Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-11-2019 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Physical Recovery

My scheduled surgery date is 3/26/19 in conjunction with a Hiatal Hernia procedure. I'm planning on taking a full week off from work, and then working from home for an additional week (I have a desk job),

But what can I really expect in terms of recovery?

I think this plan will work in terms of getting back to work, but what about real physical exercise? Who long before I can return to general lawn care? General chores around the house? Physical Exercise at the gym?

The one thing I would like to do is an off-shore fishing trip in early May. This will require a lot of heavy lifting and physical exertion. Not to mention dealing with heat and sun.

The other thing I want to return to is Jiu Jitsu (think wrestling). It can be very impact and I would need to be 100% healed.

This just covers the physical aspect: I have not approached how to manage my diet as I don't think I will even be eating solid food yet....

I understand my Dr. would be the ultimate authority, but I am looking for some general guidelines from actual experiences.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Physical Recovery

I didn't have the hernia procedure, but my recovery was no big deal. One night in the hospital and then I only took the pain meds for a few days. I slept a lot that whole first week. I slept in a recliner because it was a little difficult to get into my high bed. When I wasn't sleeping I was sipping my protein/liquids and walking a little. I like your plan of one week off and one week working from home.

You should be good to go in May, but ask your doctor to be sure. I was cleared for all activity at 2 weeks. I started with walking. Some people have limits on how much weight they can lift early on. I did not after those first 2 weeks. Basically you will be listening to your body, you will know if you feel well enough to increase your activity or not.

I was cleared for all food at 6 weeks. But I started "real food" at 4 weeks.

Don't worry, just get excited about your new life! It is really amazing, beyond your wildest dreams. Your doctor/nutritionist will give you a 'bible" with everything you need to know regarding pre-op, protein and vitamin requirements, and your food schedule. Best of luck to you.

Gastric Sleeve Member madjar1106's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. B
    Last Activity
    08-24-2021 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I had hiatal hernia repair and my gallbladder removed along with the gastric sleeve. I was told not to lift anything heavier than 20 lbs until 6 weeks after my surgery. I was also told I could resume my regular activities at 6 weeks.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    04-11-2019 05:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks to you both. That's good news. I also failed to mention my son has a Cub Scout camp-out 2.5 weeks after. So it sounds like I should be up and about. I'll be sure to get the details from my Dr., but he seemed cautioned about extreme physical activity for a while.

I think my biggest worry now is food planning/prep and not getting dehydrated.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by mman View Post
    Thanks to you both. That's good news. I also failed to mention my son has a Cub Scout camp-out 2.5 weeks after. So it sounds like I should be up and about. I'll be sure to get the details from my Dr., but he seemed cautioned about extreme physical activity for a while.

I think my biggest worry now is food planning/prep and not getting dehydrated.
    You will have to plan for the 2.5 week trip. You'll probably be on soft, mushy food, not sure how that will work at a camp-out. Scrambled egg on the campfire? Maybe pack a lot of protein drinks? Just be sure to bring a lot of water!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents