Surgeon
    Corvala
    Last Activity
    04-14-2019 11:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Finally set a date

After years of research and debate I have finally decided to get the sleeve. My date is set for May 15th and it is approaching fast. Any advice on what to expect? Things I should not do?

2. The following 8 users said welcome WVEDRN to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Finally set a date

Keep researching. This site is a great place to start! I used to enjoy watching Youtube videos with people shrinking before my eyes. Any questions, ask here everyone is happy to help.

My #1 advice is keep a positive attitude through the whole journey. It really helps!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by WVEDRN View Post
    After years of research and debate I have finally decided to get the sleeve. My date is set for May 15th and it is approaching fast. Any advice on what to expect? Things I should not do?
    Expect to embark on a new lifestyle journey! Here you’ll learn from others what worked/works for them and you’ll get unbelievable support.

I lurked and read everything I could find. YouTube is a great resource. My experience wasn’t exactly like anyone else’s and yet I learned so much from those who went before me.

Best of luck to you as you embark on this amazing journey.

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

What you should not do... don't back out. Don't let the bad stories keep you from having the surgery. Don't stock up on food/protein drinks before the surgery because they may taste different after the surgery.

Things you should expect... your first sip of liquid is going to feel weird going down but that feeling will ease up after some time. You will be tired for awhile and it is okay to sleep. In fact, your body needs it. You will be weak for a little while if you are the type of person that is somewhat active because you will be burning more calories than your body can take in. That feeling gets better in time. You should expect results and stalls on the scale that are okay! This surgery is a tool, not a miracle worker. I've seen people lose 13 lbs their first week and 3 the next, and they got depressed. The numbers might stop for a minute on the scale but your body will shrink quickly. Be patient, excited and use this forum as a tool for all of those emotions. That's what we are all here for. Many of the people on here have had their new lifestyle for years and they are so willing to share their experience and answer any questions you may have. Then there are ones who have had it more recently that can tell you what it has been like for them and the progress they've made. I am almost 6 months post op and I've lost 82 lbs and I went from a 20/22 pants size to 12/14. I researched for years myself before surgery but you learn new things once you've done it. Good luck to you!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Read as much as you can. Start making some small healthy changes now. Walk, eat slower, learn to take small sips all day long as opposed to gulping, try to not drink with your meals....all things that will help you when you are post op. One thing not to do...in my opinion...let yourself get too scared to go through with it. Good luck and welcome!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Be excited! This is going to be such a great thing that you do for yourself.
    As above read all you can - ask specific questions if you have any on here - someone will always answer :-)

Try to get into some good habits now. Start sipping on water - all the time but don't drink with your meals.
    If you don't already exercise start walking - little and often will help.

Don't buy too much of anything before your surgery - your tastes may change and you don't want to be stuck with a bulk lot of something that you no longer like.

The first week or so you will be tired. Just follow your surgeons instructions, sip water, walk as often as you can, sleep when you feel like it and remember that you have had major surgery, so be kind to yourself.

For a little later on as your clothes start to fall off you (such a great feeling), buy little amounts and cheaply. You will be surprised how fast you change sizes. My local charity shop did very well out of me for the first year or so and I shopped at Kmart and the like.

Stalls will happen - they just do. Your body is changing rapidly and sometimes it just needs to catch up with itself. Don't panic when it happens. Just keep to your plan and all will be good. If it starts to get to you have a family member hide the scales for a while. Take measurements and record them. Even if the scale isn't moving I bet the tape measure will be.

Take progress photos. It's amazing to look back on and see just how far you've come. You might not see it in the mirror but if you put the photos side by side you will be thrilled with the changes.

Keep one item of clothing to remind you how far you have come. Mine is a pair of jeans that were tight on me. Now I can just about fit my whole body into one leg :-)

Be positive. This is a great tool and you will be totally successful as long as you put the work into changing your life.

All the best. I can 100% guarantee that you will not regret your decision.