Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Advice from Weight Trainers

OK, you all know I'm a serious exerciser; hike, bike, ski, snowshoe, kayak, basically everything outdoors. But the one thing I'm neglecting is weight training. I did a Body Pump class Monday and can still hardly move. For all of you work with weights out there, how does it work? Try it a few times a week and hope for less pain? Or every other day? Or maybe start with an easier class? I really want to get into this, but OUCH! It hurts to type.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/10/2018
    Surgeon
    DR Halstead
    Last Activity
    11-01-2021 08:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 143 Times
    Was Thanked 257 Times in 184 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice from Weight Trainers

well done for doing the body pump class. its a tough class, but it will get easier the more you do it. Being fit as you are, it wont take too long until you don't hurt after a class, although when doing weights, you should always ache afterwards and then you know you have worked hard.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Really? Always ache after weight work? That doesn't sound fun.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

OMG! I love my Body Pump class! I was sore the first few times. I take the class with two different trainers. I take a Monday class, and the trainer tells us that we cannot take the class again until Wednesday. I usually take the second class on a Friday. Make sure you are using light weights to start with. The ache is real! but I always say that that's our body's way of saying that its working! Stick with it!!!

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by kenson View Post
    OMG! I love my Body Pump class! I was sore the first few times. I take the class with two different trainers. I take a Monday class, and the trainer tells us that we cannot take the class again until Wednesday. I usually take the second class on a Friday. Make sure you are using light weights to start with. The ache is real! but I always say that that's our body's way of saying that its working! Stick with it!!!
    I'm going back tomorrow. And I'm using the lightest weights they have!! It is fun, I just don't like the pain. Someone suggested being sure to drink water throughout the class, that it helps the muscles. I never think of drinking when it's freezing out and the class is a little chilly too. But I'll drink.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I am humbled by y'alls dedication!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Good on you for doing this. Walking is about all I feel inclined to do. In my younger days when I went hard out at the gym it always hurt - always! I remember my arms being so sore once that I couldn't lift my hairbrush up to brush my hair and had to put it on the dressing table and try and take my head to it - lol.
    However if you are sensible the pain will not be quite so intense after a few classes.
    Since starting yoga I am finding a few muscles that I "forgot" that I had - our teacher get us doing so unnatural things with our legs ;-)

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiGal View Post
    Good on you for doing this. Walking is about all I feel inclined to do. In my younger days when I went hard out at the gym it always hurt - always! I remember my arms being so sore once that I couldn't lift my hairbrush up to brush my hair and had to put it on the dressing table and try and take my head to it - lol.
    However if you are sensible the pain will not be quite so intense after a few classes.
    Since starting yoga I am finding a few muscles that I "forgot" that I had - our teacher get us doing so unnatural things with our legs ;-)
    I'd love to try yoga. I belong to the Y and they don't have any beginner classes. I only went once and felt stupid when she calls out some pose name and I have no idea what she's talking about. Plus they turn out the lights and I could hardly see the teacher.

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I'd love to try yoga. I belong to the Y and they don't have any beginner classes. I only went once and felt stupid when she calls out some pose name and I have no idea what she's talking about. Plus they turn out the lights and I could hardly see the teacher.
    We have found a great community class. All beginners and great instructor. I'm really enjoying it. I've also found out just how inflexible I am and that my right knee is not in great shape so I can't kneel down properly. We all have a bit of a giggle when we get ourselves tied up in knots but we are all definitely seeing an improvement. It would be better to do it more than once a week but I guess every little bit helps.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Many year ago, (in an other life!) I did start a body pump (Les Mills) class. I loved it! But it was hard, I started from zero, and you are already in great shape!!
    I'm sure you will do great very soon!!

At first I couldn't finish a class, took me like thee weeks to be able to finish a 50 mns class. Month two I was taking two classes a week. I loved it, but was in pain each time (sorry!) but was also still really heavy.

I also loved body attack and after a few month was taking one of each per week, with also some low impact classes like yoga or dance. I did alternate a lot. But since I was trying to figure out which one would be the best for me, it was always hard to follow each teacher's routine, plus it was very loud with sometimes the instructor screaming the routine and at the end I did pick one body pump class where the teacher was "more relaxed"

Someone told you about the drinking water before, it's also very important to drink after to clear up the toxins from your system. Since it's still cold outside, you can have a warm herbal tea in a thermos for after.

I wish I could take a class right now. I've been stuck since November and won't be fully mobile for months since after I recover from this current surgery I will have the other one. I hope I can use my bike in between...I can see I'm losing muscle mass and it's worry sum.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm going back tomorrow. And I'm using the lightest weights they have!! It is fun, I just don't like the pain. Someone suggested being sure to drink water throughout the class, that it helps the muscles. I never think of drinking when it's freezing out and the class is a little chilly too. But I'll drink.
    Body Pump is the one class where I can drink an entire bottle of water BEFORE the class ends!!!! I'm glad you're going back!

22. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Did my second class this morning. I'm going to make a goal for two Body Pump classes a week.

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

People generally do not weight train properly. There are 2 types of thinking with strength training. You can do total body or split training. I personally do split. I also follow a routine that was created for me by a friend who used to be a personal trainer. I also choose to do some light cardio between my sets versus just waiting the 2-3 mins between. I jog down the street and back. I have it down to a science. But you have to know what you are doing with strength training. I do highly recommend having a trainer develop a plan for you or buying a book on strength training. Most people just do whatever and end up over training, under training, or hurting themselves. Here is a good article on the difference between the 2 ways to strength train.

https://www.builtlean.com/2011/09/15...ich-is-better/

26. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    People generally do not weight train properly. There are 2 types of thinking with strength training. You can do total body or split training. I personally do split. I also follow a routine that was created for me by a friend who used to be a personal trainer. I also choose to do some light cardio between my sets versus just waiting the 2-3 mins between. I jog down the street and back. I have it down to a science. But you have to know what you are doing with strength training. I do highly recommend having a trainer develop a plan for you or buying a book on strength training. Most people just do whatever and end up over training, under training, or hurting themselves. Here is a good article on the difference between the 2 ways to strength train.

https://www.builtlean.com/2011/09/15...ich-is-better/
    I ended up hurting myself at Body Pump. I slightly strained my rotator cuff getting out of my car onto ice before Christmas. But now I think Body Pump totally tore it. I see the doctor for the 2nd time today. Total pain. I think the problem with these classes is they don't really give you any instruction and the teachers are typically 20-somethings. I have heard since my injury that heavy weights over your head are a bad idea. I really need a personal trainer!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

I ended up hurting myself at Body Pump. I slightly strained my rotator cuff getting out of my car onto ice before Christmas. But now I think Body Pump totally tore it. I see the doctor for the 2nd time today. Total pain. I think the problem with these classes is they don't really give you any instruction and the teachers are typically 20-somethings. I have heard since my injury that heavy weights over your head are a bad idea. I really need a personal trainer!
    Oh no!!!!
    I'm so sorry you're hurt!
    I took a new class last night. I thought that it was going to be a class like Body Pump, but nooooo, this class was Body Attack--and when I finished that class I felt like I had been attacked!!! OMG! I was wet when I came out of that class!

29. Said thanks: