Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-11-2019 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 14 Day Check In

WOW - What a difference a week makes. At 7 days, I was down 14 pounds for a 2 lb per day average. Since then, the weight loss has come to all but a screeching halt.... I'm only down barley 4 pounds since day 7. Rounding out to 18 lbs overall since the surgery date. It's still a better rate than I was able to achieve pre-op, but I was hoping to get a larger drop up front. I hope it doesn't slow down much more than this.... I know it's a marathon and not a sprint, but with all the pain and discomfort, I was hoping for a better pay off. I am certainly NOT over-eating, and I am still in a deep ketosis state, so at least this is some vindication to my previous doctors and dietitians who claimed I was not compliant to their plans.

Pain is still a concern, but it is diminishing slowly. The Dr. did say it is unusual, but not impossible. I've always been pretty resilient to pain and bruising, but my incision areas are still pretty tender. I was able to finally sleep through the night the last 2 evenings without having to get up and walk or find another place to sleep in a different position.

Fatigue is another battle... I am back to work this week working from home. I'm still nearly exhausted after a day of work and I'm just sitting at a desk. I do try to get a few walks in during break times. Perhaps it will help now that I am sleeping better.

Looking forward to progressing to the baby-food stage. YAY! I'm about all of sick and tired or protein shakes and crystal light.

The best news of all is I have been having fun wearing some of my older clothes I have not fit into for a while. I am swimming in my 2XL shirts and starting to comfortably fit into my regular XL shirts. I've tried some pants and they are a touch better, but i'm still regulated to elastic waist bands until more of my abdominal pain goes away. I'm hoping the waist will start to go down more when the swelling and inflammation subsides.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Re: 14 Day Check In

mman

Wow !!... some similarities we have. Tomorrow will be one week post -op. I’ve not had pain as much as just being sore. I only took Tylenol for pain control the prescription medicine was way to much: I have only one major struggle right now. (Sleep) I get up after 5 hrs. No matter what time I go to bed. Then I get tired after being up a little while.

The only other thing that’s hard to maintain is my water intake. I feel like I’m drinking continuously. I have been allowed a little (food) than u described. I have been allowed yougart and a pooched egg. I think after tomorrow’s doctors visit I may be allowed even more.

I have been walking, and my family said I’m acting like a small child constantly wanting to go outside. I’ve not been sick and have had only one hiccup so far. The other day I took large gulps of water and had air trapped. I think the aftermath was a self correcting mistake.

I know it’s going to be a few weeks before I’m allowed to return to work so I’m just trying to stay busy to keep from being bored.
    My biggest known change post-op is my sense of smell. I have several times encountered smells that made me feel nauseous. That could
    Be a big issue as my wife loves candles. I’m doing okay, just got to continue to be patient.

My weight has been steadfast I’m down 9 lbs since surgery. 24 since starting pre-op.

The new allowance of new foods will serve you well I’m sure. I was so tired of just liquids.

Good Luck

Russ

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Don't eat the baby food, it is disgusting. Look for soft, mushy foods like cottage cheese, ff refried beans, soft boiled eggs, applesauce, yogurt, whatever. I made the mistake of buying baby food. Gross.

If you're working from home can you sneak a nap in over lunch? It is perfectly normal to be tired early on. You've been through a lot.

It sounds like you are on track for a great recovery. Best of luck to you!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-11-2019 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

The Baby-food comment was just a reference.... So far I made a super creamy egg salad. I'm looking forward to some refried beans later today.

Russ - Sounds like your diet is a little more liberal. I also had a hernia repair which is why I think my plan is more restrictive; although the dietitian eluded the Dr. is just pretty strict with the food progressions anyway.

I know what you mean about the water. I'm used to gulping down 8-16 oz of water in a single go. It's been difficult to stay hydrated and I'm wondering you I'm going to cope when the Dr. clears me for real exercise and that Texas heat settles in.

I was afraid of fighting boredom too, but to be honest, I was fine with catching up on Netflix and cat naps.

sraebaer - I snuck in a little cat-nap during lunch today. I'm sipping on an iced coffee now

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

You will be tired for a while. I went back to work after 2 weeks and as I have a desk bound job it was fine but when I got home I wasn't really good for much. Remember you have had major surgery and your body is still healing. Be kind to yourself. :-)

The water thing is REALLY important. You just have to make yourself keep sipping every waking moment. It's going to be better than ending up dehydrated and back in hospital.

Stalls will happen - at all stages of your journey. Your body is trying to catch up with what is going on. Stick to your surgeons eating plan and all will be well. Walk as much as you can and as often as you feel like you can. It will help with your recovery and is a good boredom buster ;-) I got to explore parts of my neighbourhood that I hadn't seen before.

The clothes part is the best!!! Wait until you start shopping for way smaller clothes than you are used to buying. On that note a good tip I was given was to shop sparingly and cheaply until I got to my goal. You will be surprised the number of sizes that you will drop. My local charity shop did very well out of my the first year.

You both sound like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by mman View Post
    The Baby-food comment was just a reference.... So far I made a super creamy egg salad. I'm looking forward to some refried beans later today.

Russ - Sounds like your diet is a little more liberal. I also had a hernia repair which is why I think my plan is more restrictive; although the dietitian eluded the Dr. is just pretty strict with the food progressions anyway.

I know what you mean about the water. I'm used to gulping down 8-16 oz of water in a single go. It's been difficult to stay hydrated and I'm wondering you I'm going to cope when the Dr. clears me for real exercise and that Texas heat settles in.

I was afraid of fighting boredom too, but to be honest, I was fine with catching up on Netflix and cat naps.

sraebaer - I snuck in a little cat-nap during lunch today. I'm sipping on an iced coffee now
    Glad to hear you snuck in a nap! And for me baby food wasn't just a reference, I actually bought some. Not a smart move.

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Just a warning about the coffee, the caffeine is not really good for your stomach.
    I was allowed to drink coffee at 3 months, I think.
    All the best to you!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I was told one cup a day was fine, and had that one cup a day from the start. Counted it toward my liquid. All doctors are different!

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I was told no caffeine for the first year. I miss my ice tea. At 10 days post-op, I’m still on the liquid diet with 1 tbsp of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt allowed each day. I can’t wait to progress my diet to soft, puréed foods!

Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Bellagirl..

That’s when you start to feel normal again !!!.... I can’t believe the difference I feel now. I was told I could have one treat, and from the list I had to choose from I chose a spoonful of creamy peanut butter. I absolutely loved it !! Day by day it’s getting better. Stay on task thing are fixing to be better for ya..

RUSS

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Coffee right from the start, after three months, after one year...
    Please ladies and gentlemen surgeons: find a consensus!
    We, your patients, will be sooo grateful!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.