Surgery date
    04/04/2019
    Last Activity
    05-29-2019 04:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Surgery in 5 days

My surgery is scheduled for 4/4/19. Any tips, recommendations, or just basic information in general would be appreciated.

Things you didn’t know or wish you knew beforehand? Anything..

2. The following 16 users said welcome lgober to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Default Re: Surgery in 5 days

Oh I'm so happy for you. Are you excited and nervous or just excited? Best of luck to you!

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Don't stock up on protein drinks until after you've tasted them after surgery. What you like now is going to change. You can Google '0 carb protein shake samples' and try some samples before you splurge. I didn't find that out for weeks and I struggled to like anything that was available to me locally. Also, something I thought I had known was that for a couple months after surgery, you can feel your liquids going into your stomach and it will most likely make you nauseous. I doubt that would have changed my mind but it would have been nice to know. I struggled with that for a little bit. It also would have been nice to know that changing the temperature of what I was drinking would have helped. Before surgery, I hated water if it didn't have ice in it. Now I can't drink water with ice in it. I also found out very quickly that you still struggle thinking you're hungry and that you need a snack. I always say that my fat brain tells my skinny brain that I need junk food. Thankfully, I've learned some recipes for healthy snacks and I make sure that they fit in my macros. Good luck!

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So excited for you! My tip is you don't need much of anything for the hospital except maybe chap stick. I was only there one night, slept most of the time, and didn't even look at my computer or TV. Wear comfy, loose clothes and shoes that don't have to be tied for coming home.

My tip for when you get home is to SLEEP. I slept so much that first week, it really helped with my recovery. I slept in my recliner as climbing into my high bed hurt a little. When I wasn't sleeping I was sipping continually and walking a little. By week 2 I was feeling pretty normal. I was never sick or nauseous. Start more walking, start slow and increase distance and time as you feel up to it. Listen to your body; I was dizzy a little at first so didn't go far. Keep a journal to be sure you are getting in your required liquid and protein. (And remember a protein drink counts toward both goals). I would also start a journal with your weight recorded once a week, and your measurements maybe every 3 months. It's so much fun! Every week I enjoyed shopping for whatever new food I could start that next week. I was blessed to have no complications. My positive attitude took me all the way!

I basically made this all into a game and had fun every step of the way. Best of luck to you, you're going to have an AMAZING 2019!

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/04/2019
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for your helpful response!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/04/2019
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Never thought about the protein drinks tasting different post surgery.. thanks for all your tips!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

I pray everything goes well. Currently the doctor you and I choose is tied to some serious problems and tied to the superbug going on in his hospitals. His hospitals are tied to improper serialization. He does way to many surgeries in one day. I only saw him brifly before surgery than never again. I was treated postop by multiple doctors. He lied and told me I was a candidate for the sleeve when I wasnt. He cut my niesen wrap and left it causing me to wake up vomiting for hours after surgery. I had major complications 14mos after the sleeve, I had a stroke from AFib caused by my hiatal hernia dragging my stomach into my chest cavity. I had severe acid reflux and freq. vomiting after eating. Required a revision to Bypass which our risky. I endured life threatening complications. I am sorry to do this to you before your surgery. I urge you to google his name. Its not good. I pray we can shut down weightloss Agents and Dr ALManza.He has harmed many patients and has killed patients too. THey cant be trusted. If you have surgery with him I pray you dont have any problems at the time of surgery and after like me. I had my amazing life ripped away from me, now having to start over. I
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

14. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    I pray everything goes well. Currently the doctor you and I choose is tied to some serious problems and tied to the superbug going on in his hospitals. His hospitals are tied to improper serialization. He does way to many surgeries in one day. I only saw him brifly before surgery than never again. I was treated postop by multiple doctors. He lied and told me I was a candidate for the sleeve when I wasnt. He cut my niesen wrap and left it causing me to wake up vomiting for hours after surgery. I had major complications 14mos after the sleeve, I had a stroke from AFib caused by my hiatal hernia dragging my stomach into my chest cavity. I had severe acid reflux and freq. vomiting after eating. Required a revision to Bypass which our risky. I endured life threatening complications. I am sorry to do this to you before your surgery. I urge you to google his name. Its not good. I pray we can shut down weightloss Agents and Dr ALManza.He has harmed many patients and has killed patients too. THey cant be trusted. If you have surgery with him I pray you dont have any problems at the time of surgery and after like me. I had my amazing life ripped away from me, now having to start over. I
    Keep thinking about you Tamera. How are things going? We are meeting for a hike next summer so you need to get better! Sending love and prayers.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Take before pics in a bathing suit or bra and panties. Anything that is form fitting. Select a location that will be easy to always get the same distance. I had my family sit on the tub in my bathroom as I stood in front of closet door to keep it the same. Then after surgery take pics every 2 weeks. Also take measurements and weight at the same time. I kept mine in the notes so I could see my progress. Then make an album on your phone with all the pics. I would take one from the front, both sides, and the back. I love to see them from start to finish. I still look at them to be grateful of my journey.
    My next suggestion is to enjoy the process. Enjoy the journey. Stay accountable. Check in often as it helps to have people who know what you are going through.
    Good luck on your surgery tomorrow!!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Keep thinking about you Tamera. How are things going? We are meeting for a hike next summer so you need to get better! Sending love and prayers.
    Thank you my friend, I really appreciate your support, Love and Prayers. The nausea is better controlled and don’t dry heave as much. Still rely on my
    G-Tube for nutrition and meds. I hope I continue to make improvements. I see the surgeon to see what he thinks about this new abdominal pain. I’m also having contents of my stomach leak out the opening wear my tube comes out. Never had this happen with my other tubes. Just got this tube a week ago. There’s some concern the hole the tube goes through to reach the stomach as eroded. I will have clearance to start walking next week. I started riding the stationary bike and using hand weights for upper body. Thinking of taking my road bike out soon. I’d love to go hiking with you and will look forward to it. I hope I can get into shape. Take Care and enjoy some adventures for me.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos