Surgeon
    Reising
    Last Activity
    03-12-2020 05:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Post New here

I've been lurking for awhile now, but just now decided to join.
    I have been over weight since after my first child. I never lost the "baby weight" and kept gaining. My entire family is big. As a child all females were on the heavy side. The largest in the family is only about 280, which I know for a lot is not very big at all. But I don't want to be this big anymore. I finally got up the nerve to call our insurance company and see if WLS was covered, and who was in our plan to get an appointment. It took me 2 months after I got the info to set up to go to the seminar. I was getting excited. Hubby is OK with it, but would much rather I loose the weight and not have the surgery. Then Hurricane Michael came, We don't live in Panama City anymore, but that is where I'm from, and His dad was there. A week after the storm and we still had not been able to get in contact with anyone (Phone towers were down, Verizon, which we all have, didn't get towers up for almost a month) So we loaded up the truck, and headed south. We spent about 3 weeks away from home (travel time and clean up at our parents houses). So that meant I had to miss the seminar. So on the drive back home, I set up another appointment, this time, just to see the Dr. As that time was getting closer, again I was getting excited to see him to see if I was even qualified. That's when round 2 hit us. My father in law passed away, my son found him... We knew he was going downhill fast when we were in Florida, we even begged him to move back with us, but he refused. So we got the first flights we could get, and back to Florida we went, for another 2.5 weeks. So again, I had to miss my appointment. 2 trips in less than 2 months, cross country (we now live in Idaho). At this time, I decided to just wait until after the first of the year to try to restart this journey. I got my appointment the first week of January, hoping this year would start out better. My first appointment went good. 4 months of supervised dieting not gaining, and No missing appointments, nutritionist, and be above 40 BMI. At the appointment I was at 41. so that sorta worried me, but hubby was happy, he is hoping we could do it with just the help of the nutritionist, but I'm not so sure. I am worried I will drop below the 40, and not qualify, I know I should not want surgery, but I have failed so many other times in the past. I got my next appointment scheduled, and work decided I needed to go to a 5 week class...So again, I have missed my appointment. I have to start over (I'm just glad I have only had one appointment, not 3) During this 5 weeks (I'm living in a hotel, eating fast food or microwaveable foods only). I have no idea what my weight is doing, but as sad as it sounds I'm not really worried about it to much since I'm so close. Is that wrong? When I get back, I already have another appointment set up, and we will see where I'm at.
    I think that is all about me. Sorry about the book.

2. The following 14 users said welcome CMHG to GastricSleeve.com!

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: New here

Consider yourself lucky to have insurance coverage. The classes are really important, as it all gets overwhelming at first. There's so much to learn about vitamins, protein drinks, etc. I practically had a "bible" of instructions for before, during, and after surgery. So my advice is to try to be patient and do whatever is recommended. It is SO worth it! Best of luck to you. Here's to a wonderful 2019!

5. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Russ
    Surgery date
    03/28/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. M. Cox
    Last Activity
    09-26-2022 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 45 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I think "sraebaer" gave you the best advise when she said "be patient". I think this has been mentally challenging for me emotionally.

I so thought I'd go to class, read material, and have to make a decision.

I started 09/18 and still today have not met with a surgeon. ( I do have a completed chart, and I'm awaiting a call).

But I think the thing I've learned the most is "BE PATIENT" stay true to course, but don't get mentally prepared for a quick turn around.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I was self pay, so not so many hoops to go through, other than my bariatric surgeon's, which were pretty strict. It was all jammed into 2 weeks, and I was VERY overwhelmed by it all. Sometimes its good to have time to put it all into some place in our thinking. It certainly will ensure success for you!
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I gained a little to make sure I had some extra safety net before I started my process as I could not drop below 40 either. But all the hoops are worth it and I can also tell you that I could not have lost all this weight and maintained the weight loss without my sleeve. Best decision I ever made.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents