Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones at Pompeii
    Last Activity
    06-03-2019 12:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Welcome your input!

Hi, I'm having gastric sleeve surgery in a couple weeks. I'm having mine done at Pompeii Surgical. Has anyone else used them? My husband is having his done there the week after next. I'm nervous about him going by himself. Any advice? Thanks, Michele

2. The following 16 users said welcome Wareaglegirl to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Wareaglegirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/01/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones at Pompeii
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Default Re: Welcome your input!

Hi everyone,
    I had hoped to hear from anyone after joining yesterday. I am nervous about my upcoming surgery and would appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

I currently weigh about 207 and I'm 5'3" tall. I've fought with my weight all my life. I've done every diet, exercise plan known to man. I've lost and gained the same weight too many times to count. I'm tired of being overweight, tired, and most important, unhealthy. I watched both parents die in the last year. My mom's health problems contributing to her death could have been greatly lessened had she taken better care of herself. I don't want that to be me.

Thanks for reading (hopefully).

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Wareaglegirl View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I had hoped to hear from anyone after joining yesterday. I am nervous about my upcoming surgery and would appreciate any suggestions you can provide.

I currently weigh about 207 and I'm 5'3" tall. I've fought with my weight all my life. I've done every diet, exercise plan known to man. I've lost and gained the same weight too many times to count. I'm tired of being overweight, tired, and most important, unhealthy. I watched both parents die in the last year. My mom's health problems contributing to her death could have been greatly lessened had she taken better care of herself. I don't want that to be me.

Thanks for reading (hopefully).
    Welcome, I’ve heard your clinic name before but not Farmilar with it personally. When I went to TJ 2 years ago their were several people including ladies that travelled alone. We spent time together in a group and they paired people traveling alone together unless they choose not too. Medical tourism is a big money maker so they seem to go out of their way to try and make it safe. Surgery is not without risk and I found doctors working for cash may not always tell you everything. Weightloss Agents/scheduler said the doctors reviewed my records and said I’d Be a good candidate. It took a few weeks to be scheduled. I was told the surgeon, cardiologist & Anesthesiologist we’re reviewing my records so I felt confident. In my research I never saw warnings or told by any of my doctors including my GI dr in the states, if you have a history of acid reflux and been treated for a Hiatal Hernia with a Nissan fundoplycation wrap, the Sleeve can make it worse and the wrap needs to be removed and may requiring a revision to bypass in most cases down the road. I made it about 13 mos before I started getting sick and having a lot of problems. Ended up having a revision 20mos post sleeve. If you and your husband have no history of those things you should do good. Walking and sipping frequently to stay hydrated is important. Walking will help the pain. A heating pad helped with the pain too. I did receive good care over all and liked my stay in Mexico. I also loved the Sleeve the first year. I lost most of the weight and kept it off. Made Dreams come true. Be ready to make changes with how you look at food. Eat to live don’t live to eat. Also your brain will tell you your hungry when you know you shouldn’t be. I would talk to myself and then distract myself. This gets easier with your sleeve. Look at it as a tool not the Solution. You will need to make changes and find away to enjoy exercise and that gets easier as the weight comes off. I found a passion for hiking but the first six weeks I walked the indoor track, did the stationary bike and elliptical with stationary arms. Then at eight weeks started using weights and hiking which led to mountain and rock climbing, snow shoeing and long distance backpacking. I found groups to join to met others through a program called meetup. That was awesome. I could start out doing beginner level outings and work my way up. I know have a wonderful group of friends that are active like me. I also learned so much from them too. I wish you and your husband safe travels and much success. Loosing the weight got me off B/P meds, no longer a diabetics, no longer have obstructed sleep apnea. So Sorry about your mom. Happy to answer any questions
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

6. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/01/2019
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    03-28-2019 07:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times

I went to TJ alone in early February this year. I wish I had taken someone with me. It was kind of scary. It would have been nice to have a person you know to be with you and would have been helpful to have someone help with luggage in the airport on the way home. It was a long flight home and I was exhausted. All in all I would definitely recommend taking a companion along.

8. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I sure wouldn't take a long airline trip home alone after having major surgery. That just sounds nuts to me. How would you even lift your luggage?

I'm 5'3" and started at about 219. Made my goal of 140 in about 9 months. I've maintained within a few pounds for almost 5 years now. The surgery is life changing, you'll love it!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    04/01/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones at Pompeii
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Thank you everyone for taking the time to welcome me! I appreciate it!
    Michele

Surgery date
    04/01/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones at Pompeii
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Hi Tamera2,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me! I appreciate you letting me know about the issues with reflux. I don't have it but my husband does. He's done a lot of research into this and is going to have his hernia repaired when he goes down for his surgery. We have both discussed the operation and post surgery. We both are committed to making lifestyle changes as well. Losing the weight should help both of us with our health issues (sleep apnea, high cholesterol, etc.). I will definitely take you up on your offer to answer any questions!

Thank you again!
    Michele

Surgery date
    04/01/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones at Pompeii
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

wattek58,

Wow, you've lost 43 pounds in only 38 days??? That's amazing! I wanted to go with my husband, but he has traveled the world and feels comfortable going by himself. Unfortunately, I am in nursing school and will miss a week of class when I have my surgery in April. I just can't miss two weeks of class. He is going to accompany me when I go to TJ for my surgery. I definitely want someone to go with me!!

Thanks so much for your input!
    Michele

Surgery date
    04/01/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Quinones at Pompeii
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

Thanks so much, sraebaer!

You and I are the same height and about the same starting weight. Thank you for sharing your progress. I'm looking forward to it, but nervous at the same time! All I can say is I'm so tired of fighting my weight. I'm 53 and want to be around for a long time to be with my family.

Thank you for the encouragement!!
    Michele

16. Said thanks:

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/01/2019
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    03-28-2019 07:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 106 Times

I lost 30 lb prior to surgery...I started my high protein low carb diet November 1st--3 mo before my surgery. So only 13 pounds since surgery. I have hit a plateau for the last week or so...I know it will start coming off again. I started going back to the gym and working out and walking a lot. Good luck with your journey. Glad your husband will be going with you.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Wareaglegirl View Post
    Thanks so much, sraebaer!

You and I are the same height and about the same starting weight. Thank you for sharing your progress. I'm looking forward to it, but nervous at the same time! All I can say is I'm so tired of fighting my weight. I'm 53 and want to be around for a long time to be with my family.

Thank you for the encouragement!!
    Michele
    All I can say is it's just so much fun to watch the weight fall off. I would buy new clothes and they would be too big before removing the tags. Have a positive attitude and enjoy the ride. If you are one of the lucky ones like me, the whole journey will be easy.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome Michelle! I hope your surgery went well. So your hubby is going to be sleeved next week? That is awesome to go through this together. It is definitely easier for you guys to understand what each other is going through. Excited for your journey.