Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Thread: Wrong Calcium

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Wrong Calcium

Just realized I've been unknowingly taking Calcium Carbonate instead of Calcium Citrate for 7 months now. When mom passed away she left a ton of unopened, unexpired bottles, and I just started taking it. (Obviously with our reading the label!)

Do you think I caused any damage? Anyone know why we are told to take the citrate and not the carbonate?

Thanks medical people! Off to but the right stuff.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wrong Calcium

Calcium carbonate is the one used in antiacid, I took those for like 2 years...I was ok. You should be fine too.

Some studies say that the citrate is more bioavailable than carbonate, in others they say that there no real difference in the bone markers (of bone resorption in post-menopausal women).

Basically, I had several point of view, depending on which (uni) class I was taking!

At the end, my surgeon said : no worries, check your D vitamin level (I'm almost always deficient whatever dosage I take, I need real sun), that's more important, and also the parathyroid hormone, that should tell you more...

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Well my blood work did come back fine. I was just hoping it didn't damage my stomach in any way like taking NSAIDS or something.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Katrina
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    06-22-2023 07:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 388 Times in 276 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I take NSAIDS every day despite knowing the risk. What blows me away is how doctors keep prescribing them even when I tell them about weightloss surgery. They dont think it's a big deal. My daughter's doctor just tried to prescribe her some on Monday, but I wouldn't allow it. She did call in a topical NSAID and said that since it's only topical that it won't hurt the stomach. From what I've read this is false. I'm under the impression that it still irritates the stomach no matter what method it enters the body. I have to take that risk because I can't live with the pain from my neck that causes severe migraines. I do not feel like my daughter needs to take that risk when she's already got so many issues as it is.
    No pre-op diet
    Day of surgery 11/4/14: 5'4" 213lbs
    1 month: 187
    2 months: 171
    3 months: 155
    4 months: 148
    5 months: 142
    6 months: 136
    7 months: 131
    8 months: 125
    9 months: 120
    10 months: 114
    11 months: 111
    1 year: 109
    1.5 years: 105
    2 years: 108
    2.5 years: 102
    3 years: 113
    4 years: 115
    5 years: 115
    6 years: 117

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

About those NSAIDS: my surgeon had never heard of the problems that seem to happen when taking them. lol
    In the Netherlands people are scared to death to take them, even the band aids with the gel are a no-go...
    So... as always, the truth will be somewhere in the middle?
    You can take them, if necessary, but with precaution?

But about the calcium: I have taken these carbonate things from the start, because I could not find the proper ones.
    No problems here and the blood work was always good.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was told we take the citrate because our body can't absorb and process the carbonate as well. It will not hurt you. You just weren't getting as much out of it. Lots of people take calcium carbonate the whole time because they are not advised properly by their surgeon's office.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    I take NSAIDS every day despite knowing the risk. What blows me away is how doctors keep prescribing them even when I tell them about weightloss surgery. They dont think it's a big deal. My daughter's doctor just tried to prescribe her some on Monday, but I wouldn't allow it. She did call in a topical NSAID and said that since it's only topical that it won't hurt the stomach. From what I've read this is false. I'm under the impression that it still irritates the stomach no matter what method it enters the body. I have to take that risk because I can't live with the pain from my neck that causes severe migraines. I do not feel like my daughter needs to take that risk when she's already got so many issues as it is.
    You are doing the right thing advocating for your daughter!
    Truth is many doctors don't know much about medication and their sides effects. You are completely right and even the gel version (usually called Voltaren) is very strong and can trigger many issues especially for people already sick.

I had a prescription for the gel when I had my double knee tendinitis in 2017. It did help a lot because I couldn't walk at all but I used it only three times, then switched to natural remedies. Each time I used the gel, It did accelerate my heart bit, and I was feeling dizzy and like drunk. Really weird. I did check the side effects and yes the gel version can be really dangerous, even get you a heart attack! I'm always careful with medication since I have so many allergies but because it was a topical gel I didn't think too much about it, until I did experienced each time some strong side effect. And I didn't apply much! the size of a dime on each knee!
    So you did great here!

What you can try is homeopathy. No side effects,no interaction with meds, and many people are not believers but as I always say, it doesn't cost much, it won't affect your health so it's worth trying. For many people it does help, depending on the issue. I use it for my kid (and me) for example Arnicare gel (lab boiron) help with pain and bruises, and you can take arnicare arthritis in tablets (also Boiron), to give an extra help.

Depending on what is your daughter issues, there is also plants (for example harpagophytum, curcuma) or or essential oils (for example wintergreen) you can use. But for those you need to check if it can go with her meds.

Also animal oil does work for pain : Emu oil works well for joints. You can eat it and or apply it.

Let me know if you want pointers, because for plants and essential oil it's always better to be careful. I'm currently taking a class where we are learning about how to combine natural remedies (and be safe) with meds.

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Just be sure to take with food. I guess that's even on the label, but who reads all that fine print.

15. Said thanks: