Surgeon
    Dr. Jan
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 2 years post sleeve & starting to struggle

I am having a tough time. Going through a lot of really big life changes and it’s showing up on the scale. I have anxiety issues and big change dials up the anxiety to where I can’t sleep & generally feel anxious all the time. That’s where I’ve been for about 8 months. Food and alcohol have always been my downfall. I’ve been able to keep it in check until pretty recently and now I’m feeling like crap about my weight and myself. I’m up 12 pounds and I can see that I’m on a bad path. Having the freedom and feeling of being thin has been the best thing in the world for me. I can’t let this get away from me. I don’t know how to manage or process all of this. I could just use some support from people who understand. Thanks, Jill

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2 years post sleeve & starting to struggle

Hello Jilly,

Not sleeping, anxiety, will raise your cortisol level: that's the fast track for weight gain (it does the same thing my medication prednisone did, I took it from October to February, gained +20 pounds).

Also, when you reach 2 years, you can eat more, the stomach will stretch.It's completly normal, just the time to be more careful.

So here is what I would do if it was me:

- first, no big issue here, you will get back on the horse. That's just a question of being organized and positive. It's only 12 pounds, could have been worth!

- find the reason for not sleeping/anxiety and deal with that first. Plants can be a big help, I've been using plants, and also homeopathy for decades. It does help a lot on many issues.

- have a blood test to look for deficiencies. Some can start to show at 2 years. My anemia got much worth at that point (and anemia makes me crave sweets...my issue is chocolate). But a deficiency in D can also make you tired and eat more...

- look at your exercise. May be you were less active during Winter?

- tracking your food intake will give you a better idea of what's going on. Start today, just to have a better idea.
    But keep in mind that protein first, veggies, little carb is the only way. Lots of water 30 mns before or after a meal...vitamines every day...

There's lot's of things to do here, just write down your plan of action, it will help too!

Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Great you caught it at 12 pounds, not 20, 30 or more! Just get back on track to how you were originally taught to eat. Take your vitamins. Don't drink with meals. Cut out the junk. Exercise. You've got this!

I was struggling too and joined Weight Watchers to help me track. I get to go for free as I was a lifetime member back in the 90's. It works for me. You have to find what works for you. Many here use My Fitness Pal.

How about seeing a doctor/counselor/psychiatrist for your anxiety issues? It sounds like you need some extra support.

Good luck! It gets more difficult now that we can eat more, so I feel your pain.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    03/02/2018
    Surgeon
    Professor Bulbuller
    Last Activity
    03-05-2020 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 166 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times
    Blog Entries

I am sure you are ready to sort this out and I feel for you as that precious gift of being slim is clear how much it means to you.

All of the advice above and be positive that you are in control of this and that you are on it.

Protein is the best thing you can do right now and of your favourite kind.

How about some steak or chicken or Fish cooked simply and with some lovely things to make it special.

Look I don't know what you can or can't eat or what you enjoy but make it taste amazing so you feel special when you sit down to eat.

All the Best. I am Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Perhaps you need to deal with the foid addiction with a combo of counseling and Overeaters anonymous.
    I didn’t do that and I got addicted to marijuana after my surgery. I am now going to Alcoholics Anonymous and I’m going to be going to over eaters anonymous soon. It is easy to pick up emotional eating habits again. Good luck

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/02/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jan
    Last Activity
    04-17-2022 01:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there Jill. Focus on your protein and veggies. Try to ditch the carbs...breads and sugars. I know for me...the more carbs I eat the more I crave them. If my weight starts to go up a bit then the first thing I do is cut carbs.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Anxiety sucks. My partner has to deal with anxiety issues and I know that it is no fun at all. Medication has helped him a lot and after a failed attempt to come off the meds he now knows that he will be on them for life.

Maybe it would be an idea to try and tackle the anxiety first as trying to deal with anything else at the same time is really hard. If you can access some professional help it might make all the difference and then you will able to sort out those pesky few extra pounds. Have the life changes settled down yet or are they still ongoing? Perhaps once they are under control things will look up for you.

As the others have mentioned it really is a case of going back to the basics - you know what they are :-)
    Easier said than done if you are struggling in other areas.

I hope that you are feeling better soon.
    Kia Kaha (stay strong)

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Hi Jilly,
    Life does throw us a curveball every now and again doesn't it? The good news is that you are aware of the issues before they completely got out of hand. That is awesome in itself. You've been successful and you can do it again.

I used to have extreme anxiety. I don't know where it came from as I have always been outgoing and never shy or quiet LOL. It came on around mid 40's. My Dr. at the time prescribed Xanax and I took those for a few years. Fast forward to a new age Dr. who told me Xanax was basically the Devil. She weaned me off of them right away. Oh, it was bad. I thought I was going to die, I went through such terrible withdrawls. Had I been smart and done research before ever starting them I would have never taken the first pill. She suggested Magnesium to help with anxiety. It works well and is all natural, so no addiction issues. Also, Melatonin has been wonderful to help me sleep on those nights when I am anxious.

Wishing you the best!

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Jill,
    You've gotten great advice so I really have nothing to add except be kind to yourself. Take a walk. It really does help in sorting through some of the "stuff." Take out your sleeve bible and become reacquainted with it. When you are ready, you know what to do, go back to basics. You can do it!

20. Said thanks: