Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

Default Mourning food

So my liquid diet starts Wednesday and I’m actually starting to mourn the loss of certain foods. My husband and I would pick different restaurants to go out to for date night and now this changes a lot. I know I’m ready to commit but I still feel sad...is this normal or a sign I am not at the point I need to be? Also, we plan to travel to Germany and Italy with a group at my 3 month point. How do I deal with eating out?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mourning food

I thought I would be sad about some things, and in my head I was. As I got further out, and I tasted one of those "sad" things, they were gross (I'm taking potatoes, which I used to love in any form).

When I go out (in the States, and I don't think Europe does take out boxes) I ask for a small plate on the side, and put what I know I should eat there. For instance, I can get a healthy chicken parm by asking for no breading, and light cheese. I eat about 4 oz, and some salad. I take the rest home.

Same strategy in other restaurants.

As to world travel, I leave that to other folks! I don't fly, so I'm geographically challenged
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You will be fine at 3 months. You won't eat as much as everyone else, but you will be too busy enjoying your trip to worry about food. I did Italy at about 4 months and it was great. I just looked for the healthy choices on menus. Not to mention we walked and walked and walked!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Please don't mourn food. Instead embrace the new healthier, possibly happier, you that is going to emerge.

You will actually be able to eat most foods once you are a few months out. Just not so much of it.
    I found that my tastes have changed and now if I am not able to get my regular foods I miss them. The fried foods, sweets, cookies etc just don't have the same appeal any more. That is not to say that I don't have the occasional treat - but a small piece or whatever seems to satisfy any want that I have now.

When eating out I try and have a look at the menu online before I to the restaurant as I like to be a little prepared. There is usually something in the appetizer/entrée (our entrees are small plates) section that I can eat and if not I just order off the main menu and don't eat it all. Sometimes it is appropriate to ask for a takeout box but usually I just leave it. I am at peace with paying for a full meal and not eating it all. If the waiter/ress asks I just explain that the meal was lovely but I don't have a huge appetite. If I am eating out with friends that know about my surgery that are really good about suggesting places that have Tapas or shared plates where I can just pick what I want.

We are travelling to Italy in September and I am prepared for there not being so many good choices for me - pasta/pizza etc. However there is usually some lovely fresh fish, seafood or a chicken dish that would be just fine. I will be taking protein powder and protein bars for the times that perhaps there isn't something suitable. I always have a protein shake for breakfast and as tempting as the breakfast pastries will be over there I will continue having my shake :-) The markets are great places to shop for fresh fruit and vegetables, deli foods etc and they often have a chicken van that sells the most wonderful cooked chickens - so delicious.

In summary, I think being prepared is going to be your best bet. Have some contingencies for the "just in case" moments.

PS. the liquid pre op is the worst part of the whole process - and even then it isn't so bad because you know there is a end date and after that you will be on to the new you!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bellagirl's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    03/27/2019
    Surgeon
    Corrigan McBride
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I feel better about my trip now, thanks. Was going to pack lots of protein powder in case I couldn’t find foods to fit the new me. Just apprehensive about the future. It’s the fear of the unknown but after all the great people who have responded to me I don’t feel as fearful as in the beginning of this journey.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellagirl View Post
    I feel better about my trip now, thanks. Was going to pack lots of protein powder in case I couldn’t find foods to fit the new me. Just apprehensive about the future. It’s the fear of the unknown but after all the great people who have responded to me I don’t feel as fearful as in the beginning of this journey.
    Try to change your fear of the unknown into excitement of what's to come! Unless you are happy the way things are now with your weight, health, and life, you are about to start the journey that will turn your life upside down. This journey is so amazing it's a miracle. Just imagine being a healthy, regular sized person, full of energy to do anything you want. It truly is beyond your wildest dreams. Start with a positive attitude and get ready for the most fun of your life!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it is safe to say, that no one has more experience in travelling than I have, since we are fulltimers living in our RV and always on the move.
    In the last couple of weeks, I have travelled from Morocco to Spain, to France, to Italy (Venice (!)), to Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and we are now in Greece.
    I was sleeved in Spain, that was the country we happened to be in.
    Believe me when I say, that you will manage to find food that suits you in every country.
    One country may have more fish, other countries more meat, but you can find dairy products like yoghurt and cheese and cottage cheese almost everywhere.
    It is smart, however, to pack lots of things like string cheese, beef jerkey, nuts, protein bars and things like that, just ICE.
    I usually order salads with protein, like tuna, or cheese on top.
    You can also opt for a grilled salmon and ask (in advance) if you can take the leftovers home with you.
    Although in Europe that is not commonly done, I was never refused that.
    You can even take your own air tight container with you in case they don't have boxes or doggie bags.
    I always have ziplock bags from Ikea with me.

You just go and enjoy yourself, don't worry, you will be fine!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I guess in Sicily steamed octopus would have been a healthy choice, but I preferred the fresh fish!

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Octopus???
    Those things with all the arms?
    No thanks... yuk... lol
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.