Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Default The pre op diet and why it is necessary

The pre op diet is not for loosing weight before the surgery.
    The pre diet serves a very important purpose, which is to shrink the liver, which makes it easier for the surgical team to operate on you.
    Not only is it easier, but there is less change of damaging the liver during the procedure.
    I always think that the medical team are a lot of people, the surgeon, her/his staff, the nutricionist, the psychologist and last but not least: you and me.
    Yes, I consider myself as part of the team.
    They do their part and I am expected to do my part.
    And that includes the pre op diet.
    No, that is no fun.
    But giving birth is no fun either and yet many women do that, even more than once.

But I am surprised over and over again, about the wining of some people about these last couple of days before surgery.
    They are very willing to have 80% of their stomach amputated, as in: gone, taken out, never growing back, but are making a big fuss about that diet?
    Come on people, please?
    Just shut up and do it.
    You will get through this.
    And frankly (yes even more), how do you actually think you will manage to control your eating habits after the surgery, if you can't do it for those couple of weeks before surgery?
    Just my two cents.

https://www.somabariatrics.com/blog/...-loss-surgery/

The best of luck for every one that is still waiting for their surgery!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The pre op diet and why it is necessary

Clap. Clap. Clap.

DutchSleeve I've been thinking the same thing. If you can commit to two weeks or 10 days for the pre-op, how are you prepared for a life-changing surgery that will forever be your best tool for controlling that which you have not been able to control yourself?

You nailed the why of the pre op. Your liver is the organ that filters out the fat you lose; when you are obese, it often ends up with fatty-liver infiltration where it cannot do its job at optimum effectiveness.

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is a condition in which fat builds up in your liver. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) is a type of NAFLD. If you have NASH, you have inflammation and liver cell damage, along with fat in your liver. It is an often painful condition, but like all "hepatitis" it is a serious liver condition.

Don't take the processes lightly -- your surgical team (including you) have this worked out for your safety and best success.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

So true! The whining about food drives me C.R.A.Z.Y. Do you want to be fat the rest of your life or do you want to be healthy and regular-sized? Talk about a no brainer.

And then people not following the rules, so dangerous, especially early on. They obviously have insurance, because you can bet that I was going to follow every rule to the T when I was shelling out $14,000 of my cold, hard cash.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Grammy2s&c's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-19-2019 10:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times

Well don't listen. Maybe think in your head. These are real concerns. Try to have some compassion. Smfh

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for making my point.
    When a minor inconvenience is cause for concern to you, then I truly wonder about how you are going to handle the things you will encounter after the surgery.
    Now i am shaking my head. (not f*cking head though).
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Grammy2s&c View Post
    Well don't listen. Maybe think in your head. These are real concerns. Try to have some compassion. Smfh
    We do have compassion. We are telling you that the rules are for your safety and long term success. We care that you do the right thing to reach your goals. When your doctor told you what to do for pre-op you said, "I can't and won't stick to it." Not a good way to start this journey.

What kind of compassion are you looking for? Someone to say to do whatever you want, don't listen to your surgeon? Or someone to say "Sorry you have to follow a pre-op diet."

You can do this. It's not that difficult! Make it fun and it will be. I can tell you nothing is more thrilling than transforming into a healthy, happy, regular-sized person. It's been over 5 years, so I know a little about what I'm talking about.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Annie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    11-29-2020 11:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3,565 Times
    Was Thanked 1,143 Times in 760 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 271 Times
    Blog Entries

I think we are indeed compassionate; we are also women "of a certain age", and many of us have learned the hardest way possible about things.

Telling someone a fairy tale about what you can do, or that you can do what you want, is not kind at all. It's allowing a person to possibly end up quite ill, or dehyrdated, or have a major surgical complication that, if instructions were followed as your physician said, wouldn't happen.

I agree, sraebaer, we paid over $13,300 out of pocket, and when I add up the per lb price, omg. It was worth it for the health, but that amount of money out of our savings was a sacrifice, and I'll be doggoned if I'm going to have done that, and then not do my part to succeed.

End of rant.
    [I]HW: 240 lbs SW: 199 lbs GW: 140 lbs

1 MO = 167.0 2 MO = 156.4 3 MO = 148.4 4 MO = 140.6
    5 M) = 136.0 6 MO = 130.0
    1 YR = 122.0 2 YR = 140.00 2.5 YR = 139
    Happy with my weight; happy with my size; over-the-moon with my health!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

DutchSleeve, sraebaer, AnnieG you guys are the best! x

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/12/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. George Woodman
    Last Activity
    08-26-2019 11:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

CANNOT AGREE MORE.

Compassion sometimes means being honest (even brutally so) and upfront...and the vast majority of us can say, "Been there, done that," and we have the surgical scars to prove it.

I can understand being presented with the pre-op diet and feeling scared/nervous. EVERYTHING about this process can be scary. But so is dying from being obese or having co-morbidities. Being scared or nervous doesn't excuse a person from things that are medically necessary to ensure a successful surgical outcome.

So, "Don't listen." isn't really an option here. For those of us who have fought (and paid handsomely...I'm a self-payee, too, and that's probably been my number one motivator thru all this!) to get where we are, we believe we ARE being compassionate when we say...with as much love as we can, even if there's some frustration along with it...put on your big girl panties, follow your pre-op diet/instructions, and join us on the other end for a life that's healthy and full of fun.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I can tell you that I am always concerned when people say that they eat whatever they want and are losing weight. They are proud of that fact. Thing is that for most people (I won't say all as there are exceptions) if you don't change your attitude towards food and health, you will eventually gain the weight back. Could take a year, or two, or five but rest assured...you will gain it back. This is not magic that allows you to eat as you did before but stay thin. I am not saying that you have to be perfect all the time. This process is about a healthier lifestyle and it is for life. Did the pre op suck...yes and I had the added joy of getting thrush. But it was totally worth it.

21. Said thanks: