03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Default Irregular heartbeat possibly (Afib)

Yesterday I started an all day process of pre-op.

I had a chest x-ray. Then swallowed (barium?) while they made more x-rays. Then Lab-work, and then vitals (which were unbelievably good, B/P was 126/86. Normally its somewhere around 150-160 over 96-104. I was excited !!

Spent the day in class with two other ladies, and had different people come in and talk to us about a lot of different stuff.

THEN !! I go to the hospital and meet with this nurse who gives me a ton of instructions above surgery day. A young girl does an EKG on me and hands it to a lady in Green Scrubs. She tells me she' the anesthesiologist. She then begins to question me. (How long you had an irregular heart-beat?) I don't. (Have you ever had a heart attack or heart cath ?) NEVER. She then said "You will have to see cardiologist" "You definitely have something."

I pay for the surgery and then sent to the surgeon's office.

I explained to the nurse what I was just told and she says "We have all your records, I'll send them over." "They can compare your EKG's"
    I said "I've even had a nuclear stress test in 2017." So they sent for those records.

Long story !! but I'll stop here, I have an appointment with a Cardiologist Tuesday morning at 0845.

I work at a hospital so I had an EKG done today after talking to a friend who is a doctor. He said "You are in Afib." I about freaked out. He said "Its got to be treated, but millions of people have it." He told me if I felt dizzy, lightheaded or tired I'd need to check in and more than likely be admitted. But I was fine to continue working.

To say I'm fretting is an understatement. I was told to stay on my liquid diet and prepare to have the surgery next Thursday.

I been praying real hard about this whole journey and it seems every turn I make there's another roadblock.

I'm not sure I'll qualify now for the surgery but I'm staying on course till someone terminates it.

I've never had so much "Crap" come up against me. But my wife keeps saying this is a blessing in disguise, I'd never known I was having potential issues if I hadn't stayed on this journey. NOW she's the positive one and I'm ready to just throw my hands up and say "I'm Done."

I'm just frustrated, HAVE BEEN, this has been one helluva roller coaster of up and downs. I had to express myself somewhere and I decided why not here. I'm just ranting !!!.... I believe things happen for a reason, I believe in faith but also fate.

Now I'm thinking I'm going to be having a heart cath instead ,,,,,, I'm so drained !!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Irregular heartbeat possibly (Afib)

My mom's A-Fib was treated with medication, but I think for younger people there are medical procedures that can help. She could tell when she went into A-Fib, could feel her heart beating in her chest like crazy. And it had nothing to do with her weight, as she weighed about 110. At first she'd go to the hospital when it happened (I think what you should do), but later would just lie down and it would stop. (Not sure if that was correct protocol or not).

Good luck to you! As long as you are under medical care you should be good!

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/01/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hadar Spivak
    Last Activity
    02-27-2024 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 63 Times
    Was Thanked 48 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I have a bit of a embarrassing experience with AFIB. About a year ago we were having a bit of a Happy Hour in our office. Lots of beers and whiskey floating around, and I decided to partake. I confess, I went a bit overboard. Later that evening at home, I noticed my heartbeat felt like butterflies running back and forth across my chest. I thought it would eventually pass, and went to sleep. The next morning was more of the same, but then I began to feel a little out of breath, with a bit of a cold sweat. Definitely realized something was not right at this time. My wife took me to the doctor's office and they did an EKG and found I was in AFIB. Right away the nurse asked me if I'd been drinking previously, and I said yes. She nodded her head and gave me a look as if to say "Ahh now it makes sense". I went into the Doc's office and he told me to go to the hospital immediately. He made my wife promise him she'd take me immediately or else he would summon an ambulance to do so. So straight to the hospital I went.

They hooked me up to all the monitors and an IV and I was still in AFIB. The doctors there told me they were going to monitor me for 1 hour, and if I remained in AFIB, they would give me a pill to slow my heart rate. If that didn't work, they would give me an additional dose. If that didn't work, they said they would have to give me the shock treatment. It never came to any of that, thank goodness. About 30 min later my heart resumed back into normal sinus rhythm. I finished the IV (for hydration) and left a couple hours later. Lesson learned.

The doctor told me I had what was called "Holiday Heart Syndrome". I googled it and found this:

"Holiday heart syndrome is an irregular heartbeat pattern presented in individuals who are otherwise healthy. Coined in 1978 the term is defined as "abnormal heart rhythms sometimes following excessive alcohol consumption; usually temporary".
    11/1/2015 SW: 141.5 KG
    11/1/2017 GW: 90KG
    Stabilization Weight: 95KG
    ***REGAIN ALERT***
    3/4/2019: 102.5KG
    3/7/2019: 100.5KG
    CW: 95.9KG

EDIT 3/21: Weighed in at 96.3KG, next short-term goal is 92.5KG
    EDIT 3/28: Weighed in at 95.9KG, next short-term goal is 92.5KG
    EDIT 4/4(BIT of a STALL) : Weighed in at 95.3KG, next short-term goal is 92.5 KG

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Afib is a type of tachycardia. I had several issues with tachycardia (pregnant or post op) but my EKGs are always normal at the end.

It's really weird and even when I had to wear a Holter for 24h last August, it was clear that my heart was going crazy at night. Later we found out that my anemia had been much worth and that was the reason for the issue this time.
    But I don't know exactly why I had issues before (pregnant I was vomiting a lot and the reason might have been dehydration, but no clue for the other times), and even during my stay at the hospital in January, the cardiologist told me everything was perfectly fine after many tests. So my issues seem to be always temporary and linked to some other issue.

I hope it will be the same for you!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

It's true, Afib is very common. In younger people, it seems to be more common in people who drink alcohol, especially "binge" drinkers (like Big Mike's experience - haha!). It is treatable (controlled) with medications and reversible in many cases. Some patients need cardiac procedures to reverse it, like cardioversion or ablation which both have good success rates. Keep moving forward with your plans. Cardiac clearance is often required for surgery. It sounds like you are in good care and surrounded by knowledgeable and helpful people. Good luck!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

This must be so frustrating for you.
    However you are getting the right treatment and that is the most important thing.
    If the worst thing that happens is that your surgery is delayed then in the great scheme of things that probably isn't too bad - although I can imagine that you don't see it that way at the moment.
    I hope all goes well. All the best!