Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Default Just ranting

I got the Lap Band 12-22-2009 and lost a lot of weight. Unfortunately the band slipped and I had an esophageal dilitation, so the band was deemed no longer effective. Through no ones fault by my own, I gained almost all my weight I lost by eating poorly and lack of exercise. My BMI is 37 but I qualify for WLS with other comorbidities. I can’t believe the number of people, even medical personnel, who say to me “you’re not fat enough for WLS.” Yes, the F word is used. My daughter calls it fat-shaming and it gets her so mad. But tell me, at what point is someone fat enough for surgery? Is it my right to pursue surgery based on the medical advice of a reputable surgeon to change my life? Why do I have to justify my decision to each person I come in contact with? I just had an echo and stress test done because there was concern on a recent EKG. The cardiologist asked me why I could not just diet as I’m “not too big yet.” WHAT??? I’ve decided to stop telling people what I’m doing and when I start to lose weight I’ll just smile and thank them and if they ask how I did it, I will just have to come up with a snappy answer.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Laurallynn's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Laural
    Surgery date
    09/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Cuneen
    Last Activity
    04-20-2020 12:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Just ranting

I totally understand. I choose not to tell certain people because I know they would not have been supportive. You need to surround yourself with people who are behind you and your decision. Ignore the outside chatter and listen to your doctor and keep it positive.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

That's why my best advice is to tell as few people as possible. They always come back with stupid opinions. Only someone who has been in our shoes can totally understand. I told my husband, adult children, and mom. Then I blabbed to my 2 best friends, and one of them obviously told everyone. So disappointing.

Just tell people you are dieting and exercising. Or you are following a doctor's diet. Anything but the truth, sorry to say.

7. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Yep, only told a select (very select!) few people about my surgery. I'm a bit more relaxed about it now but there are some people that I will never tell!

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Same here.
    You have absolutely no obligation to tell anyone.
    And if you are like me, you have probably been dieting all your life and people have seen you loose weight all the time.
    So they will just think you are on one of your diets.
    When they don't see you regaining, that is when the questions will start... lol
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgeon
    Reising
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 05:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I have only told my huaband about my decision to get surgery. He on the other hand has told afew people at work. He told me that and I was pissed. But whats donw is done. I wouldn't tell anyone of I were you. But I dont have a lot of friends anyways, so other than family or co-workers I have no one to tell. I dont live close to family, so why bother telling them. And its none of my coworkers business.

14. Said thanks: