Surgeon
    Don't know yet. Going through ARH Bariatrics
    Last Activity
    05-13-2019 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Considering Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hi my name is Angie. I am 44 years old and am severely overweight. I have diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure among other things. I am considering having the gastric sleeve surgery because I have tried tons of different weight loss plans and none of them helped me. I don't have a surgery date or a surgeon yet because I am going through my local hospital's bariatric center and they require you to participate in a seminar. The next open date for me to participate is July 18. I have already started my 6 months of weigh-ins so that my insurance will cover the surgery.

I joined this forum so I can learn what to expect before, during, and after the surgery. Thank you so much for letting me join.

2. The following 18 users said welcome littlebear1841 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Considering Gastric Sleeve Surgery

You'll love the sleeve, and you'll love all the information you gain from this site. Welcome! MOST people here get off their diabetic meds and sleep apnea machines. Maybe blood pressure too. You will get a whole lot healthier! Not to mention smaller! Best of luck to you.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I was also very obese (BMI +50), had my surgery at 44, after trying everything under the sun, diets for years that only made me frustrated.
    The sleeve was the best help ever!!

Since you have some time before surgery, I would recommend to lose as much as possible to help shrink your lever (I do have NAFLD, was there even before I became obese) since it's important to arrive the day of surgery with a liver "clean of fat" to avoid any damage during surgery. The surgeon will lift it to access the stomach and you want to avoid the liver to brittle. That goal made me stronger to face my lower carb diet.

Going slow with reducing sugar first, and carbs, increasing protein and veggies. Nothing too drastic but just starting with lots of veggies will help in the process.
    Starting also slow on exercise, a little walking program can do wonder! A little each day will add up, and after a few months you will be stronger and your lungs will thank you too!!

Take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member littlebear1841's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Angie
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thank you both for responding and for the great tips. I'll be honest my liver worries me. I have fatty liver so hopefully if I can start eating better that can be resolved before surgery. Right now when I bend over I can feel my liver pressing into my side.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear1841 View Post
    Thank you both for responding and for the great tips. I'll be honest my liver worries me. I have fatty liver so hopefully if I can start eating better that can be resolved before surgery. Right now when I bend over I can feel my liver pressing into my side.
    You are not the only one with liver issues! most people do before surgery! and it did stress me out too, because my liver was already big way before my weight went out of control. It does run in my family on one side (and weird thing is they are all slim anyway) and obesity on the other side!

You will be tested before surgery so wait to see where the pain is coming from. Could be a strained muscle....

I did train to be a State (French) certified nutritionist (started before the sleeve) finished my theory but since I don't have six months available to do an unpaid internship, plus I was not planning to switch job any time soon, I study on the side to take better care of my health and my family's . So last year I did switch to naturopathy, it won't require such a long clinical time and I was able to transfer my credits, so I will be able to finish probably this year.

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions. I will be happy to help!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Angie, you will love having the sleeve as a tool for improving your lifestyle and health. I also had the co-morbidities that you have, and they have been resolved after surgery and now at the ripe young age of 69, I've never felt better. Those medical conditions can really take a toll on your life and bariatric surgery so improves, if not resolves, so many of them.

I work in a large hospital and our bariatric surgery department has done over 4,000 surgeries since we've started and I would say that's just a small number of people who would benefit from the surgery. It's not an "easy fix" but it's so worth the work, time and diligence you put into it forever. It's a journey, but a great one. Don't look back, keep moving forward with your plans and educate yourself pre-op so you're as prepared as can be when the wonderful time comes for the changes Continued success!!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Welcome!

I had many of the co-morbidities you’ve described. I’ve been relieved of all of them since my surgery.

At 67 years young I feel better than I have in years!

Best of luck as you embark on this amazing journey!

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Angie, I have many of the same co-morbidities that you have - plus a lot of aches and pains. I am planning on having the surgery in late June. Like most obese people, I have a "fatty liver" that I have to slim down before surgery. If you watch a youtube video on the gastric sleeve procedure, you'll see why its so important to shrink the liver. Welcome to the forum! This is a great place for information.

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Angie
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and information. I plan to work on my weight before surgery so that, with any luck, there won't be a reason that they can't do it. The biggest issue I have is with sodas (sugar-free) and sugar (even as a diabetic I struggle with this).

I have been really researching the procedure and what to expect. I want to be as informed as possible. I also want my son to see that you can lose weight, even if you do need different tools to help you. He is 17 and at 6'2'' and 299 lbs. I worry about what role I've played in allowing him to become overweight.

Anyway thank you all for your help and I'll be lurking

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Angie! This is a great place for support and knowledge. I also went through insurance and it felt like such a long process but it was worth it in the end. I love my sleeve.

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear1841 View Post
    Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and information. I plan to work on my weight before surgery so that, with any luck, there won't be a reason that they can't do it. The biggest issue I have is with sodas (sugar-free) and sugar (even as a diabetic I struggle with this).

I have been really researching the procedure and what to expect. I want to be as informed as possible. I also want my son to see that you can lose weight, even if you do need different tools to help you. He is 17 and at 6'2'' and 299 lbs. I worry about what role I've played in allowing him to become overweight.

Anyway thank you all for your help and I'll be lurking
    I became obese with the first pregnancy, was obese for the two others.
    The kids always had a really healthy diet even if I was huge, because I knew that obesity is inherited, but there is multiple factors, environment, diet, medical condition etc are part of it.
    And kids born from an obese mother have a higher chance to be obese too..

Since we teach by example, I also tried to be always a good example, and my kids used to say "how can you be so big eating so well?" meds are responsible for most of it...at that time I didn't know and felt guilty. That didn't help. But eating well did.

My kids were not overweight. My older one got to college and the second year she gained like 40 pounds eating only carbs. She was always slim before..so sad..

My second one is also in college and she actually lost a little weight. She follows a good healthy diet, but "forgets" to eat. She was a size 0...I'm worried!

My third one is my copy, she has my big strong bones. She became a little "heavy" the first time she had antibiotics at 8. So since that we are careful...her weight is stable but I don't have sweets available in the house or she would eat it all.

Since you have diabetes, and drink soda, I'm guessing you are always starving. Even artificial sweetener will make you super hungry. And the meds to treat diabetes make you gain weight...it is hard.
    Going low carb would help you a lot, your son too. Also, if your cravings are too important, eat protein.

I would suggest to read the book Obesity code by Dr FUNG. He basicly describes how he was able to cure diabetes. Really interesting.

And I was reading this article this morning about the NHS
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nbbraw2OiO1w7E

Take care!

Name
    Angie
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Sandra3, I have heard of that book, but have not had a chance to read it yet. I'll take help from anywhere I can get it. My oldest daughter (27) just had the sleeve done in Mexico (she inspired me), my younger daughter (25) has hyperthyroidism and the only time she gains weight is when she is on the medication to treat that, but my son worries me the most simply because of his age and how large he has gotten over the last couple of years. I blame myself because had I eaten better, my son would have as well.

I won't, however, allow myself to let the guilt keep me down. It's time for me to put on my big girl panties and get serious about my weight problem. Hearing so many positive experiences helps a great deal. I know there are some who have had trouble, but overall it seems that the experience of have a sleeve has been positive.

Thank you all for the warm welcome

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Congratulations on your decision to have the surgery. I debated back/forth for a couple of years and will have mine in a couple of weeks. This is great a place to read, there's a ton of information from people just like us who have been through it all.

Best of luck to you.

22. Said thanks: