Surgeon
    Dr. B
    Last Activity
    08-24-2021 02:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Vitamins/supplements?

I am 3 weeks post-op and I see on here where many people are taking vitamins like B12 and calcium citrate, etc.... my doc just told me to take a multivitamin. Do I need to be taking all these other vitamins/supplements as well???

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Vitamins/supplements?

I was told to take a bariatric multi-vitamin for the rest of my life, supposedly it has more of certain things than a normal multi-vitamin. It does, I compared my regular multi vitamin to the bariatric one, they are really different. Then I am to take 1200 mg Calcium Citrate. I get them at Walmart, but early on you can't swallow something so big so will have to buy a chewable online. (I never found chewable Calcium Citrate over-the-counter).

My multi-vitamin is ProCare Health online. (They are in my local grocery store too). One a day. The chewable are tiny. Now I just take the capsule that comes in a 90 day supply.

For Calcium Citrate I used Building Blocks online. I liked the orange chewable ones.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2019 03:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I think blood work is going to tell you what vitamins and supplements you "need" to take. My doctor will not even do any lab work until 3 months out, says before then all blood work looks like hell. Immediately following surgery (sleeve) I was told to start a bariatric multi - chewable with some specific minimums of certain vitamins and minerals. I've used Fusion (can get on amazon) and Unjury so far, no objection to either. Fusion tastes better but is four tabs a day, Unjury does not taste bad and its only one tablet per day. Also immediately after surgery was told to take B12, sublingual at least 500 mcg per day. I get this from Amazon (their house brand - Solimo, dirt cheap).

At 2 months, just last week, out I was asked to add Calcium Citrate 1500mg per day (4 chewable tablets from Unjury) and D3 (1 chewable tablet also from Unjury) at least 3000 IU's per day.

My daily vitamin/supplement cost is a touch south of $1.20 per day and that will decrease at 6 months when I will be allowed to move off the chewables.

So I'm not sure what you "have" to do and I'm not sure what my blood work will show. To me its not a big ask and its reasonably cheap insurance to support the best results (and my nails have never grown faster).

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told to take a multivitamin. I chose one of the ones recommended by my surgeon. Not sure if it's available elsewhere. Clinicians Multivitamin and mineral boost. I take 2 a day (both at the same time) and my bloods have been perfect ever since surgery.Clinicians.PNG