the first time I had solid food. I probably chewed for 10 minutes...LOL. I didn’t experience hunger or even head hunger. I set an alarm as per my nutritionist’s recommendations.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WANAGL View Post
    I couldn’t eat more than a spoonful the first time I had solid food. I probably chewed for 10 minutes...LOL. I didn’t experience hunger or even head hunger. I set an alarm as per my nutritionist’s recommendations.
    Wow! I can't imagine only being able to eat a spoonful of food. Right now, I can eat such huge portions - I hate it

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I was actually scared of what it was going to feel like. I was just excited to get to puddings and yougart. Now I’ve progressed to Turkey and chicken and vegetables. I was told I could eat basically anything I could crush with a fork.. like squash or anything soft cooked apples. I’ve tried all kinds of stuff .. to name a few salmon (grilled) egg salad.. tuna salad .. chicken salad.. string cheese wrapped deli turkey wrapped around it.

The thing is like others has said Two maybe Three bites I’m done.. it takes me forever to drink my protein shakes and my water daily. But the food I enjoy it’s just so crazy only a couple bites.. nobody believes when I say that’s it no more. The only thing that hasn’t agreed with me so far has been a spoonful of peanut butter. IT WAS GREAt .. but my stomach wasn’t happy after I ate it. It’s the only thing I’ve ate that about made me sick. I was told to try one new thing at a time so if it didn’t settle I’d know what wasn’t liked. It’s been fun yet frustrating all at the same time.

My family swears they don’t understand how I can say I’m full because I use to eat 2 helpings of everything including a couple biscuits. I haven’t craved or wanted anything. That was my concern I just knew I’d crave something ?? Mac & Cheese .. cookies ?? Something and I haven’t.

Russ

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    Wow! I can't imagine only being able to eat a spoonful of food. Right now, I can eat such huge portions - I hate it
    Once you have your surgery, you won't be able to imagine finishing a whole egg, probably for a couple months. Lol

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Truss View Post
    I was actually scared of what it was going to feel like. I was just excited to get to puddings and yougart. Now I’ve progressed to Turkey and chicken and vegetables. I was told I could eat basically anything I could crush with a fork.. like squash or anything soft cooked apples. I’ve tried all kinds of stuff .. to name a few salmon (grilled) egg salad.. tuna salad .. chicken salad.. string cheese wrapped deli turkey wrapped around it.

The thing is like others has said Two maybe Three bites I’m done.. it takes me forever to drink my protein shakes and my water daily. But the food I enjoy it’s just so crazy only a couple bites.. nobody believes when I say that’s it no more. The only thing that hasn’t agreed with me so far has been a spoonful of peanut butter. IT WAS GREAt .. but my stomach wasn’t happy after I ate it. It’s the only thing I’ve ate that about made me sick. I was told to try one new thing at a time so if it didn’t settle I’d know what wasn’t liked. It’s been fun yet frustrating all at the same time.

My family swears they don’t understand how I can say I’m full because I use to eat 2 helpings of everything including a couple biscuits. I haven’t craved or wanted anything. That was my concern I just knew I’d crave something ?? Mac & Cheese .. cookies ?? Something and I haven’t.

Russ
    You are doing so good! I was still having problems with puddings at this stage. I don't crave foods either. I do think "oh that sounds good" until I eat it. Food doesn't taste the same anymore. I eat to survive now. Lol

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times

Quote Originally Posted by katelyn890 View Post
    I had to eat pureed foods or soft foods for awhile. My stomach wasn't happy with solids. I can handle them now but I still can't eat much. I've met people that can eat twice as much as I can that are a couple months behind me. Your first solid will probably only be one bite so make it the best tasting bite ever. Lol

17. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I was never hungry at first. My first solid food was mushy food, so it went down pretty well with tiny bites. Now my first real food like chicken was another story, one tiny bite and felt like dying!! Just take it REALLY slow early on. Chew, chew. Now, sorry to say, I can eat a whole chicken breast, no problem.

It doesn't take me forever to eat or drink anything anymore. I eat like a normal person. But when I'm full, I'm full and stop. I still get full to the point of not imagining another bite. That's the best thing about the sleeve, after 5 years!

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    It IS hard to imagine! Even now I’m done at three bites...and I’m OK with that. It became my new normal. It became a lifestyle change.

Pre-surgery I began to “practice” for post-surgery by chewing longer, waiting between bites, etc. It wasn’t easy to change habits. I’m fortunate to have a supportive husband who helped me to help myself.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh you have to pace yourself and let your body feel the full signal. If you eat too much or too fast you will feel ill. So you learn fairly quickly to slow down and allow your tummy to process and send you that signal. I had my share of episodes when I overate or ate too fast and it was not pleasant. You can even throw up. But it is so satisfying to get full easy. And with some practice and patience you learn and it all becomes a habit. It is a while before food tastes really good again. In the beginning it is more about eating to live. I am almost 2 1/2 years post op and things are much more "normal" now but I still don't eat a ton but definitely more than the early days.