Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Totally Freaked Out! Need some feedback...

My boss (who is also my Primary Care Physician) got me so upset and freaked out about surgery. He was telling me that I am making a huge mistake and that I am seriously going to regret it. That I won’t feel well because I won’t ever be able to eat normally again. He says eating with others will always be awkward and unsatisfying because I won’t be able to eat more than 3 bites of food and I can’t drink with meals. He says that most of the patients he knows that have had Gastric Sleeve are very unhappy and regret doing it. He thinks lap band is a better option because it’s not permanent. I am so overwhelmed and confused. My head is spinning!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-09-2019 09:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Totally Freaked Out! Need some feedback...

Dear JessNP,
    I think your Primary Care physician has not done their homework (research) and even more scary, totally misinformed. Basically, the lapband has fallen drastically out of favor. Here are 2 links which show why: sorry, forum won't let me post links. But just google lapband.

One of the most problematic challenges with the lapband is the fill process. A lot of patients don't get this. They think you get one fill and are done with it. Not so, many times you must get multiple fills because it's very hard to gauge exactly how "full" the band must be to work. Also, in some cities, it can be difficult to get a fill. Many bariatric surgeons will not do it if they didn't do the initial surgery. Ultimately, the lapband just doesn't work because people get tired of dealing with the fill process. I had a lapband in Mexico and had a very hard time finding someone to do my fills. Then my stomach did the flip thing (wrapped around the band) and I had to have emergency surgery to remove the band. Two years later I had a gastric sleeve (again in Mexico at a center of excellence in Tijuana) and couldn't be happier. Eating out is not a problem. I order a box when I place my order and just put a bunch of food from my plate right into the box. Then I take my time about eating. I do drink, very small sips. If people commit on this or on my small portions, I just say casually I am more of a snacker than 3 big meals a day. If someone really presses me about my eating, I have found that staring them hard in the face and asking Why do you need to know? usually fixes the problem.

I wonder if your PC physician has a hidden agenda. Are they heavy and jealous? Do they think you will miss less time at the office by having the band surgery instead of the sleeve surgery? I only missed 10 days.

One thing to think about: If you are seriously morbidly obese, you might want to think about the roue-n-y. I think people keep the weight off more successfully than with the sleeve. You will probably gain a little bit (or a lot) of weight back with the sleeve because eventually your stomach will stretch a little. As opposed to the roue-n-y, which actually reroutes your intestine so you really reduces permanently your caloric intake. Just depends on how serious you are.

Go with your gut (haha) and get the sleeve or roue-n-y. If your PC really presses you on it, ask them why they care so much?

Good Luck!

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Sawyer - you make some excellent points! (Not sure why my original post is on the site twice). I don't think the lap band is for me either. Too many issues and complications. The Roux-en-Y is a more complex surgery and too expensive for me. I am self-pay and the Roux-en-Y is $18,000 vs. $10,500. I think the sleeve will work best for me. I am hoping to only miss 2 weeks of work, 10 days would be fantastic!

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Top tip: Don't have your PCP as your boss! Seriously though, it's not helpful is it. Maybe h means well but I understand you don't want to hear that. :-(

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    Top tip: Don't have your PCP as your boss! Seriously though, it's not helpful is it. Maybe h means well but I understand you don't want to hear that. :-(
    Yes, it is awkward at times. He was my boss first and everyone in the office sees him as their PCP. He "writes off" any services that my insurance doesn't cover, keeping my costs very low. But still, I agree with you - NOT helpful in the end!

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I am not a doctor but I am going to say that your boss is an idiot. I am so sorry to be an ass and say that but it seems like he has no clue about the sleeve. Most surgeons will not even do lap band anymore because of all the complications and issues with the lap band. I considered it and after much research decided to go with the sleeve. Second of all...I am 2 1/2 years post op and I love my life. I eat what I want but just in smaller amounts. I also have no issues having a very active social life. I go out to dinner with friends, cook and have friends over, go out and drink...I have a full and active social life. It just blows my mind how a lot of physicians are anti weight loss surgery. My primary care physician always tells me how proud of me he is and how great it was that I had the surgery and took back my health. I love having a supportive PCP.
    PS-I am sorry I called your boss names but really I think he is being negative and closed minded. I love my sleeve. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. No regrets!!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I am confused now.
    Are there two of the same topics?
    Because i am pretty sure I did respond...???

Well, I think your boss doctor needs to be re-educated.
    He does not know what he is talking about...
    And that is scary, to say the least.
    You decide what is best for you!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes, Dutchsleeve - somehow this got posted twice, not sure how that happened

Christie13 - My boss has a serious knowledge deficit in regards to obesity in general and weight loss surgery. I've decided to completely ignore his opinion and am planning to have the sleeve in late June - which feels SO far away! It feel like everyone I talk to about the surgery have NO IDEA what they're talking about and are totally clueless about the sleeve. That is why I am keeping my mouth shut and discussing it with no one (except my very supportive husband).

I feel like I have found the only voices of reason here on this forum. I come here multiple times a day and read everyone's stories and postings. It is so inspiring and motivating for me. Thank God for you guys - I probably would not be headed down this path otherwise!

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    Yes, Dutchsleeve - somehow this got posted twice, not sure how that happened

Christie13 - My boss has a serious knowledge deficit in regards to obesity in general and weight loss surgery. I've decided to completely ignore his opinion and am planning to have the sleeve in late June - which feels SO far away! It feel like everyone I talk to about the surgery have NO IDEA what they're talking about and are totally clueless about the sleeve. That is why I am keeping my mouth shut and discussing it with no one (except my very supportive husband).

I feel like I have found the only voices of reason here on this forum. I come here multiple times a day and read everyone's stories and postings. It is so inspiring and motivating for me. Thank God for you guys - I probably would not be headed down this path otherwise!
    Good luck Jess, I'm sure you will do great and Doc will eat his words :-) Come back often and join in the discussions :-)

18. Said thanks: