Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default At how many calories do yóu maintain?

Just wondering... I personally seem to maintain pretty well at around 1400 -1500 calories per day.
    Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    But I hear a lot of different things.
    In a hospital in the Netherlands people are told to eat 1800 calories when they are 12 months out.
    I ate around 1000 calories and could not physically eat more than that.
    And with 1800 at 12 months, how much will they eat at 2 years out, and 5 years and more?

Of course I know it also depends on you level of exercise, but I am just curious.
    I hear people maintain at 1200, others at 1800 and everything in between.
    My surgeon tells me that 1500 calories is fine, no problems with "starvation mode" or otherwise, he is very content with how I do.
    I feel good, my blood work is good.
    But then I read about this hospital and I start wondering.
    But I have also seen a video from a surgeon from Sidney, who tells that the "regain zone" is everything above 1500 calories.

What are your thoughts on this and how many calories do you eat?

This is from that surgeon in Australia (sorry for the size):

English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: At how many calories do you maintain?

Never counted calories, don't even know how. You must weigh and measure every bite you take. Good for you, that's probably why I'm struggling and you're not.

I was told to eat protein first, then veggies, the good carbs if room. I was never told to count anything. But now, 5 years later, I have more room!

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm not a calorie counter either, no weighing or measuring with any type of equipment. I can hardly even eat the 3-4 ounces of protein sometimes and at 8 years post-op have learned that if I can eat a sleeve of crackers if I allow myself and this being said; deviation from the protein first at meals and then the veggies, etc. is not positive for me. I have real restriction for the proteins but find I'm making some unwise food choices and that's why maintenance has become a challenge.
    I never ate a whole slice of pizza, but can certainly eat 1/2 slice much easier than I once did and almost feel like if I let myself and took the time; I could eat that whole slice. I use this reference because for the first couple of years I wouldn't even try 1/2 slice, now am venturing more out of my "bariatric comfort zone." I'm riding the slippery slope of carb eating and it's wreaking havoc with my mind and maintenance.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

"Never ate a whole slice of pizza" I wish I had that kind of restraint. I eat two slices at a time and eat a whole large Papa John's The Works thin crust in two days. Pizza is my favorite, so I really have to limit how often I order it. I havent had any in a few weeks, and it's killing me. I just ate a hot dog with mayonnaise, ketchup, and sauerkraut. I ate all but one bite of it. My tummy is grumpy about it.

I tried to count calories, and then realized it's not for me. If I see a calorie count on something, my crazy kicks in. I won't eat. I will seriously restrict myself when I am aware of calories. It's much healthier for my mental state to just eat without calorie counting. I do know that I get at least 400 calories total from the two protein shakes I drink each day, but other than that, I try to stay unaware.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I definitely track calories, and weigh and measure most foods.....and probably will do forever more.
    18 months out I average 1000 calories a day. That usually consist of 3 meals and 3 snacks. I don't drink alcohol anymore - but had stopped before my surgery in solidarity with my partner who had to stop for medical reasons. I do have occasional treats and log these in my calorie counter too.
    At this stage I don't think that I could eat any more unless it was rubbish foods.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I know at my pre-op, I had a body scan that said to maintain my current weight I would need to eat 1473 calories a day and that was at 233 lb. All the literature I can find in my pre-op binder gives a wide range of 800-1200 calories depending on whether you are trying to lose or maintain. If you get too little calories, your body will go into starvation mode and start breaking down muscle tissue. Continue to weigh food and count calories if that works for you.

12. Said thanks: