Dr. Eric Hahn
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 04:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default First post

Hello to all,
    I've been to the orientation, the psyc evaluation, and this week, I'm going to a two-hour orientation with the surgeon and nutritionist...so I don't have a surgery date yet. I turn 60 this Sunday; I'm ready to finally get and stay healthy. I've been on WW for two months and I've lost 20lbs (this is my third time losing with WW.) I'm just feeling scared and excited at the same time.

What are my biggest fears right now? Will the surgeon consider my 20lbs already lost toward the 10% of my body weight? I'm afraid of leaving my old friend food. I'm afraid I'll be sick all the time. I'm super afraid of losing my hair. Right now, those are the things on my mind. If anyone has words of wisdom, please do share. I'd love to become a part of this community.

All my best,
    Marilynn

2. The following 18 users said welcome Marilynn to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First post

Hi, welcome here.
    Isn't this exiting?
    You are about to become healthier than you have been for probably a long time.
    You will be able to eat anything you want, but just in smaller portions.
    Not pizza every day, you will have to learn to choose healthier options than that, but you do want to get healthy, isn't it?
    So, no problem there.
    You are not leaving your old friend food, you just make choices, like you learned at the WW.

I have never been sick, and I don't know many people that are actually.
    It certainly is not the norm.

And about loosing your hair, you may or may not loose much hair, but don't worry, it will grow back.
    Small price to pay for getting healthy, isn't it?

I don't know about the procedures in the US, so I can't answer your question about the surgeon, sorry.
    I am sure someone will know that, there are many wonderful and lovely people here, that can and will help with all the questions you may have.
    Good luck to you!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome

Happy birthday for Sunday :-)

This is such an exciting time for you.

Re your fears.....Can't comment on the weight loss so far as I'm in New Zealand and was self pay.
    Food is not your enemy. You will want to give your new body the best nutrition available and will make great choices based on your surgeon and nutritionists. Your tastes may change after surgery - mine did - and I now look forward to healthy yummy meals.
    I have been sick a couple of times. This was very early on and due to eating too fast - you soon learn to slow down :-) - and I have found out that my stomach no longer tolerates fresh salmon for some reason.
    I had some hair loss at between months 3-6. No one noticed except me and it grew back without any problems.

The benefits that I now have far outweigh (good pun!) these small hiccups. I am 60kgs lighter than I started out and am maintaining well. I am happier, healthier and have so much more energy than I ever have. I'm 56 and am running around with our 7 grandchildren without a second thought.....and buying clothes is so much fun now! I love my new life.

Embrace this tool and you will not believe how great your life will be.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 18 months out, and happy and healthy! Way more healthy than prior to surgery. Way more active. i eat what I want -- but MY rules are protein first, don't worry about healthy fats and very moderate carbs preferably in salad or lovely vegetables. On an occasion a literal "bite" of mashed potatoes, or a celebratory dessert. It works! the sleeve is a toold that works when you works it.

I have been sick; if I eat too fast (which I still do once in a while) or don't hear that stop feeling, which you learn to recognize, I get toad froth or throw up. But I'm learning, like Pavlov's dog.

I had some hair loss, but my doctor felt it was more from two surgeries the same day plus having to get two units of blood. I had a mior surgical complication, but still went home after 2 days and didn't need pain killers. So hooray.

I have one regret -that I didn't do it 12 years ago.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

WW is pretty much how you will be eating. You'll have your protein first, then veggies, then good carbs if you're still hungry. I'm actually doing WW now as a Lifetime member because it helps keep me on track with maintenance.

You won't be leaving your friend food. You will be learning how to eat healthier, but you will be able to have a little of anything in moderation. (I recently had my one Cadbury Egg for the Easter season. No more until next year. I used to eat them by the 5 pack).

I was NEVER sick. Never threw up, not once.

Most of us only lose such a small amount of hair you can't even notice it. So you're probably worrying about nothing.

Instead of worrying, get excited about being a healthy, regular-sized person. It is priceless. (And so much fun!)

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/01/2019
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    03-28-2019 07:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times

I turned 60 in October and had my sleeve Feb 1, 2019. I too was scared and somewhat intimidated. I still enjoy food, just more picky and know when I get full to stop. I have not been sick at all...not even immediately post op. Surgery was not as bad as I imagined it might be. I lost 30 pounds before surgery...it actually helps the surgery go smoother with fewer complications. I think the preop weight loss helped me not to be nauseated, etc after surgery. I have lost some hair...my hair is very thick to begin with. Have been taking Biotin gummies, along with my regular vitamin gummies and I think it is helping. I understand it is easy to hear others' horror stories and get scared, but I would do it all over again. I started at 272, close to your starting weight. I am at 227 now. Weight came off very fast at first and has slowed down now. But it didn't go on overnight and it isn't going to come off overnight. I just keep doing/trying to do the right things everyday--eating and exercising, drinking lots of water, no pop, etc. You can do it. I am living proof.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Specialldy1960's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Shaw
    Last Activity
    06-15-2020 10:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I was just sleeved 2/25. I'm 58. Wanted to welcome you. I'm just starting pureed food. So far so good. The hardest part so far has been slowing down when eating and sipping. I have read from others that did loose some hair, it thickened back up. I don't really miss food. I had cut way back before surgery, so I'm used to going without for now. I'll let you know if it changes.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/25/2019
    Surgeon
    McDaniel
    Last Activity
    06-09-2019 04:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I too had surgery, february 25 and am getting use to how I feel when full. I have thrown up a couple of times because I over did it, but I think I know now when to push the plate away. Ive lost 14 pounds since and although I can't eat much, i'm satisfied.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome. For my two cents' worth - I am 51 and had my surgery last June. I have now lost 111 lbs. I reached my goal weight in December and have maintained it (actually have lost a bit more) for the last 3 months. I have gotten sick 3 times - and all 3 times it was when I was with other people and not paying attention to how fast I was eating. I eat pretty much what I want, but I find I don't want the same foods. I always go with protein first and then see what else I am able to eat. It is pretty easy now. Every once in a while I will crave chocolate, so I have some of those miniature hershey bars on hand. A couple of those and I am done. At around 4 months, I noticed that I was shedding some hair. It lasted about two weeks and then it stopped. I don't have any noticeable thin spots or anything like that. The hardest thing for me is the not drinking for 30 minutes before and after a meal - especially when eating out. I know some people have said that they can do it, but I can't. I just don't order a drink at all and move my water away from me until after I have finished eating. At home I don't get a drink until I am taking my dishes back to the kitchen. It is all worth it - I was scared of the same things. There are a lot of great people here who will be here every step of the way if you let them.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

Are you still here Marilynn?
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

22. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Eric Hahn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Hello,
    I'm so new to this site; I hope all of you who took time to share your experiences with me can see this. I have been in Las Vegas celebrating my 60th birthday with my adult kids and a few friends, but while I was there I got notices that yet another awesome person has responded to my "first post." It really motivated me to stay on track with my WW plan, so thank you for that. Everyone covered my concerns. Thank you all for taking time and spending it on me. I promise to do the same someday when I can. I look forward to following all of you.
    Gratefully,
    Marilynn

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries

O wow, Las Vegas!
    That is still on my bucket list.

Surgeon
    Dr. Eric Hahn
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Las Vegas is fun. I hope you can check it off of your bucket list

27. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Happy Birthday Celebration in Vegas Woohoo good for you! Congrats and keep up the good work.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Hair loss is temporary. It grows back. Not everyone loses it and some lose more than others. It is a minor inconvenience. Things like biotin can help with the regrowth but it won't stop the losing if you are in the 40% who have hair loss. Also, the better your diet and hydration that helps as well. The main thing is it is temporary.
    Food mourning. It is a real thing pre op but post op it is not an issue. Most people don't want it post op. And for a lot of people it is just getting the counseling they need as to why they self sabotage with food.
    As for the 10% you would have to ask your surgeon. I rarely feel sick. I would have to really over indulge but I am 2 1/2 years post op. In the beginning you do have to learn how to eat but as long as you slow down and let your tummy have time to react then you will be ok. The key is to eat slow and not overeat.
    Good luck!! You will love the results.