Unable to share
    Last Activity
    12-07-2019 07:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Red face Kirby's journey

Hi guys! I'm 24 from the UK.

Disordered eating has been a big part of my life so far. I'm lucky enough to have money to be able to go privately for a gastric sleeve which I'd rather do sooner rather than let my weight and mind escalate to breaking point.

Pre-op stats:
    Surgery on 23/04/19
    Height: 5'6"
    BMI: 33
    Current weight: 200lbs
    Last happy weight: 169lbs
    Goal weight: 140lbs

I'm prone to mental health issues and I'm trying to figure out how to mentally prepare and what plans and activities to have in place to pre-advise my husband on to help me if I wobble!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 04:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Kirby's journey

Just wanted to say good luck dear!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries

HI Good luck with your surgery. I too am from the Uk. I have had disordered eating since my teens, when I developed anorexia. The best support is for your husband to just be there for you and when you are having a crisis to help you through it by listening and not finding fault with you. The operation is a wonderful tool, but it is still up to you mentally in order to succeed. Your team that you are using should have access to a mental health person that perhaps you should arrange to see and continue seeing through then process when you need the help and perhaps you husband can attend a few sessions with you. I went privately as well. Once again good luck.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Quote Originally Posted by enriquecruz8519 View Post
    Just wanted to say good luck dear!
    Quote Originally Posted by elllie View Post
    HI Good luck with your surgery. I too am from the Uk. I have had disordered eating since my teens, when I developed anorexia. The best support is for your husband to just be there for you and when you are having a crisis to help you through it by listening and not finding fault with you. The operation is a wonderful tool, but it is still up to you mentally in order to succeed. Your team that you are using should have access to a mental health person that perhaps you should arrange to see and continue seeing through then process when you need the help and perhaps you husband can attend a few sessions with you. I went privately as well. Once again good luck.
    Thank you - I really appreciate the support! He's pretty good at that already luckily.

I think I'm still naive about how much mental work I will need to do. Unfortunately I'm kinda of having a 'last hurrah' at the minute which I know I shouldn't but..... well I can name all the excuses under the sun. I know how much damage I could do in the next month if I'm not careful. However, realistically it will be the sharp shock of surgery that forces me to examine why I'm doing this and everything else related to food. Until then I'll be in my own food world.

I decided I'd post about things here because although my husband and family are supportive, they haven't lived with food (and mind) struggles. It seems like others on here know how not easy it all is. And anon always helps!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

I saw my GP today and she OK'd it! I've been seeing her for the past 4 years throughout all my struggles and was worried she would say no! As I had been honest to the surgeon, it's ultimately his decision she said.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I saw my GP today and she OK'd it! I've been seeing her for the past 4 years throughout all my struggles and was worried she would say no! As I had been honest to the surgeon, it's ultimately his decision she said.
    Good luck, hope everything works out well for you!

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck Kirby. I would say to seek counseling for your disordered eating along with your surgery. And as long as your hubby is just supportive and compassionate you guys will be fine.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Thank you!

I see that we are having our surgeries close together! I hope yours goes well. When do you start your preop diet? I start on the 17th.

I've got it in my head that I'm just not going to lose any weight. It just seems impossible that this will work (even though of course it will). I guess I can't see myself being smaller because I've been like this for so long.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

SW: 205 (22/04/19)
    CW: 202 (25/04/19)

Day 3 and dobby is a free elffff.

I'm so glad I stayed in hospital for 2 nights because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get enough fluid in but it meant I was super restless from being cooped up in one room for 2-3 days. Day 2 was hard because it was exhausting to do nothing and to do anything even though I avoided all sedating meds. I had a moment last night were I was just profusely crying and I think it was out of feeling sorry for myself more than anything.

So back to day 3, not acutely regretting anymore because I don't feel horrific nausea when I have anything. Cold water is much harder to keep down than warm broth.

Today's liquid has been a combination of chicken broth, actimal (thin bioculture yoghurt) and ice lollies. Having more than just water has made me much less sad.

Onto day 4...

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times

SW: 205 (22/04/19)
    CW: 202 (25/04/19)

Day 3 and dobby is a free elffff.

I'm so glad I stayed in hospital for 2 nights because I wasn't sure I'd be able to get enough fluid in but it meant I was super restless from being cooped up in one room for 2-3 days. Day 2 was hard because it was exhausting to do nothing and to do anything even though I avoided all sedating meds. I had a moment last night were I was just profusely crying and I think it was out of feeling sorry for myself more than anything.

So back to day 3, not acutely regretting anymore because I don't feel horrific nausea when I have anything. Cold water is much harder to keep down than warm broth.

Today's liquid has been a combination of chicken broth, actimal (thin bioculture yoghurt) and ice lollies. Having more than just water has made me much less sad.

Onto day 4...
    Hello Kirby,
    So glad to see you progressing each day. It is baby steps at first isn't it? I am having my surgery on Monday and I've been steady as a rock and excited like a crazy person...….until I did my pre op and hospital registration. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I panicked and it took a couple of days for me to realize it is perfectly normal. We are making a huge change in our lifestyle for the better, but even so, any big change is scary.

I had another visit with my dietician and she mentioned a few things you brought up. She said a lot of times people's taste buds are different after surgery you might find you like things you didn't before and some things may seem way too sweet or not as tasty. She also said temperature is a big thing for some people so maybe room temp or warm for you is better than ice cold. She did suggest if I was struggling to meet the protein grams per day to add some unflavored powdered protein in with the broth and other things as you add soft foods.

Don't despair, it will be alright. It's new, unfamiliar territory we're heading into, but we will come out much healthier and better in the end. Hope all continues to go smoothly for you and continued success!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    Hello Kirby,
    So glad to see you progressing each day. It is baby steps at first isn't it? I am having my surgery on Monday and I've been steady as a rock and excited like a crazy person...….until I did my pre op and hospital registration. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I panicked and it took a couple of days for me to realize it is perfectly normal. We are making a huge change in our lifestyle for the better, but even so, any big change is scary.

I had another visit with my dietician and she mentioned a few things you brought up. She said a lot of times people's taste buds are different after surgery you might find you like things you didn't before and some things may seem way too sweet or not as tasty. She also said temperature is a big thing for some people so maybe room temp or warm for you is better than ice cold. She did suggest if I was struggling to meet the protein grams per day to add some unflavored powdered protein in with the broth and other things as you add soft foods.

Don't despair, it will be alright. It's new, unfamiliar territory we're heading into, but we will come out much healthier and better in the end. Hope all continues to go smoothly for you and continued success!
    SW: 205
    CW: 199

Definitely, it's hard being completely dependent for a bit and to not be able to chug water down. It's slowly getting easier. You'll be fine! Just expect a struggle and anything better will be a nice surprise. Oooo exciting for you! All I can say is ride the waves of all those emotions.

Day 4 and I'm having all over body fatigue setting in. Likely because I'm ketotic now so trying to keep my electrolytes up to offset it. Luckily I have 3 weeks total holiday so I can take my time to become normal again.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Day 11:

SW: 205lbs
    CW: 190lbs
    Feeling back to normal! Less appetite Weight loss so far is really exciting.

My only problem is drinking the forceval multivitamin and mineral drink... it made me throw up. After a few slow slips I feel really nauseous :/
    Gotta power through but my dietician said i could use centrum chewable twice daily in the mean time.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times

Day 11:

SW: 205lbs
    CW: 190lbs
    Feeling back to normal! Less appetite Weight loss so far is really exciting.

My only problem is drinking the forceval multivitamin and mineral drink... it made me throw up. After a few slow slips I feel really nauseous :/
    Gotta power through but my dietician said i could use centrum chewable twice daily in the mean time.
    Hey Kirby! Glad to see you're hanging in there and doing well. Every day does get a little easier doesn't it? Just think of all the fun we'll be having shortly when the major pounds start to come off. Woohoo I'm ready, but I don't know what I'm going to do about clothes except wear a lot of sun dresses.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Unable to share
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    Hey Kirby! Glad to see you're hanging in there and doing well. Every day does get a little easier doesn't it? Just think of all the fun we'll be having shortly when the major pounds start to come off. Woohoo I'm ready, but I don't know what I'm going to do about clothes except wear a lot of sun dresses.
    Show that skin
    I plan on getting work trousers as needed from charity shops but I'm going to try to hold off for as long as I can.... Ill break easily no doubt haha!

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/22/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Miles
    Last Activity
    05-29-2019 07:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hey! Hiw are you? How is everything going?