Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-19-2020 05:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question New and excited!!!

Greetings! I've started my process to get sleeved in Mexico! A dear friend had it done there and has had an amazing transformation. I am working on gettiing my passport since I've never left the U.S. I just turned 40 years old and quit smoking 2 months ago. My extra weight is the last major thing that needs to go. I am incredibly nervous about telling my family about this. I am a single mom and my daughter who is 7 will have to stay with them while I'm gone. I fully expect them to disagree with this decision. Any suggestions on how to break the news?

I would rather not tell anyone at work, but not sure how I'll pull that off either? I am a solo HR Manager and there is no one else to run our weekly payroll etc. I've really enjoyed reading all the feedback here and wonder how unrealistic it might be to think I could go back to work 4 days post-op? I know everyone is different and there is no real way to gauge this, but has anyone been successful at returning to work quickly?

I really appreciate your time and feedback!

2. The following 13 users said welcome lbm30062 to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New and excited!!!

Hi and welcome.

I told very few people and certainly no-one at work. All they knew was that I was having 2 weeks leave. My manager knew that I was having a small operation but that was all. I had a hernia repaired at the same time so if pushed I could have used that as the reason - but I never had to.

Re going back 4 days post op- I wouldn't recommend it. I took 2 weeks and that seemed just about right. The first week I just slept, walked, sipped my water and focused on getting my protein in. The 2nd week was much better and I used it to get used to my new "normal".

Whatever you decide this will be a very exciting time for you.

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Tell as few people as you possibly can. People naturally gossip and offer their frequently stupid opinions. My surgeon just wrote a note that I had to be out 2 weeks for surgery to my school district. (10 days or less I didn't have to go on disability). He didn't mention what kind of surgery. I really enjoyed my 2 weeks off, basically slept that whole first week, and got used to my new life the second. Plus you will be tired after travel. 4 days may be a bit too soon, but that's up to you. Any way you could do some of your work at home for a while?

So thrilled that you are excited! It will be so much fun. You will have the best 2019 EVER.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I on the other hand told most of my family and friends -- however, I told them the truth that it would make my health better, hopeed it would resolved high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol and heart issues -- all of which it did.

As to why I ate less, well I just said I was working on it. Which I was. And back to work in 4 days? I don't know you. I honestly think if I was not retired, I could have at about 5 days. But I went back to work 5 days after a hysterectomy. I also rode horses that same week...everyone is different.

I had complications after my VSG - it required a 2nd surgery and blood transfusions. That said, I still came home in 3 days, and didn't need any sort of pain killer. I was however, mega tired for about 3 weeks

I'm sure there will be as many different answers as there are people on the forum!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Name
    Cassie
    Surgery date
    02/05/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Casias
    Last Activity
    06-13-2019 03:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi!

I just had my VSG on February 5th. My doctor gave me one week total off and due to the fact I am in an office setting he had no problems with that. I also do HR and Accounting and am the only one that does it in my company, so I know where you are coming from. Which I am also a single mother to a 10 year old. My daughter spent 3 days with her father and the day I came home I stopped to see her so she knew I was OK.

I did my billing one week early and came back and did my payroll on my first day back and only came in for 4.5 hours then started back full time the next day. This is only my second week back to work but everything seems to be going to plan. Every hour I get up and walk laps around me floor. I walk 2 blocks over to get the mail (weather permitting). For me I was doing nothing but sleeping the first 3 days. By day 4 I was more alert and walking. I have been working hard on finding balance.

HW: 393 (June 2017)
    SW: 309 (February 5, 2019)
    W1: 300.2 (February 13, 2019)
    W2: 295.6 (February 20, 2019)
    W3: 293.0 (February 26, 2019) 100 lbs lost!!!!
    1M: 289.3 (March 6, 2019)

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    05/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you, Sraebaer. Unfortunately, I can't work from home. And my company is more like a family. It's a small business and I don't just get lost in the shuffle. I don't think my boss would accept a vague letter from my surgeon. I now love it and hate it at the same time.

Surgery date
    05/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you, Annie G. If I return to work in 5 days, I won't have to explain anything and that would be ideal. I don't want to be dishonest at all and am really just looking to not have to explain anything before surgery. I think I'll be forthcoming at some point afterwards.

I hope everything goes smoothly for me, but won't be nearly as scared if it doesn't since you survived yours. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Surgery date
    05/24/2019
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Cassie B, this is excellent news! It is so nice to know someone else has a similar circumstance. Whew! Your experience gives me tons of hope. Thank you!

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Welcome, when I went to Mexico for my surgery I didn’t travel home until day 4. I don’t think I could have returned to a job that soon. First 2-3 weeks I was very tired and spent my time focused on my diet and fluids and walking. I would encourage you to take a week off to allow some time for healing and focusing on your diet and fluids. It’s extremly important to stay hydrated. People often get dehydrated and end up back in the hospital. It’s all up to you. I told people what my plans were. Found people were very supportive. Only one wasn’t. It was my mom. She was just worried about me but Once I got home and was ok she was very supportive. That’s a personal choice to tell or not too tell. I’ve since had a revision to a bypass and had multiple complications and my mom hasn’t been negative about my decision. The reason for the revision was due to developing severe acid reflux and ppi’s And diet changes didn’t help.Good luck and hope everything turns out well now and down the road.
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Best of luck with your surgery and hope the work works itself out! ;-)

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I was out of work just one week and I have a desk job. I probably could have easily gone back sooner. You will be tired though. But you should be fine. Just make sure you have some anti nausea meds and you bring a cup and make sure you sip, sip, sip all day long. As for telling your family, that is inevitable and they may not understand it. Other people need not know. I did not tell anyone at work except my bestie. And I told 3 other close friends an my immediate family. To this day, it is my business. When I was in the phase where I could not eat much I would have my go to excuses why I was eating so little. "I ate a big lunch" if it was dinner." "I am going out to a nice dinner tonight so I do not want to eat too much now." "My stomach is feeling kind of iffy." I also had the added perk of my hubby eating off my plate to take away some of my food. I was sleeved on Nov 3, 2016 and had to do Thanksgiving with all my extended family. I managed to move around, put food sneakily from my plate to hubby and kids plates, and spread the leftovers around to make it look like I ate a normal amount. Christmas was the same. Luckily we have big gatherings so it is a bit easier when it is not small and intimate where people are looking at you the whole time.